[Resolved] Account not working, cant contact support by email

I renewed an old spamcop account of mine via paypal yesterday. Initally,

I could log into the spamcop.net website no trouble, but I couldn't log into

the webmail service. At that point I tried contacting service <at> cesmail.net -

no response. At this point I was able to login to the POP server, but emails

to my chandon <at> spamcop.net weren't coming through.

This afternoon, around 1pm I went to see if it worked, and I couldn't log in

anywhere. I sent another email off to service <at> cesmail.net - it's been about

two hours, no response yet.

I'm guessing that my emails aren't usefully getting through to anyone,

but these forums seem active... hopefully someone here can help.

Thanks,

-- Nat Tuck <nat <at>ferrus.net>

"Chandon" <chandon <at> spamcop.net>

I have support <at> spamcop.net but I would think that JT has both accounts mapped to the same end-point. But just for a bit of clarification, this is another part of your issue. JT is but one person, this is a week-end, and trust me, there's a lot of e-mail that heads to his InBox <g> (and speaking of that, I'm going to edit your post a bit to hopefully head of some future un-needed incoming to his and your openly posted addresses)

I sent off another email today to support <at> spamcop.net around 3pm,

haven't gotten any reply back on it. Hmm... if I don't hear anything back

by tomorrow I'll have to figure out how to use the newsgroup thing and

post there - perhaps JT reads that.

e-mail from JT states that this account actually expired a few years back, which is why the "quick and easy" update didn't happen. Lots of things have changed since that account expired. Allegedly, the account should now be active.

I'm back to being able to log in to spamcop.net fine, but webmail still doesn't work.

POP3 works, but when I hit the "held mail" link it gives me an error "Cannot log into

IMAP mailserver as chandon <at> spamcop.net". Sending mail to my spamcop.net

address doesn't seem to be working eithor.

I'm confused:

I'm back to being able to log in to spamcop.net fine, but webmail still doesn't work.

I take this to mean:

• you can log into your account via POP
  • you can not log into your account via webmail

POP3 works, but when I hit the "held mail" link it gives me an error "Cannot log into IMAP mailserver as chandon <at> spamcop.net".

I take this to mean:

Q1: Can you open your Held Mail folder inside of webmail using the pulldown on the upper right corner.

Sending mail to my spamcop.net address doesn't seem to be working eithor.

Q2: Have you checked all the options inside of webmail to see if you are setup to forward your messages to another account? Perhaps you have setup a loop?

I cannot log into webmail. There is a held mail link from the spamcop.net site.

You are using your full email address when logging in, correct?

Username: chandon<at>spamcop.net -replacing <at> with [at]

Password: same as works for the reporting screen.

Just for clarification purposes, there are;

www.spamcop.net

members.spamcop.net

mailsc.spamcop.net

and just to repeat, things have changed over time. Are you trying to start from scratch at setting things up or are you still trying to use years-old stuff that might be lying around on your system ... cookies, links, etc. ??

There's no reason why my "renewal" is really any different than a new account. I'm working from a different computer, and none of my old settings are needed (or even seem to still exist).

There may be a reason as described earlier by Wazoo:

e-mail from JT states that this account actually expired a few years back, which is why the "quick and easy" update didn't happen. Lots of things have changed since that account expired.

It's like this ... suggestions have been offered, questions have been asked, some hints at looking at some things dropped .... There's no way to guess from here what you've done, not done .. the "several years" came as a surprise, the "new computer" is additional data this far into the situation ... You say you can log into "spamcop.net" but haven't defined which page you're hitting or how (login with name/password or using a link with 'secret code" .... You say POP works which implies account/password data is correct, but then turn around and say webmail isn't accessible via the same account data .... this suggests the possibility that you have something wrong in the configuration, but again, only you can see what you've got setup at your end ...

Here's what I know:

For all of the following, the browser I'm using is Mozilla Firefox 0.9 for Linux/amd64 (64 bit).

