Spam lists it's origin as coming from *me* ?

doc_sandy

There is very little information here, so I am going to make some general comments to your question.

First of all, never reply to any spam message as it will only confirm your address is live and that you will see the message. The spammer is likely to sell your address to other spammers. I personnally think this is the only way they make money.

The spamcop parser only looks at the IP addresses, not email addresses, the mail has travelled through to determine the source, so reporting through spamcop should give you no problems.

If you use the spamcop blocklist in some way (ISP or spamcop email account), and more than 1 person has reported this spam, it wil be blocked (or held).

Blacklisting, in general, is not a very effective way of blocking unwanted email, especially spam, as it rarely has the same sender address.

Well, I am trying to say that in mailwasher, the header shows the email as coming to me from me, so I cannot blacklist it, and I don't *think* I want to report it to SpamCop as spam, since the header is designed to look as if it comes from me.

Or is spam cop able to see through that and report it accurately to the appropriate postmasters etc.

I just don't want to report myself as a spammer ! :)

Does this help?

S.

Well, I am trying to say that in mailwasher, the header shows the email as coming to me from me, so I cannot blacklist it, and I don't *think* I want to report it to SpamCop as spam, since the header is designed to look as if it comes from me.

Or is spam cop able to see through that and report it accurately to the appropriate postmasters etc.

I just don't want to report myself as a spammer ! :)

Does this help?

S.

Yes, SpamCop is able to see through the fact that the return address or From: address is you. Those are ignored entirely. Assuming the mail headers are intact, the correct source will be reported.

JT

Archived