[Resolved] Suggestion: Add a suggestion box

newhorizon

If you took a look at recently posted topics, you would see that Wazoo has already used your suggestion in a discussion of how the forums could be made more useful.

I skimmed your topic - and again if you had 'lurked' a little, you would have known that the Lounge is actually being used for very different purposes than what is stated in the title so you wouldn't have felt dev/nulled.

Miss Betsy

If you took a look at recently posted topics, you would see that Wazoo has already used your suggestion in a discussion of how the forums could be made more useful.

How much time would I have needed to spend to keep tabs on other topics to be able to discern that? (Yes, OK, don't tell me: if I had read them, I'd know *this* answer too!) :|

So anyway, that's a "nay" to the suggestion box idea...?

if you had 'lurked' a little, you would have known that the Lounge is actually being used for very different purposes than what is stated in the title

I understand what netiquette says about lurking.

But it says nothing about faulting a newbie for not dismissing what's clearly stated. :(

How much time would I have needed to spend to keep tabs on other topics to be able to discern that? (Yes, OK, don't tell me: if I had read them, I'd know *this* answer too!) :|

So anyway, that's a "nay" to the suggestion box idea...?

...IIUC, it's a "yes" to your idea. :) <g>

if you had 'lurked' a little, you would have known that the Lounge is actually being used for very different purposes than what is stated in the title

But it says nothing about faulting a newbie for not dismissing what's clearly stated. :(

...Now ya know! :D <big g>

But it says nothing about faulting a newbie for not dismissing what's clearly stated.

Sorry to be so grumpy, but I didn't think that the way that Wazoo moved the topic to the Lounge warranted a comeback on your part. You could have guessed that there was a reason.

Your suggestion was in a fairly recent topic where Wazoo asked especially for comments. And the last five (it seemed like) of my posts had to do with either pinned topics or ones that had just been answered.

There are so many posts when one first comes to a forum that you could spend way too much time lurking to find out what's going on. However, reading the ones posted today or yesterday would give you a little bit of a handle on what's being discussed and whether your suggestion would have merit.

It also doesn't help to have a thin skin when you are in a forum where there are many techies. They tend to be short and to the point in their opinions - which isn't to say they are unhelpful or unfriendly.

Miss Betsy

But it says nothing about faulting a newbie for not dismissing what's clearly stated.

Sorry to be so grumpy, but I didn't think that the way that Wazoo moved the topic to the Lounge warranted a comeback on your part. You could have guessed that there was a reason.

Your suggestion was in a fairly recent topic where Wazoo asked especially for comments. And the last five (it seemed like) of my posts had to do with either pinned topics or ones that had just been answered.

There are so many posts when one first comes to a forum that you could spend way too much time lurking to find out what's going on. However, reading the ones posted today or yesterday would give you a little bit of a handle on what's being discussed and whether your suggestion would have merit.

It also doesn't help to have a thin skin when you are in a forum where there are many techies. They tend to be short and to the point in their opinions - which isn't to say they are unhelpful or unfriendly.

...Here's a rare occasion for me to disagree entirely with Miss Betsy (there always a first, isn't there? <g>). Even as a relatively long-time user of these fora, I entirely identify with newhorizon's disorientation. (S)he had a suggestion, looked at the descriptions of the fora, disgarded based on that description what would have seemed from its name (Lounge) the most appopriate place, posted in what looked to be the next-most appropriate forum, only to find the thread moved to the Lounge! Please don't blame the victim! There's no evidence of thin skin in any of newhorizon's posts that I can see, simply a bit of very, very understandable frustration.

...And, yes, I know the only one who can do anything about it is JT and he isn't so inclined. We more experienced users will just have to continue to gently guide the less experienced in these matters until the new forum layout that you and Wazoo have been working gets implemented.

...Chill, please!

In all fairness, there was also the issue of timing involved. As usual, I got into pounding a lot of words in one post, then exercised the Moderator function to "Move" the topic when I hit the "Add Reply" button. I then went to PM newhorizon about the "Move" but answered a number of waiting PM's, thus my notification was a bit late. The timing of the posts looks like I moved it while newhorizons was still "in place" There may have been a browser issue when the location changed ..?? Bringing in thoughts of another post, another Topic, ah yes, this is more of what the old retired military guy is familiar with <G>

In all fairness, there was also the issue of timing involved. As usual, I got into pounding a lot of words in one post, then exercised the Moderator function to "Move" the topic when I hit the "Add Reply" button. I then went to PM newhorizon about the "Move" but answered a number of waiting PM's, thus my notification was a bit late. The timing of the posts looks like I moved it while newhorizons was still "in place" There may have been a browser issue when the location changed ..?? Bringing in thoughts of another post, another Topic, ah yes, this is more of what the old retired military guy is familiar with <G>

...Non-moderators: ever notice how it's always the people who have the least to apologize for and contribute the most to an enterprise are always the ones who are the readiest to apologize their rare and small mistakes? :) <g>

If the SpamCop powers that be are open to suggestions, :) then how about adding a discussion forum which accepts suggestions for improving SpamCop?

Under the Topic at Forum configuration, additions, changes, input requested , there's a suggested Forum with a description of;

*SpamCop New Feature / Modification Suggestion

*A Forum for possible features / changes to the codebase or user interface, specific situational problems and the like.  Noting that the Reporting side is handled by Julian, the e-mail side by JT, responses and implementation may or may not occur.

This doesn't count?

There's no evidence of thin skin in any of newhorizon's posts that I can see, simply a bit of very, very understandable frustration.

Frustration, yes. But those who know me well know my skin is thinner than it oughtta be. So me-thinks you're BOTH right. :D

Under the Topic at Forum configuration, additions, changes, input requested , there's a suggested Forum with a description of;

I want to spend more time looking that over than I have today. Off hand, looks good. Later.

• 11 months later...

Archived