URL: http://www.spamcop.net/ (Was logged in, hit log out.)

Using form at top of page, login with login: "chandon[at]spamcop.net" password: [my password]

Result: Success. Shows "Welcome, Nat Tuck" and a "Paste spam Here" form.

URL: http://webmail.spamcop.net/

Try to log in with same login and password.

Result: "Login failed for some reason. Make sure you use your FULL EMAIL ADDRESS as the username.", followed by the login form.

Service: POP mail.spamcop.net:110

Using Mozilla Thunderbird. login: "chandon%spamcop.net" password: [the same as above]

Result: When I hit "Get Mail" with the account selected, Thunderbird's status bar gives the following messages "Contacting mail.spamcop.net" "Contacted mail.spamcop.net" "Host contacted, sending login information" (this final message shows for about 20 seconds). After those messages, it clears the status bar and shows no error message - which seems to imply "Success, but no mail".

Update: "lsof -i" seems to show this connection staying open. Perhaps it isn't accepting

my login/password after all - but it doesn't seem to be returning with any error

message.

From http://www.spamcop.net/ when logged in, there is a link "Held Email" on the left column. It links to the URL http://www.spamcop.net/reportheld?action=heldlog

Result: Clicking the link gives me the message "Cannot log into IMAP mailserver as chandon[at]spamcop.net".

URL: http://mailsc.spamcop.net/

Enter "chandon[at]spamcop.net" and my password into the HTTP Auth form.

Result: Same as http://www.spamcop.net/

URL: http://members.spamcop.net/

Enter "chandon[at]spamcop.net" and my password into the HTTP Auth form.

Result: It shows the HTTP Auth form again. I tried this three times. Hitting

cancel after that gave me an "Access Denied" message (as would be expected).

Before a couple of days ago, I had last used spamcop.net in about 2002, and had a

paid account then. When I decided I needed an active spamcop.net account again

a couple days ago, I renewed that accout, assuming that the full effect of renewing

my old account vs. creating a new acount would be that I'd keep my old username

and [at]spamcop.net email address.

(The POP3 connections are still open, although Thunderbird is showing no indication

in it's GUI. My guess: that's not how it's supposed to work whether the

username/password are valid or not.)

I just tried telnetting into pop.spamcop.net (Bold are user entries)

telnet pop.spamcop.net 110

+OK Hello there.

user underwood<at>spamcop.net

+OK Password required.

pass mypassword

+OK logged in.

quit

+OK Bye-bye.

You could try that remembering that all of the sites you can connect to seem to be Julians servers on the west coast. The webmail and mail storage servers are on the east coast and that seems to be where you are experiencing the problems.

Have you heard back from JT yet? I think we have exhausted any thing we as other users of the system can help you with.

The only thing I can come up with at thie point is that you're working with a "new" account data that works just fine on Julian's machines .... might it be possible that JT simply massaged a few bits on the "old" account to reactivate it on his side of the house, and it's looking for the several year-old password from those days of yore?

So, going the next mile, what are the odds that your "ISP" account is the same? Going with somewhere there could/should be the "I forgot my password" routine? (Just tossing this out, as I don't know if JT's side has this "feature")

I finally got an email back from "Jeff". Still isn't working,

but getting an email back seems promising.

StevenUnderwood:

The POP thing is really weird. When I use Telnet it closes

the connection when I give it my password. With Thunderbird,

it seems to hold the connections open forever.

That's what I'm thinking, but I know when I change my password on webmail, it changes it everywhere, so I would ASSUME there is only one login database. It could be that the webmail system changes a seperate account on Julian's side, however.

It also could be that the account is not configured properly after expiring and being reactivated. Again, I think we are waiting on JT for any real answers. I assume both of you have already emailed JT so I am not going to do that.

The POP thing is really weird. When I use Telnet it closes

the connection when I give it my password.

Does the telnet session remain open so you can see if it is giving you any error? I think we are closing in on the problem. Hopefully JT will be able to figure it out.

Archived