I reported spammy messages by using the forward method. I forwarded my spammy emails to this email address: submit.XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXx@spam.spamcop.net

And here are the results: I got nothing but error messages sent back to me. 

My question: If spamcop.net gives me nothing but error messages when I report spammy emails, what else can I do then?

What are my options and are there any viable alternatives?

How do others fight against spammers successfully?

[SpamCop] Errors encountered

SpamCop AutoResponder <spamcop@devnull.spamcop.net>

SpamCop encountered errors while saving spam for processing:

If you would provide a Tracking URL which looks similar to

It can be found in emails returned by SpamCop for your supmit email or at the top of the page after you process a spam using the web form.

Without seeing the parser output it is not possible to interpret the results. 

I definitely do not need/want you to seen any more examples by PM.  The one example you provided was enough to identify the problem.  The header of the spam (below the
---------- Forwarded message ----------  Line in your first PM) does not include the needed information.

If you will read my response you will see what is missing.  All the other stuff you PMed me does not correct, only repeats the problem.

If you would let the forum know which email application you are using, OutLook, Thunderbird, or using a web application, then someone may be able to help you correctly report spam to SC.

IF you click on the Tracking URL I provided above as an example you can see what is missing from the example you provided.\

Perhaps How do I get my email program to reveal the full, unmodified email? would help

You wrote: If you would let the forum know which email application you are using, OutLook, Thunderbird, or using a web application, then someone may be able to help you correctly report spam to SC.

My comment: I don't know what you mean. I use Google's gmail but I don't know if that answer will help you. I can say that I don't use Outlook or Thunderbird.

You wrote: 

GMail

These instructions are for web based email provided by Google (GMail)

1. Log into your GMail account.
  2. Open the message you'd like to view headers for.
  3. Click the down arrow next to Reply, at the top-right of the message pane.
  4. Press the "Message Source" button to view the entire message, headers and all.
  5. Select Show original.

The full headers will appear in a new window. 

My comment: I have followed these instructions as much as I can understand them. As I have stated more than once, I have copied everything.

Your long post in this public forum has revealed your email address, your name, you unique private submit account (submit.{16 random char}@...)

I deleted the post to protect your privacy.  There was no additional information, except that you seem to be using the google web email, which requires a different approach to forward email including the full header.  again Please read

29 minutes ago, Lking said:

I suggest you STOP and read the responses. You have posted 4 or 5 time while I have been writing this. An option is for me to throttle your posting to give you time to read before you post again.

Lking,

I am trying to help you to help me. You asked me to provide you the header etc. and as far as I know I have done so. More than once. You also stated that one members will benefit whatever information I have provided. I have done so. I have followed your instructions as much as I can understand them.

Now, I don't have any more information and I don't know what you want. I have done absolutely everything I can to provide you everything I have!

If you want screenshots, then let me know.

If you want me to forward you anything..then provide me your email address.

IamInnocent.

Yep, that is the page, but google maked a change a while ago, where using ctrl-a does not work.  Instead, I used the "Copy to clipboard" button and then go to the spamcop reporting form and paste.

Now for your original question, I get that message when I forward, but not as an attachment.  Apparently a lot of folks prefer the "reply" style of forwarding and this style throws away the full headers.  They change it so much, I am no longer sure if there is a key that you can hit when you click forward for it to send as an attachment.  Your other option is to click the "Download original" and attach those files to an email, but that is probably as much work as what I do with the "Copy to clipboard" button.

screen_shot_gmail.jpg

Thanks for your reply, gnarlymarley. 

As a newbie I am still learning what might be the most time-effective way to report spam. 

At the moment, I am simply using the copy and paste method and I don't get any error messages from spamcop. It is slower than forwarding method but as stated, no error messages from spamcop. I sincerely hope that it reduces the amount of spam I get.

• 4 months later...

What do you mean by "long email contents"?  I can submit emails as large as 2Mb without issues.  (Of course, spamcop truncates these to 50Kb as I expect.)  I usually see the following message when I forward the email, but not as an attachment.  Forwarding email inline seems to lose the headers and this is why I get this reply.

[SpamCop] Errors encountered

Gmail has made a change on their view source page where now they have extra stuff that is not RFC compliant at the top, so copying the whole view source page is not suggested.  It is best to either figure out how to forward as an attachment or else use that "copy to clipboard" button and paste it in the spamcop window.

Archived