Sent mail error

Thanks Steven, but looking at the www.spamcop.net page, (you say equivelant, and I know that for parsing purposes, I can swap someone's "mailsc" with "www" and get to the same data, but ..?) ... I'm now lost as to the problem as described .. I see that E-Mail is the next item on the list, with the description including "if you have a SpamCop e-mail account .." .. then of course, the mail-host listing ...

Yes, I'll agree that there isn't a link on that page that drops you at the top of the Forums, but for someone looking for "help" at that point, it seems easy enough to follow the targeted links ..???

My point is someone reads the description to the first pause (comma)"If you are having trouble using SpamCop,", says, "Why yes I am" and click the link without reading any further. If the person reads the entire page, it becomes clear (at least to me, but I've been here a while) that the service is split into 2 main parts and there is a decision to be made. I don't think the normal person will read the entire page but will stop when they find a section that seems to match their problem.

OK .. I've got a grandmother type that I tried to make things easier for support through the use of VNC. Unfortunately, at present, this means that I have to talk her through turning of XP's firewall. The last time through this, maybe 45+ minutes lost in the confusion of her "reading" the screen contents. The critical screen has like three lines of text (which is where she focused and thus there was nothing seen that looked like anything I was describing) ... and the problem was that she was actually needing to pay attention to one of several icons elsewhere on that screen (one of which was labelled with exactly the words I kept repeating) ... exasperating at both ends of the phone line .... her thoughts of "how the hell am I supposed to notice that" vice my thoughts of "how the hell could you not see it" <g> ... big blue "world" icon labelled "Network Properties" and my instructions of "right click on Network properties" .... but again, all she "sees" is the three lines of text, making no mention of the other numerous icons ....

My problem (sure I'll admit it) is that I come from the day when "the manual" for a system was a collection of manuals in the hundred's of pounds, filling numerous bookshelves, and even if there was an Index, one had to know the appropriate lingo for that system to take a stab as to how the "problem" might actually be described in that manufacturer's parlance. And being in the usual position of being the "guy in charge" thus also being the defacto subject matter expert, and the deadline was last week <g> ..... maybe I could blame some of the conditioning provided by those wonderful world-wide "tours" the U.S. Government so thoughtfully provided in my military career <g> .. such that I tend not to discount "items in the environment" that may lead to other "scenarios" ... good or bad <g>

Yes, I understand your points, and am admitting again that it's hard for me to flow that way most times <g>

Archived