Another take on the new look

julian

Not sure what the ettiquette is here, but I thought I'd start a fresh thread so I can start ignoring the off-topic stuff attached to the previous ones.

I've done some more cleaning up and fixing on the new look. Here are some notes on my progress:

I tried to do some fixes to the underlying java scri_pt for mac users using IE. I'm not sure how effective that will be, but I look forward to detailed reports about the problem from mac users (exact error message, detailed description of symtoms, screenshots, etc are appreciated). I'm not expecting the appearance to ever approach perfect with such an old IE version, but I do at least want to make sure the site is accessible. Since I don't have a mac, I don't know how well I'm going to be able to debug this, but based on some earlier feedback, I made some hopefully-helpful changes to the java scri_pt.

I have a theory about the "blank page" issue too, and hopefully some of the more recent changes to style-sheet names and link tags should help with that. Please let me know if there are still problems.

I made the cookie-setting code more conservative. If you don't actually fiddle with the style menu, you shouldn't be asked to take a cookie.

Various tweaks for standards-compliance. All the .css files should be strict CSS2 now, but I'm sure I'll be chaseing HTML4 compatibility for years, there are so many different pages. I want to get rid of all tables too, but that's going to be a more long-term evolution.

We have been pretty concerned about the type of ads being displayed by google, you may have seen a disclaimer I added, but we've decided to just get rid of them altogether for the time being - at least until we figure out what direction to go with them. Maybee we will just forgoe that revenue altogether on the "penny wise, pount stupid" theory. Even the previous webmasters.com ad was misleading some people.

Free users should have mailhosts capability back. In related news, we are working on getting away from the bookmark-as-secure-login system for free users. In the future, everyone will be asked to set and provide a username & password. This may upset some people who like the existing method, but it's really pretty dumb.

Thanks for all the kind words and feedback so far. Our aim is your happyness!

-=Julian=-

As wild as this is getting, I'd personally like to request that you "allow" JT to break all this out into a new Forum section. I managed to get this accomplished for the Mail-Host thing ... at least that way I can try to "manage" the issues into "common" Topics/Threads.

That said, I just fired up a iBook, OSX 10.2 (not quite current, one version back) IE 5.2.3 (last released by Microsoft for the Mac) and tried again. I'm not at all sure how to try to troubleshoot anything, as that screen is simply sitting there with the "waiting" spinning colr dot, status bar reads "Receiving image (0 bytes of 10kb, 0 bytes/sec): sclogo.jpg ..... Yesterday, "Force Quitting" (more or less a "graphic kill process" function) and re-starting IE and trying again just put a different graphic into the status bar, but still the hang mode .....

Safari pulled the site right up, but that's as far as I went, shut it down to pull up IE.

Force Quit (again, it took twice to actually kill off the IE process) ... Started IE again, cleared History, cleared cache, hit www.spamcop.net again ... now status bar is showing "Fetching image http://www.spamcop.net/images/Google_Logo_25wht.gif" .... but IE is hung once again ... will see if I can find the actual temp file contents to see what did arrive ..

Actually why not move it to the newsgroup?  The really techie ones hang out there.

Miss Betsy

...One reason would be so that those of us who are not permitted to use the NGs may participate.... :) <g>

Just added some more stuff which detects & dumbs down for anything detecting as netscape 4. Maybee IE5 is in that category. Just curious why you don't use safari instead of IE5 if you have OSX?

I'll go poke around the NNTP groups too. I don't think a new forum is in order, I hope/expect this to be a short-lived situation. OTOH, I don't know why the thread was moved over to the lounge from the main spamcop group. ?

-=Julian=-

Just added some more stuff which detects & dumbs down for anything detecting as netscape 4.  Maybee IE5 is in that category.  Just curious why you don't use safari instead of IE5 if you have OSX?

If this question was directed to me, it's because I was trying to troubleshoot and possibly come up with an answer for all those others complaining about issues in here ... and of course, another reason for learning more about the Mac and OSX for both my own benefit and also problem solving for others.

I'll go poke around the NNTP groups too.  I don't think a new forum is in order, I hope/expect this to be a short-lived situation.  OTOH, I don't know why the thread was moved over to the lounge from the main spamcop group.  ?

Why moved? Please see New Look for SpamCop, Please read before posting .... Although I suggested a number of reasons, the primary two are that I don't yet have a better place and I thought I was doing you a favour by trying to keep all the posts in one spot, vice having multiple and probable duplicated issues spread throughout several Forums.

If you can spare a couple of minutes, perhaps Forum configuration might also explain the background on "my" decision.

I'm thinking that you didn't think that MailHosts issues would still be cropping up either, yet there are still "problems" being posted (and mostly by folks not bothering to read the Pinned items in that Forum stating that posting of problems is pretty much a waste of time, as no one here has the insight or access needed to handle any kind of action ... only the Deputies/Ellen and/or bumping it up to you .. so an e-mail to Deputies is the only 'solution')

As you've already noted (by starting yet another Topic), the only way to try to categorize and manage one action item and make it a bit sensible for users loking for answers and you looking for issues is to allow for the movement, merging, splitting, whatever of the various posts, so as to combine similar issues, split out the new/different ones ... but at present, this is just a tad difficult. Thus far, there are different issues/symptoms based on Operating Systems/Browsers, never mind the symptoms themselves. Display issues, buttons not working, scripting errors, page loading hangs, color complaints .... on and on ....

