How long will mail stay in trash?

JT has stated that trash should be automatically removed after 20 days.

My account does not seem to work that way. If I do not have the Options, Maintenance Options, Ask for confirmation before doing maintenance operations? check box marked (so it should automatically purge at login) it does not purge at all. I have had as many as 3-4 months before I manually eptied the trash.

Is there a time frame used to automatically delete all of my trash and/or held mail? I would much rather just check my inbox and never bother deleting all of my held mail and then deleting the trash. I have yet to see a legitimate email end up in held mail. Thanx in advance.

Held Mail will automatically be deleted after 14 days. Trash after 20 days.

Steven, if that's not working for you, email me when you've got more than 20 days worth of trash in your folder.

Note that in either case, the date of the message is immaterial. It has be be in the folder for the time period, even if it's a really old message.

JT

I have now turned off the confirmation. I still have "Perform maintenance operations on login?" checked, "Purge old message in the Trash folder?" checked and "Purge messages in Trash folder older than this amount of days." set to 2.

I assume these should also be working. I will confirm if they are not.

<Note to self>The first message in Trash is:

Date: 2004-02-01

Subject: Suger Bovl Civlis

Note that in either case, the date of the message is immaterial. It has be be in the folder for the time period, even if it's a really old message.

JT, may we please have options to display and sort by how long a message has been in a folder and when it was last received (the date on the topmost Received header)?

Also, this Topic concerns the SpamCop Email System - I have moved it to the SpamCop Email Forum.

Thanks!

JT, may we please have options to display and sort by how long a message has been in a folder and when it was last received (the date on the topmost Received header)?

No

JT

• 2 weeks later...
Any size limit to mailboxes: INBOX, Held Mail, Trash? If there is a limit, what happens when it is reached?

Last I heard, this wasn't been a problem yet as far as storage space. However, Webmail and the IMAP Server get really bogged down trying to handle 10,000 messages in one Folder, causing Webmail to timeout on some attempts to deal with so many messages.

Why does the reported spam go into the trash? Shouldn't it get deleted like the message says after it's reported?

"deleted" means "trashed" in that context. I prefer it this way, as I file reported spam from my Trash Folder for a while in case a reportee comes calling.

Listen to mr. JefG! Do NOT allow your SpamCop Webmail Trash and/or Held Mail message numbers to reach into the five figures.

It took me hours and hours to clean out a friend's account here that got like that.

Listen to mr. JefG! Do NOT allow your SpamCop Webmail Trash and/or Held Mail message numbers to reach into the five figures.

It took me hours and hours to clean out a friend's account here that got like that.

If you are going to manage such folders only using a broadband connection, a fast computer and IMAP, it's less of a problem. But using Webmail to Quick "Report spam" from the Held Mail folder in such cases is still going to run into timeouts because the timeouts are between the Webmail server and the IMAP server.

gah, when I was trying to clear out my friend's stuffed with thousands of messages Held Mail and Trash, just deleting with the webmail client was impossible. I was rending my rainments I tell ya! Reporting wasn't even on my hitlist at that point. And finally fixing it using local IMAP client and a fast connection was still a struggle. This is a systems problem, not a user problem. I am very appreciative of your help here Jeff, but I'd like to hear from spamcop personnel that this is a known issue and that some fix is on the way. I don't understand how I can recommend spamcop subscriptions to my own clients when things are this way. I've already taken flack from my friends. "I have thousands of messages and spamcop won't even open", etc. bleh. Gah, the embarrassment!

I'm kind of curious as to your concept of what the number of "spamcop personnel" might be ....

Secondly, as JeffG is just a user himself that volunteered to take on the load of monitoring and maintaining these Forums, one would have to make the assumption that he's got the same interface issues that you're having issues with ... I'm not sure why you're discounting his best efforts to agree with you that there are issues, but here's the best he's come up with as to how to manage or work-around it ...

With all the filtering and blocking settings offered, can you explain the problem of "thousands of messages" ..??? or is it just because they got into trying to "protect" their e-mail addresses way too late in the game?

Spamcop personnel, how many? Oh, I have no idea. What, five people maybe? Why do you ask? Is there some implication I'm missing here? I'm not blaming JeffG for anything? Why, does it appear that I am? I know he's a volunteer, and give him appreciation for that.

With all the filtering and blocking settings offered, can you explain the problem of "thousands of messages" ..??? or is it just because they got into trying to "protect" their e-mail addresses way too late in the game?

What's your point? That the user is at fault for getting spammed? Or are you tryign to say somethign else? Look, I don't know what motivates you here, but I'm just looking for answers to solve problems, and trying to participate constructively. Here, go read this if you want a description of the problem with clearing stuffed spamcop mailboxes:

Folder Level Delete Malfing???, Emptying from Folder Navigator No Worky

Which started from an earlier topic, here:

Selecting and deleting multple held emails

If after reading those you are still confused as to the meaning of my posting,, I'll be sorry, but I don't know what more I can do.

I asked as I thought you'd been around for a while, and would have noticed that JT doesn't post much, so wasn't sure just who you might be waiting for with the "real" stuff.

I asked about the possible timing of your friend's getting the nod to sign up with a SpamCop account. That's what was meant by "maybe too late in the game" .. address already on all 1500 versions of the CD, on every major spammer's list of "known, good" targets .. and now expecting that the $30 a year will somehow allow them to reclaim a "clean" address ... it was just a question ...

I've read everything here, am in the newsgroups, yes, I understand, .. just going that you're frustrated over cleaning out someone else's account an thought i was trying to hint that there might be another solution ... time for your friend(s) to look at a new address to be specific. I don't recall you saying just how long it took your friend to accumulate those thousands of e-mails, so yes, perhaps I've got a wrong picture, but it sure sounds like you were suggesting that his/her InBox is a magnet ....

JeffG had specifically stated that it was a webmail server IMAP e-mail server interface that was the kicker, but I didn't see that you acknowledged that.

Well, thanks for your response, Wazoo. I appreciate your time to make it.

Unfortunately, the friend's email address is on our little company domain, so even if its propagation onto bunches of filthy spammer address CD's is the problem, it would be a headache for him to change it. If, in fact, the volume of spam is just too much for the spamcop solution, then changing it will have to happen. I don't want that unless it's the only way though, as I like spamcop and want to support them. (I love reporting spam, heh)

As it is, his initial major mbox cluster%![at]! did happen after he was offline for something over two weeks, I believe. So, I don't think the Held Mail spam and In box virus bounce numbers up in five figures is all that unusual for that length of time. Especially since the time offline happened to happen just as SoBig hit last summer.

I mean, anyway, can these numbers be so unusual? And if they are not, it would be nice if we could more easily just nuk'em. That's all. Now that we've got his boxes cleaned out, he's having no problem dealing with it. So, maybe it's ok, for him. It may not be for others in the situation he was in though.

Archived