Should I report all Spam?

I receive over 1000 emails daily and 98% are spam. Spamcop catches about 97% of it and places it in my "Held Mail" which I love. My question is, do I need to report the spam that Spamcop has already determined to be spam? Can I just delete it from my "Held Mail"? Any spam that ends up in my "inbox" gets reported by me everyday. Thanx in advance.

P.S. Thanx for creating a message board for this program. The newsgroup wasn't to user friendly.

Reporting all the spam would provide a benefit for those who don't use SpamCop filtering

It actually provides much more benefit to those who DO use spamcop filtering as more reports will keep IP's on the blocklist longer if they are still spamming. Or explained in the reverse, if the held mail is not reportd, the IP's will drop off the list sooner, and if they are still spamming, more people using the filtering will see the spam until it is reported again.

I quick report all mesages held by any of the filtering (I have all of the bl's enabled) and only full report the 2 or 3 per day that slip past.

Some people have had problems with the quick reporting blacklisting their own ISP's. My configuration minimizes that because the mail never reaches my ISP. I use a forwarding address pointed directly to my spamcop email address.

I receive over 1000 emails daily and 98% are spam. Spamcop catches about 97% of it and places it in my "Held Mail" which I love. My question is, do I need to report the spam that Spamcop has already determined to be spam? Can I just delete it from my "Held Mail"? Any spam that ends up in my "inbox" gets reported by me everyday. Thanx in advance.

That's a lot of email. One thing you might do is see if you can just cut that down some. For instance, if you have an entire domain pointed to your email address, do you really need that? Maybe you should ask your email provider to just let the valid email addresses go through and bounce the rest. It saves everybody some bandwidth.

I report several hundred held mails per day. I don't know if I could report 1000 per day. Use the webmail program to report your spam by changing to the Held Mail folder in the upper right corner.

I think, in general, it's best to report the newest spam. So, when you feel like reporting spam, go into webmail, change to the newest pages of Held Mail, and report until you're tired of reporting. Then you can just delete the rest or leave it if you think you'll be reporting again later. If you ever get 5000 or 10000 messages in your Held Mail, delete the whole thing so it doesn't get too big. Held Mail 14 days old will be deleted automatically.

P.S. Thanx for creating a message board for this program. The newsgroup wasn't to user friendly.

I'm glad you like it.

JT

Thanx for the replies. Yes, I do get over a 1000 spam's daily and yes I do have an entire domain that uses the infamous "anyone at" feature. I forward all mail automatically to Spamcop, which really does a great filtering job. I am slowly getting my Spamcop address out there, but I have had this domain for over 7 years and I didn't see the train coming!

It is unbelievable to me that my ISP, which is Yahoo by the way, doesn't have any kind of spam filtering. I am in the hunt for a new ISP with good filtering. When I switch to the new place, things should slow down a bit.

It is amazing how many people think my printer is out of ink and I need a larger member! :o

Thanx for the replies. Yes, I do get over a 1000 spam's daily and yes I do have an entire domain that uses the infamous "anyone at" feature. I forward all mail automatically to Spamcop, which really does a great filtering job. I am slowly getting my Spamcop address out there, but I have had this domain for over 7 years and I didn't see the train coming!

It is unbelievable to me that my ISP, which is Yahoo by the way, doesn't have any kind of spam filtering. I am in the hunt for a new ISP with good filtering. When I switch to the new place, things should slow down a bit.

It is amazing how many people think my printer is out of ink and I need a larger member! :o

Hi!

...Were I in your shoes, I'd just sign up for a new Yahoo!Mail account and let everyone I've corresponded with (intentionally) know that I had a new Yahoo!Mail address.

...Good luck!

Mahogany Rush said:

It is unbelievable to me that my ISP, which is Yahoo by the way, doesn't have any kind of spam filtering

Actually, Yahoo DOES have a filter, of sorts...

Check your spam message headers for the following:

X-YahooFilteredBulk:

Set up your filters so if that's in the headers, it blocks the email.

Well, going through that many is tough, but what happened to being able to see them all on one page, is there an option to see all your held email on one page and then just scroll through to uncheck any that aren't spam? Otherwise you have to go through 10 pages just for the spam for that 1000.

Please see your "Held Mail" Folder in Webmail, starting at https://webmail.spamcop.net or http://webmail.spamcop.net . Also, please

try the new options in http://news.spamcop.net/pipermail/spamcop-...ber/011836.html , a post by JT to spamcop.mail with Message-ID bqjdfg$c9k$1[at]news.spamcop.net entitled "New spam reporting options (beta test)" on Tue, 02 Dec 2003 at 20:15:07 -0500. You may wish to adjust "Messages per page in the mailbox view" in Webmail's Options / Other Options / Display Options.

OMG - Oh My God ....i just recieve receive about 16-20 spamming a day (reported by my MD) will take me 30 mins to 1 hr to detemine is it a real spamming or he subscribe himself.

and you have more than 500 ..... wonder how you can work more efficiently at your place ... :lol:

anyway, can u tell us more abt your working environment ....means ..system platform

• 2 weeks later...
Well, it is not just a Yahoo email address, in fact I don't even have one of those. My ISP is Yahoo, which should really get on the ball and have some spam filtering. I am moving soon and I will search for a good ISP with filtering this time! Live and learn.

I feel for you

I currently use Earthlink for e-mail (My internet connection is actually through Charter Cable that originally used Earthlink as the ISP and has since parted ways but I have maintained my email account with Earthlink).

They have a fairly good spam filter and if you can live with their requirements will actually catch most spam. I use the moderate setting which catchs about 60% of my spam (approx 85/day) The high setting will catch most spam but requires you to maintain a list of all people that you want to receive mail from (fairly easy to do)(works best if you use their web based viewer). All other mail is bounced back with the option to forward a request to be added to your approved list. Depending upon who you want to receive mail from and how they respond to having their mail bounced back until it is added to your list will determine if this is a viable option for you. It does not work for me. And that is why I started using Spamcop to filter my mail.

Good luck in your search

Archived