Semantics of "Spam will cease"

WMTyson

In a SpamCop mail page, there is a section

[button: spam will cease](account terminated)

By using this option, you tell spamcop that you have taken action against this spammer/system and/or you do not expect further spam regarding this issue. Usually this means the account has been terminated. Users trying to report this spam will be told that the issue is already resolved.

A person who got a bounce message for a forged message allegedly from him to our site reported that bounce message. (The mail was to a mailing list where the software rejected his mail because he was not a member. Unfortunately the mailing list's bounce message was not according to RFC1894, but is obviously a bounce message.) I'm not interested in getting this person in trouble (I can imagine their confusion), but I do want to clear this report.

The page linked to by the report gives two buttons

spam will cease

Append note only

In our case, there was no spam. The sysadmin that responded to this report has declined to push this button because there was no spam and no action was taken. If it is correct to click on "spam will cease", I would urge a more clear statement that indicates this button is to be used if the report was in error.

Elsewhere ( http://news.spamcop.net/cgi-bin/fom?file=146 ) I found a distinction between resolved and innocent. I don't want to say "resolved" if "innocent" is the correct response.

Is it correct to use that button, or is there a different way to resolve this?

The ID on the incident is 658728925

Thanks....

The page linked to by the report gives two buttons

spam will cease

Append note only

In our case, there was no spam. The sysadmin that responded to this report has declined to push this button because there was no spam and no action was taken.  If it is correct to click on "spam will cease", I would urge a more clear statement that indicates this button is to be used if the report was in error.

Elsewhere ( http://news.spamcop.net/cgi-bin/fom?file=146 ) I found a distinction between resolved and innocent.  I don't want to say "resolved" if "innocent" is the correct response.

Is it correct to use that button, or is there a different way to resolve this?

The ID on the incident is 658728925

Thanks....

We know that the buttons don't fit all known circumstances -- you can also leave a message using the note button if you'd like. In this case, as the report is for an injecting IP I assume, the spam will cease button turns off reports for 24 hours -- it is designed for the situation where an abuse person is working on an issue and doesn't need to see any more reports. The reports still count towards the blocklist altho they don't get sent.

It is not necessary to push any buttons -- if you want to you can use the notes button to leave a message in the system.

And yes doing something about the buttons is on the to-do list however it is not the highest priority item on the list and yes, people have complained about this for a while ....

Archived