How Does MailHosting Work? What Happens Next?

djkla

Hello,

I'm so sorry if this is included elsewhere - I've searched, but many dead topic threads and no answer that I can find.

Now that I've registered my mail accounts for the the accounts I wish to report spam for (included @me and one other domain), what happens next?  This isn't really clear in the MailHost info tab.

Does spam still come to my Apple Mail Client? Do I do the same process of reporting spam (Junk)? 

Do I still Report via the Report spam tab (after 3 days per instructions) And if so, what was the point of registering my mailhosts?

Thanks in advance!

With the webmail for the providers I've used (Yahoo and gmail) the "Report spam" button usually goes through the provider's spam handling procedures, which usually have little or nothing to do with any SpamCop reporting account I have. I normally have to forward the spam to SpamCop myself. You can either submit the spam manually using the form when you've logged into SpamCop, or forward the spam as an attachment to the email address that should be shown on the page you see when you first log in to SpamCop (the reporting site, not the forum).

Thanks, lisati, got that. But what is the point of doing the mailhosting registration and all that?  And I have another question - how do you deal with the increasing amount of spam that comes in with no headers? Getting to be more and more of that.

Thanks.

The point of registering "mailhosts" on your spamcop reporting account is to help Spamcop distinguish between your email provider and the other providers which may (or may not) be the true source of unwanted email. There's very little point in reports being sent your provider, or adding their details to the "spam source database" when their only role was to deliver it to your inbox or junk folder.

As I understand it, the role Spamcop plays in the mix is to try to identify the true source of unwanted email, and build a database of known spam sources. They make this available via the Spamcop Blocing list. Any reports it sends to providers is a bonus, and any problems that fixed as a result is a double bonus. It is freely available for email providers to use as part of their spam filtering processes.

The "report spam" button that some providers have as part of their webmail service is usually more limited in its scope, and usually only helps that particular provider tune its spam filters.

Archived