Delisted hosts are reported as "not listed" now?

nogin

It used to be the case that the blocklist's "checkblock" URL would tell its reasons for listing a host even once the host is delisted. In my opinion, this is an essential feature since if an email is bounced because of the list, the user (or the admin of the listed host) might get around to looking at it only when the host is already delisted, and the justification for the listing better still be there.

However I just realized that, for example, http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblo...p=132.236.56.28 currently simply states "132.236.56.28 not listed in bl.spamcop.net", while I see in my logs that it was listed at some point on June 8th.

Was the information justifying past listing removed on purpose? Why? Is it possible to get it back?

Or is this just some kind of a glitch affecting just a specific IP?

P.S. I am a paying user of the SpamCop reporting service and I mostly use it because I want to play my part in keeping bl.spamcop.net up-to-date. The less justification is provided by the "checkblock" URL, the more doubts I have about using bl.spamcop.net for filtering my own mail (and paying for the reporting service).

I'm not totally sure where you want to go ... That an IP was listed on 8 June but isn't listed on 30 June is part of how the SpamCopDNSbl works, and most of what makes it unique .. that an IP can be de-listed (almost) as fast as it can get listed.

The details provided on an IP that us "currently" listed has been going away, this is true .. but again, you can blame the spammers for this also. There used to be sufficient data that they could monitor things in real-time, thus playing games with listing process. This lack of real-time and no where near complete data has pretty much killed off a lot of normal research and answers from all but the Deputies these days, much as the SpamTrap data has been for quite a while ...

So, back to your specific IP ... you're going to have to do the math on the listing formula that deals with total traffic "seen" .. spam reported .. time .. and the threshold setting of this result of this formula. There are many folks that "only report stuff that makes it through the filters" .. which could alter the formula results as there aren't sufficient reports being made to "keep" the IP on the BL .. or perhaps the "big" spammer has moved onto "fresher" IPs and you're still getting hit by the wannabe rich idiots that haven't quite figured things out yet, but their spew isn't sufficient to keep this IP listed (that ratio of spam to traffic seen)

Wazoo,

I think that you missed the point... The message used to tell you that the IP used to be listed but was no longer listed. Now it seems to only say that it's not currently listed, with no mention of history. Is that intentional or a glitch in the example? If it is intentional can anyone share why as that was a very useful piece of data.

--Louis

Wazoo,

I think that you missed the point... The message used to tell you that the IP used to be listed but was no longer listed.  Now it seems to only say that it's not currently listed, with no mention of history.  Is that intentional or a glitch in the example?  If it is intentional can anyone share why as that was a very useful piece of data.

You may think that, but please try re-reading the second paragraph of my last post.

Archived