Spam-Friendly or not?

mrmaxx

I apparently clicked on a "my points" link recently and filled out some info. They are "double-opt-in" but I'm suspicious of giving ANY organization that sort of information just to earn discount passes to restaurants, etc.

Wondering if anyone has any information on them? Any SC users a member of MyPoints? I don't buy all that much on-line, but it would be nice to earn some bonuses once in awhile if it's safe! :-)

Thanks...

Mods-- feel free to move this to a different forum if you like. Wasn't sure where it would be most on-topic, but since it covered spammy issues, I thought I'd post it here. :)

I apparently clicked on a "my points" link recently and filled out some info. They are "double-opt-in" but I'm suspicious of giving ANY organization that sort of information just to earn discount passes to restaurants, etc.

'Double 0pt-in' is a derogatory term that was coined by spammers in order to make "confirmed opt-in" appear to be a redundant burden being imposed on email marketers. Anyone claiming to be "double 0pt-in" is either

1. admitting to being a spammer
  2. deriding a procedure intended to protect both the recipients and senders
  3. or is announcing their ignorance.

NEVER trust any sender that claims to be double 0pt-in.

It's a scam, before you know it, they will charge 70 some bucks on your crdit card. Do a search on them at Better Business Bureau!

Thanks... Looking at the BBB info is not very encouraging. Frankly, I'm not positive I remember asking to sign up in the first place... I suspect I may have partially completed that during a survey a few weeks ago for an online vendor I use (NewEgg) but I don't know for sure.

Guess I'll nuke that email I received from them to avoid accidentally clicking on the "confirm."

Another question is whether they will abide by my wishes if I click on the "remove me" link.... Probably not. :(

MyPoints (and several other of the same ilk) get messy, to say the least. Putting it all into place, basically runs your browser through a proxy server, such that all your buying habits get included into "your" bonus stuff .... I don't think I can tell you how many systems I've taken this garbage off of in order to get them back into working condition ... and of those folks, I can't recall a one that said "it was a great deal, I'm going to miss it" ....???? I've yet to be surprised at a second visit to one of these folks and found that they'd re-installed it.

MyPoints (and several other of the same ilk) get messy, to say the least.  Putting it all into place, basically runs your browser through a proxy server, such that all your buying habits get included into "your" bonus stuff ....  (snip)

Heh... they'd have a hard time doing that with me... I don't run WinDoze... :-) And they really can't do anything much to my browser under linux without my permission, which I don't give 'em... :-)

Hard to believe how handy that BBB search engine can be. There were times when I answer my phone to such companies promissing the moon and the stars. I told them hold on and while they were waiting I started reading to them the BBB complains. Very comforting and reassuring.

MyPoints (and several other of the same ilk) get messy, to say the least.  Putting it all into place, basically runs your browser through a proxy server, such that all your buying habits get included into "your" bonus stuff ....  (snip)

Heh... they'd have a hard time doing that with me... I don't run WinDoze... :-) And they really can't do anything much to my browser under linux without my permission, which I don't give 'em... :-)

But, then you'd be hard pressed to "earn those points" and see the "specialized deals, just for you" that are part f "the package" ...

I've been a member of MyPoints since the old days when I didn't know a durn thing about spam. I haven't downloaded their little toolbar, but I did sign up to receive promo e-mails (to a specified Yahoo account that goes on all sign ups to anything), and all I do is click a link to accumulate points. They're not tracking my browsing habits because I have nothing from them installed. They just know that I'm utilizing the links. I really don't care about that part.

I've gotten a lot of free stuff for clicking those links. I don't have any complaints.

Archived