Registration not recognising IPv6

When sending back the test email sent via my secondary MX, spamcop showed an error

Source IP not found.

Your email host does not appear to correctly identify the sending IP of

the email you receive.

The secondary MX sends the mail to my server using IPv6, as the Received headers for the test mail show

Received: from A.hopeless.aaisp.net.uk (A.hopeless.aaisp.net.uk [iPv6:2001:8b0::d9a9:140d])

by home.gmurray.org.uk (8.13.0/8.13.0) with ESMTP id i5R8nHrp015790

for <graham[at]gmurray.org.uk>; Sun, 27 Jun 2004 09:49:19 +0100

Received: from sc-app4.spamcop.net ( helo=spamcop.net)

by A.hopeless.aaisp.net.uk

for graham[at]gmurray.org.uk;

Sun, 27 Jun 2004 09:49:16 +0100

Not sure I understand why you started this in Mail-Host, got a response, then posted essentially the same query (although adding the Tracking URL) in the Help Forum. It is the same issue, same problem. Thus the merging of your second post back into your original Topic here in the Mail-Host Forum.

Ah, so it is the same problem? The original post in this forum was because the mailhost probe failed. Having read the response, I agree that in the headers of that probe that the secondary MX did not show the IP address of the spamcop mailer which sent the probe. The post in help was the result of a spam report where all of the received lines show an IP address, so it did not look to me as though the explanation for the first problem applied to the second - leading me to think it is a different problem. I am sorry if I was wrong.

As most legitimate email comes to the primary MX, about 90% of the mail I receive via the secondary is spam so it will be a pity if I cannot report mail received from via the secondary MX.

silly question, does the primary also use the screwed IP6 tag line as the IP address? That said, have you read any of the Pinned items to see about getting this thing waivered? (though with the bad line, I'd think that there'd be issues with that)

Ah, so it is the same problem? The original post in this forum was because the mailhost probe failed. Having read the response, I agree that in the headers of that probe that the secondary MX did not show the IP address of the spamcop mailer which sent the probe. The post in help was the result of a spam report where all of the received lines show an IP address, so it did not look to me as though the explanation for the first problem applied to the second - leading me to think it is a different problem. I am sorry if I was wrong.

As most legitimate email comes to the primary MX, about 90% of the mail I receive via the secondary is spam so it will be a pity if I cannot report mail received from via the secondary MX.

I also note in the probe that your mailserver is not including the IP of the SC server that it received the mail from and that surely won't work. You need to have the mailserver stamp a proper received header to get the probe to work. Once the probe works then would assume the secondry mx should be recognized.

silly question, does the primary also use the screwed IP6 tag line as the IP address? 

It is the primary which is generating the IPv6 tag. It is doing this because it received the mail (from the secondary) via IPv6, so this 'screwed' tag is actually the IP address of the system from which it received the mail (the secondary in this case). The colon separated 16bit hex format is the standard way of representing IPv6 addresses in the same as the decimal dotted quad format is for IPv4, and sendmail has adopted the convention of prefixing IPv6 addresses with 'IPv6:' and has done so for quite a few versions.

The colon separated 16bit hex format is the standard way of representing IPv6 addresses

Agreed.

sendmail has adopted the convention of prefixing IPv6 addresses with 'IPv6:'

I'll take your word for it. Seems a bit silly. I've not dealt with this prefix before, and the dozens of RFCs, examples, documentation sheets, explanations, etc. that I read through before posting .... not one mentioned needing a prefix, as it's obvious from the colon separators that it's an IP6 address. You say I'm wrong, then I'm wrong and in that case, I haven't a clue why the SpamCop parser has a problem with it either. Sorry.

• 7 years later...

Archived