Submission produces: No body text provided, check format of submission. spam must have body text.

remay

Submitted email directly at spamcop website using the " Paste entire spam (headers, blank line, body) " method, like I do with all the other submissions I make. But this one produced:

2a00:1450:400c:c09:0:0:0:243 not listed in cbl.abuseat.org
2a00:1450:400c:c09:0:0:0:243 not listed in dnsbl.sorbs.net
2a00:1450:400c:c09:0:0:0:243 not listed in accredit.habeas.com
2a00:1450:400c:c09:0:0:0:243 not listed in plus.bondedsender.org
2a00:1450:400c:c09:0:0:0:243 not listed in iadb.isipp.com

No body text provided, check format of submission. spam must have body text.

When viewing the email, there is clearly a body.

The email was retrieved directly from gmail's "Original message" output, and pasted into the website field, just like others that I have submitted.

There is one blank line separating the headers from the body. I tried adding more, with no better result.

Seems spamcop has an issue processing this email:

https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6322627898zb99bde9cef22f4244354756ef95903c3z

Without regard to the method of submitting the spam, the overall problem seems to be the same.  Looking at your Tracking URL I see that the results is also the same as observed in the other thread; the parser is not seeing the body (which in the passed cause the parser to stop) but continues to send reports and feed the SCBL.

So in both cases with a properly submitted email, there seems to be something in the format or content of the email which causes the parser not to "see" the body.  There also seems to have been a change made to the parser so that although the body is not "see" the header is processed and reports sent. Which would indicate that the-powers-that-be are aware and are working on the issue.

re: " the header is processed and reports sent "

No report was "sent" or processed. There was nothing in the report history webpage. See below.

So... I doubt anyone is looking into the issue. I guess I submitted to the wrong forum...

Submitted: 10/23/2016, 11:57:18 AM -0500: 
DEAR FRIEND, CAN I TRUST YOU? 
No reports filed

Submitted: 10/23/2016, 11:46:21 AM -0500: 
No reports filed

Submitted: 10/23/2016, 11:42:44 AM -0500: 
No reports filed

Submitted: 10/23/2016, 11:33:20 AM -0500: 
No reports filed

Submitted: 10/23/2016, 11:32:53 AM -0500: 
DEAR FRIEND, CAN I TRUST YOU? SPF: PASS with IP 2a00:1450:400c:c09:0:0:0:243... 
No reports filed

Submitted: 10/23/2016, 11:32:19 AM -0500: 
No reports filed

Submitted: 10/23/2016, 11:26:39 AM -0500: 
No reports filed

• 1 year later...

Same problem ("no body text") happening with a deluge of spam from various numeric strings @qq.com (Chinese)
I've been trying "forward as attachment" but spamcop rejects these.

There is no visible body text.

A read receipt is usually requested.

Some of the spams come with malware attached.

I've blocked @qq.com as graymail at my ISP, but since my ISP uses the Spamcop block list, I'd really like to be able to report this spam.

On 10/24/2016 at 4:02 AM, remay said:

When viewing the email, there is clearly a body.

There needs to be a blank 2 line separation from  headers and body of spam?

OK, so I guess I have to "forward inline" to add blank lines, rather than "forward as attachment"
But no joy.  Here's what the spam looks like -- I added the blank lines to the forward:
Note the spam is coming via Spamcop, I have email forwarded from that old Spamcop address.

________ORIGINAL FOLLOWS______as forwarded inline to Spamcop reporting service, which won't handle it:
"Spamcop could not find the spam message in this mail"

---
I'm nobody.

-------- Original Message --------

Subject:    12哈喽!现邀您领188圆 请在【554628点com】注册VIP 详情企鹅专员【2813339771】咨询VIP周周领工资 俸禄月月拿 天天都有红包雨 实力平台 出款安全保障
Date:    2018-04-25 20:14
To:    <[me]/@spamcop.net>

blank
blank
blank

this is spam

Edited by hank

• 1 year later...

I don't understand why there must be body text. So, all a spammer has to do is put the spam message entirely in the subject line, with no body text, and then SpamCop is unable to process his spam? I get this message whenever I submit spam from a spammer who has recognized this way to be unreportable to SpamCop. When all spammers have figured this out, and put all their spam messages into the subject line with no body text, then SpamCop will become completely useless? So SpamCop is really so easy for spammers to get around? Am I missing something here?

Edited by dr_bobbs
fix wording

25 minutes ago, dr_bobbs said:

I don't understand why there must be body text. So, all a spammer has to do is put the spam message entirely in the subject line, with no body text, and then SpamCop is unable to process his spam? I get this message whenever I submit spam from a spammer who has recognized this way to be unreportable to SpamCop. When all spammers have figured this out, and put all their spam messages into the subject line with no body text, then SpamCop will become completely useless? So SpamCop is really so easy for spammers to get around? Am I missing something here?

Question: before you submit the spam without body, are you able to write

<empty line>
spam completely encompassed in subject line

with <empty line> actually being an empty line and not the words and angled brackets ;) ?

3 minutes ago, hank said:

One problem with editing spam -- you have to open it.

Not such a good idea when it may be loaded with malware.

well, when you submit the spam (depending on the way you submit it -- specifically in my case, copying and pasting the spam into the submission box in SC) you already got the raw spam, and as long as you don't click on any spam links (and also have a reliable anti-virus running on your system) you should be all good ...

21 minutes ago, hank said:

Using Mac Mail, I just right-click and "forward as attachment" to the Spamcop reporting address.

got it. although now-a-days there are not many email programs that let you attach emails (including headers).

forward them, yes, but you lose the mail's identity.

I believe many email providers changed that to protect their breadgivers/spammers...

• 3 weeks later...

OK, now I am trying to submit spam from gmail that clearly DOES have a line of body text; but I still get this error message: 

"

SpamCop v 5.1.0 © 2019 Cisco Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.
Here is your TRACKING URL - it may be saved for future reference:
https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6584873459z5344c0b39e5e54d496f00cfa617f17c6z

If reported today, reports would be sent to:

Re: 209.85.220.65 (Administrator of network where email originates)

network-abuse@google.com

"

I have tried inserting one or more blank lines, or extra lines of explanatory text. Still get the same error message.

Submitting by pasting (since forwarding as an attachment looks like 1000x more effort than I wanted to spend to report one spam!)

4 hours ago, dr_bobbs said:

1000x more effort than I wanted to spend to report one spam!)

Understand that.  There are times when I just trow away some examples.

Looking at some of my current spam it looks like the last "Content-Type:" may be out of place.  I would suggest after you past in the spam, insert a blank line after the "To: undisclosed-recipients:;" line.

Just a suggestion.  The parser should still see you email address in the Bcc line in the body and "x" it.

7 hours ago, dr_bobbs said:

Also for Gmail spam using it's "Webmail" option mark it as phishing

On 10/25/2019 at 10:07 AM, dr_bobbs said:

OK, now I am trying to submit spam from gmail that clearly DOES have a line of body text; but I still get this error message: 

"

If reported today, reports would be sent to:

Re: 209.85.220.65 (Administrator of network where email originates)

network-abuse@google.com

"

I have tried inserting one or more blank lines, or extra lines of explanatory text. Still get the same error message.

Submitting by pasting (since forwarding as an attachment looks like 1000x more effort than I wanted to spend to report one spam!)

Same here. I have had problems with reporting gmail users sending spam to SC and getting the "No body text provided, check format of submission. spam must have body text."