"SpamCop could not find your spam message in this email" - but it's there!

lisali

I found this thread that talks about cPanel removing attachements after you forward.

This this spot on the cPanel where you have to allow attachments to head to users.  I am not sure why anyone would make attachment filter a default.

https://forums.cpanel.net/threads/forward-all-mail-with-attachments.388212/

1 hour ago, gnarlymarley said:

I found this thread that talks about cPanel removing attachements after you forward.

This this spot on the cPanel where you have to allow attachments to head to users.  I am not sure why anyone would make attachment filter a default.

https://forums.cpanel.net/threads/forward-all-mail-with-attachments.388212/

Hi,

Thanks so much for your message.

Hmm. I'm not sure it's the same issue. SpamCop seems to throw this message randomly. It's not about missing attachments or a blank body. The headers are there. The body is there. I don't get it.

The reply email (with subject of something like "[SpamCop] Errors encountered") should have some headers near the bottom.  Since this email was not able to submit the spam, it does not contain a tracking URL.  The bottom of the email should contain the message or part of it that was attempted to be submitted.  If it only has part, you can compare the " Content-Type" to see if your sent email has the same boundary tag.  Usually when I had issues in the past, it was due to my mail client not aways sending it as an attachment.

If you are not able to figure this out, my email from years ago, suggested to email the service address to get more information.

Please check your email for an explanation or email
service@admin.spamcop.net for more information.

I would not be surprised if cPanel is doing some sort of spam filtering and randomly removing attachments for you.

6 minutes ago, gnarlymarley said:

The reply email (with subject of something like "[SpamCop] Errors encountered") should have some headers near the bottom.  Since this email was not able to submit the spam, it does not contain a tracking URL.  The bottom of the email should contain the message or part of it that was attempted to be submitted.  If it only has part, you can compare the " Content-Type" to see if your sent email has the same boundary tag.  Usually when I had issues in the past, it was due to my mail client not aways sending it as an attachment.

If you are not able to figure this out, my email from years ago, suggested to email the service address to get more information.

Please check your email for an explanation or email
service@admin.spamcop.net for more information.

I would not be surprised if cPanel is doing some sort of spam filtering and randomly removing attachments for you.

Hi,

Thanks so much for your message. I have emailed the SpamCop service email, but have received no response. I've turned off spam filtering in cPanel, so it should not be it. All emails with attachments are forwarded just fine. Confused!

Just to clarify: are you reporting spam that HAS attachments, or are you forwarding the spam AS an attachment?

(Side note: my username is a bad transliteration of the Samoan version of my real name. I am NOT the same person as lisali.)

Hi all,

I'm still getting LOADS of issues with SpamCop rejecting reports.

As mentioned, I am forwarding emails to my unique reporting email via the cPanel forwarding feature. It seems these errors are showing up regardless of if the email has an attachment or not. I am not sure how cPanel forwards the emails, but I don't think it's as attachments.

Thanks!

Have you tried adding yourself to the list cPanel sends spam to so you can see how spam is being sent to SpamCop?  Have you check with cPanel or that application's user group?  What I am suggesting is that the problem is how your spam submissions are being formatted that is causing the problem.

To answer your last post:  Click the <Browse> tab in the upper left of this screen, Then click on <Staff>.  Finely click on "Richard W" and then send Richard a message.

39 minutes ago, Lking said:

Have you tried adding yourself to the list cPanel sends spam to so you can see how spam is being sent to SpamCop?  Have you check with cPanel or that application's user group?  What I am suggesting is that the problem is how your spam submissions are being formatted that is causing the problem.

To answer your last post:  Click the <Browse> tab in the upper left of this screen, Then click on <Staff>.  Finely click on "Richard W" and then send Richard a message.

Thanks for your response!

I have previously had a number of personal forwarders set up in Cpanel, and they arrive like any regular email would - header, body, attachments. I can't seem to figure out what is causing the issue and I'd love to fix it as reporting spam is very important to me.

Many thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Wow. What a disappointment. After getting in touch with one of the deputies, and not getting any help from them, I get this:

"I'm not sure what you are waiting for as a response.  If the method you are using is not working, it's not working.  SpamCop expects the spam to come as an attachment.  If your method can't follow that, it won't work."

There seems to be no willingness to help here. At all. I am trying to contribute to both SpamCop and the anti-spam community, but this does not seem to be appreciated. There was no investigation. No solutions offered. Nada.

1 hour ago, lisali said:

Wow. What a disappointment. After getting in touch with one of the deputies, and not getting any help from them, I get this:

"I'm not sure what you are waiting for as a response.  If the method you are using is not working, it's not working.  SpamCop expects the spam to come as an attachment.  If your method can't follow that, it won't work."

There seems to be no willingness to help here. At all. I am trying to contribute to both SpamCop and the anti-spam community, but this does not seem to be appreciated. There was no investigation. No solutions offered. Nada.

Had the same issue. No where did I that spam was to be reported with the spam as an attachment. Figured out how to do that and it works!

For those needing direction SpamCop Website

In the upper right hand corner click on <Help>

Select <Parsing and reporting service>

Now select <How do I submit spam via email?>

Forward as an attachment your spam to the personal reporting address shown on your front page. You will get back a reply with already-authorized URLs for reporting the spam at the address you used to register for SpamCop with.

or directly How do I submit spam via email?

Given the changing universe of OS, email applications, and web-email application, combination of these and random versions of each, the user needs to know their own tools and select tools that meet their needs.  As you read through the post on this forum you will see where SpamCop reporters have found that, without notice, approaches that have worked in the passed stop working.  Web-email is a prime example where Google or Yahoo update software without notice to users.  Another example, would be a host supplied application like cPanel.  Each host configures cPanel to meet what they expect to be their users needs, security requirements and I would guess to make it easy for them to maintain. 

There are many combinations that work with SpamCop submission.  I have used several versions of Windows OS, currently Windows 10, and Thunderbird, currently version 45.4.0.  There is even a configurable add-on to submit selected spam, HabuL.  This combination has worked for me for several years.  I POP or IMAP email for several sources including a supported account on Bluehost, which uses cPanel.

What comes to mined is "If you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail." or is it "If you have a nail, everything looks like a hammer." In either case, if the tool you have doesn't work...  </snarky>

Archived