Useless reporting...

john1000

Therefore this thread should be moved to the Lounge.

I'm kind of caught here ... when this Topic started, it was seen as a bit 'valid' ... fallout from the server relocation. (see my last item up in Announcements) ... while this Topic started out 'OK' ... I'll agree it's not accomplished much. I thought I'd headed some of it off by my heads-up post on the probability of the relocation impact, but I see that this didn't help. One poster started yet another Topic to further a rant, I merged that back into this one .... and also have to note that one poster states that re-registering solved something (though wondering if yet another recently re-worked/re-posted Pinned item may have some bearing on that one) ....

give me a few and I'll go back and see if there's something worth "splitting" this one up, leaving the valid stuff and movig the rest ... it's been one of those days here <g> .. made coffee, and have reset the 2-hour timer twice to re-heat the coffee gone cold .. and I still haven't had a cup yet <g>

I thought (IMHO) that the lounge was for discussion of anything other than Spamcop and related issues according to the header....:)

...You read correctly but by common consent of the users of these fora (as opposed to the person who set it all up but then left support in the hands of the moderator(s) who don't have the power to change the wording on the forum page) the Lounge forum is used for everything that doesn't belong in any of the other fora.

Oh well, a walk to the Starbucks just around the corner might do you some good...

Oh you big-city folks <g> .. actually did about the next best thing. Called myself, put both lines on hold, finished the dishes which gave me some counter-top space, pulled out a bag of "buttered rum" flavored bean, fired up the grinder, found I had just enough milk to make a large cappuccino ... yep, you're right .. this officially now belongs in the Lounge <g>

I thought (IMHO) that the lounge was for discussion of anything other than Spamcop and related issues according to the header....:)

While "we" have your attention, could I invite you to the Topic/Thread found at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1672 and ask for your input there?

Will do Mr. Wazoo...:) I'll have a butcher's and see if I can come up with anything remotely sensible.... (Just picked this up - don't get around here too often).

On a general point which is relevant to the original post in this thread, I also got bogged down using the webform, (free account), to submit spam, due, as it said earlier, to it being a "big day for spammers". The trouble is, all I saw was the webform parsing delay go from 6 seconds to 74 seconds on screen and I thought "Is this a change? - if so it's going to make webform submissions impossible".

It seems to me that it would be helpful if the "Please wait - subscribe to remove this delay (or click reload if this page does not refresh automatically in x seconds.)" could read: "Please wait - subscribe to remove this delay (or click reload if this page does not refresh automatically in xx seconds. This longer delay is due to a backlog of submissions - cancel & re-submit later if preferred)" if xx exceeds ten seconds or whatever.

It seems to me that it would be helpful if the "Please wait - subscribe to remove this delay (or click reload if this page does not refresh automatically in x seconds.)" could read: "Please wait - subscribe to remove this delay (or click reload if this page does not refresh automatically in xx seconds. This longer delay is due to a backlog of submissions - cancel & re-submit later if preferred)" if xx exceeds ten seconds or whatever.

This "delay" notification is basically an estimate offered by some code that's looking at the running processes, backlog of events, the timing of results back from external data checks, various other system parameters. You might get a 78 seconds displayed, someone else hits three seconds later with their spam submittal and only sees a 12 second delay, again, it's just a snapshot of the moment, and an estimate on top of that. Further, I don't believe that there is any way to "cancel" at that point .. your spam is submitted, processor threads are already assigned to the task, stuff is "working" ... even if you could canel at that point, you've left the SpamCop parser in a position where now it has to drop what it started, clear out/delete variables assigned, etc. .... just adding a bit more to the overhead and perhaps causing the next reporter to see a delay of 99 seconds <g>

• 2 years later...
My guess (and it's only a guess, not even an educated one) is that they're aware of these slowdowns and just don't know what to do about them (yet).

Thats a nice one....

But spamcop uses techniques to slowdown submission and starts with :

Please wait - subscribe to remove this delay

(or click reload if this page does not refresh automatically in 5 seconds.)

Whats the idea behind that?

They are delaying it as a standard process...

perhaps the delay is more delayed....then the few seconds...

way i see it is that spamcop is using its submission in a unfriendly way cause it creates a delay in the reporting and isnt needed.

Moderator's note: this and its replies were moved from http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=53360 as they were OT there and are more relevant here. PM sent to advise of move/merge.

...Please wait - subscribe to remove this delay

Whats the idea behind that?...

Ah john1000, that's a "nag screen" which, like it says, you can bypass by upgrading to a paid account (which is the whole idea - part with the guilders - erm... euros - and the way will be smooth). Some say, compared to the other delays in the process it is hardly worth it. But then there are other facilities which come with paid membership (like access to the recent listing history of IP addresses). IMO, it would be more effective (and interfere less with the SC mission) to find some other way to promote paid membership. Like promote the other benefits more and leave the built-in delay out. But, perhaps, it serves some other function, like slowing down robot use which might otherwise slow things down even more. Dunno - dnsstuff seems to manage and their functionality is not tied to users contributing to their database.

well thats just the point....

But, perhaps, it serves some other function, like slowing down robot use which might otherwise slow things down even more

if there weren't any problems they could take out that nag screen.

how can an serious organisation like spamcop use such crap like delaying a submission....

"we like to force you into paying.."..

fact is.....if somebody goes for the subscribed spamcop you will never be 100% sure that you can use it with the speed promised...cause your dependable on your internet connection...

on the other hand.........offering a anti spam package....for that money would be more attractive ,and the package is allways there....

something like that... :P

<snip>

But spamcop uses techniques to slowdown submission and starts with :

Please wait - subscribe to remove this delay

...The message you quote has been there ever since I started reporting many years ago and has nothing to do with the [abnormally] "SLLLOOOOOWWWW response" that is the topic of this forum thread.

...Not to mention the fact that you and we have been over this before in topic "Useless reporting."

...This is so unrelated to the topic at hand that I am going to move it to the old "Useless reporting" topic....

[at]turetzsr

im not saying it has to do with the reporting...

you may call it useless posting but whatever we write,it will never solve it...

its getting close to a lounge conversation....

so this is the second time im moved to a different topic as it suits better?

Basically....were just wasting our time..

ill stop reporting cause i have better things to do then hope for better times...

i disabled replies here now cause if my (useless replies) are unwanted then i see no reason why i should participate in all of it...

<snip>

you may call it useless posting but whatever we write,it will never solve it...

<snip>

i disabled replies here now cause if my (useless replies) are unwanted then i see no reason why i should participate in all of it...

..."Useless reporting" is the title of this forum thread, which you started about three years ago. Perhaps another Moderator changed its title (some time ago) but it wasn't me -- and the title mentions "reporting," not posts to the SpamCop Forum (which are NOT useless, or at least weren't the first couple of times you posted [they are now starting to get a bit old, IMHO]).. I moved the posts here because they involved the "nag" screen and the topic to which you had posted them was not about the nag screen whereas the nag screen was mentioned here.

Archived