<snip>

I don't know why the thread was moved over to the lounge from the main spamcop group.  ?

<snip>

... :huh: What's the "main spamcop group?"

Having to guess, I'd say Julian was using the same logic expressed by a number of others ... Help is the first link on the "support web page" ...????

Guest art101

You're a saint, Julian. Your work to help stop spam is stellar.

I can confirm that the new look works fine in Safari 1.0.2 (the latest Mac OS X browser). Let me know if you'd like some confirmation screen shots in JPEG form.

All the best to you and yours.

I enjoyed the new look (it was working just fine), but it has now disappeared and has been replaced by something similar to the old look

I am running IE 5.50 sp2 on a NT 4.0 server with SP4

Is there any way to work arround teh "dumb down" function?

I am having two problems with the clean version of the new look of mailsc on a PC running Win2000ProSP4 and IE6SP1 with all Windows Updates except Journal Viewer and .NET Framework.

1. After sending reports, if the results are longer than 12 lines, everything after the first pixel of the 13th line is overwritten with whitespace.

2. There is a vertical bar between the "Mailhosts" and "Report spam" links.

Also, what is the best method for submitting screenshots of problems?

Thanks and Best Regards, Jeff G.

I am having two problems with the clean version of the new look of mailsc on a PC running Win2000ProSP4 and IE6SP1 with all Windows Updates except Journal Viewer and .NET Framework.

1. After sending reports, if the results are longer than 12 lines, everything after the first pixel of the 13th line is overwritten with whitespace.

Thanks and Best Regards,  Jeff G.

Are you the person who used to be JeffG, one of the moderators here in these forums who dissappeared for a while? If so, welcome back. Otherwise, Welcome as I see it is your first post.

I am using the same system specifications and having no problems.

1. What Site Style are you seeing this in. I use Wide by default (for both my paid and free accounts) but have tried all of them and do not see what you are describing.

Since we are not seeing alot of the same complaints here, it might be your system (bad cache possibly???). Have you tried on another system? You could also try emailing the deputies<at>spamcop.net

You would probably want to wait to be in an email conversation with either the deputies or Julian directly and send the screen shots then. This forum and the newsgroups are really not setup for graphics transfers. SOme people have posted screen shots on their own web servers and posted links to them here.

Thanks and Best Regards,  Jeff G.

Are you the person who used to be JeffG, one of the moderators here in these forums who dissappeared for a while?

Yes, I am. That ID has a lot of catching up to do, and I didn't have the time necessary to do that catching up when I posted.

If so, welcome back.
Thanks!

I am using the same system specifications and having no problems.

1.  What Site Style are you seeing this in.  I use Wide by default (for both my paid and free accounts) but have tried all of them and do not see what you are describing.

Perhaps I was not clear enough. I am using the new "Clear" Style.

Since we are not seeing alot of the same complaints here, it might be your system (bad cache possibly???).  Have you tried on another system?  You could also try emailing the deputies<at>spamcop.net

You would probably want to wait to be in an email conversation with either the deputies or Julian directly and send the screen shots then.  This forum and the newsgroups are really not setup for graphics transfers.  SOme people have posted screen shots on their own web servers and posted links to them here.

I emailed a GIF screen shot to the Deputies, and Ellen sent it on to Julian.

Yes, I am. That ID has a lot of catching up to do, and I didn't have the time necessary to do that catching up when I posted.

Shoot, here I was looking at getting up, stretching a bit, hitting the kitchen to do the dishes, then head outside and mow the yard <g> .... Good to see that you're still live and kickin' <g>

Perhaps I was not clear enough. I am using the new "Clear" Style.

Now I see what you are talking about...FYI, the | is only seen on the paid account version and may be meant as a separator as the options on the right do not exist for the free account.

As far as the other problem, after the reports are sent, I see NO Report xxxxx was sent to x at all. Are you saying if there is only 1 or 2 reports sent you see that information?

:) Finaly.... After all my post in the old thread "New Look Browser Issues" Now spamCop works on my IE 5.1.7 on Mac OS 9.2.2 :D

(By mistake in the old post i have said that i used IE 5.2.2, Sorry)

However the look isn't as nice as in my NN 7.02

:D Good work :D

julian:

I look forward to detailed reports about the problem from mac users (exact error message, detailed description of symtoms, screenshots, etc are appreciated)

Havent tested in Opera. but here is some screenshots from my IE and NN

spamcop1.jpg

spamcop2.jpg

I dont know why the picture aint showing ? bu ill try with links

IE screenshot NN screenshot

You can make NN look the same by selecting Clean from the pull down.

Not guite but close, the NN version still looks nicer in NN :-)

But ... it works now in IE and NN .... and thats whats importen.... :-)

• 1 month later...

Hi, When I get to the screen that states "Ready to test email", it tells me to select mailservers. However, on my computer, the left side-bar extends too far to the right so my options to click are not visible. ;) Thanks.

I have had similar problems with other screens but there has always been a scroll bar on the bottom to be able to shift the display to view the hidden text.

Is the scroll bar missing on your screen?

As a work around, you should be able to select the "Clean" view, which will eliminate the left hand menu all together. This should be fixed, however. The only place I noticed a similiar problem were the menus that paid email reporters don't have a link to (see other recent threads), so I assumed that was the problem.

As a work around, you should be able to select the "Clean" view, which will eliminate the left hand menu all together...

14893[/snapback]

Thanks, the "clean" version works for me. B)

Archived