My first days of using Spamcop

TomosJ

Hi All,

After a few days use, I've noticed that most spam emails so far seem to be hosted by a limited number of providers (Primary.net, Amazonaws, ovh, colocrossing and coloprovider) is that the same for most people on the forum.

If the hosting companies are based in the USA would it make any sense to report the spam to the federal govt (the Federal Trade Commission at spam@uce.gov)?

Thanks

Tom.

I don't know how effective reporting reportint to spam@uce.gov can be, as I don't recall having had any feedback from them. I usually like to forward them copies of spam at the same time I report to spamcop.

On a side note, one annoyance I've had to deal with over the last few months is that my provider has been bouncing reports sent to spam@uce.gov with a "too long in the queue" type error, and then bouncing their own non-delivery reports as spam. Discussions with them have been a little strained, their latest "excuse" is that there's a problem with the DNS records for the uce.gov email domain, for which I have, to date, found no evidence. Dealing with this annoyance is, as I type, a work in progress.

@lisati @kolor Is there an automated way to send reports to these addresses like SpamCop or do I have to manually send them the reports each one?

Also, what is rescam?

Edit: And how do you send spam reports to the email ids mentioned. Do I just send the whole email headers without any explanation (e.g., Hi, this is a spam email I received etc.)?

If you use Thunderbird as a email app you can use the add-no HabuL to send copies of the spam(s) to several places in addition to SC.

On the SC screen were you send the spam reports, just above the "Notes" box, you will see " Re: User Notification ".  You can add an email address there.

5 hours ago, gotitbro said:

Also, what is rescam?

Google is your friend.

On 12/5/2017 at 4:16 PM, Lking said:

If you use Thunderbird as a email app you can use the add-no HabuL to send copies of the spam(s) to several places in addition to SC.

On the SC screen were you send the spam reports, just above the "Notes" box, you will see " Re: User Notification ".  You can add an email address there.

Google is your friend.

Thanks for the suggestion, Habul seems to be incompatible with my version of Thunderbird, I'll have to wait until the author creates an undated version

Update from my first few days of using Spamcop.

• The number of emails from Amazonaws and Primarynetwork has fallen
  • I received 16 spam from a new hosting company today Dinahosting, I reported the spam via Spamcop and I contacted the company directly on twitter and to their credit contacted me back very quickly and I received the following ( Good afternoon, We have reviewed the different hostings that were hacked and sending spam, we have also stopped it's traffic) top marks

I use Habul version 1.21.0 with Thunderbird 52.5.0, even though some of the documentation I've read suggests that it hasn't been tested on more recent versions of Thunderbird. If you install it and use it to send reports to multiple recipients, I'd suggest checking that the recipients list is set to "BCC" instead of "To"

On 12/5/2017 at 10:03 PM, kolor said:

I copy at gmail header spam and paste ad mail.I have email spam group .I send at one 5 mails for this address us UDW at mail.

By "ad mail" do you mean spam? How do you create an email group in Gmail? And what is UDW. Thanks.

41 minutes ago, TomosJ said:

I received 16 spam from a new hosting company today Dinahosting

I have been receiving spam from Dinahosting as well but they are at least responsive to reports about it. Most IP addresses I receive spam from are based in the US and the Spamhaus data corroborates this as well https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/countries/.

Also what is bothersome is that these link shorteners don't have any easy mechanism to report the shortened URLs (goo.gl has one though). Most spam email I receive use bit.ly and I have been sending them reports through Spamcop for the time being but they should really have an easy mechanism to report such URLs. 

16 hours ago, lisati said:

I use Habul version 1.21.0 with Thunderbird 52.5.0, even though some of the documentation I've read suggests that it hasn't been tested on more recent versions of Thunderbird. If you install it and use it to send reports to multiple recipients, I'd suggest checking that the recipients list is set to "BCC" instead of "To"

I'll try this out tonight when I get home

30 minutes ago, TomosJ said:

I only received two spam emails over night, fingers crossed it remains low for the rest of the day

I remember when I received virtually no spam. But stupid me gave it around like it didn't matter get more than five spam mails per day. Hopefully reporting to the ISPs helps.

8 hours ago, TomosJ said:

Another question what does the following mean "abuse#iri.pl@devnull.spamcop.net"

This usually means that Spamcop has decided not to bother the intended recipient with reports. There are a number of possible reasons for this, perhaps the email address that Spamcop has a histroy of bouncing, meaning the reports Spamcop have sent haven't made it to the recipient's inbox.

Archived