DIY Reporting

emanmb

One particular group of spams I get come from linode. com which SC doesn't report to them but to abuse#linode.com A devnull.spamcop.net.

So after a lot of emails such as these coming through and being reported only through SC, I took a look at their site and decided they "looked legit enough" for me to fwd the spam to them directly.  Seems it might have been worthwhile.

Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 2.48.19 PM.png

13 hours ago, emanmb said:

One particular group of spams I get come from linode. com which SC doesn't report to them but to abuse#linode.com A devnull.spamcop.net.

So after a lot of emails such as these coming through and being reported only through SC, I took a look at their site and decided they "looked legit enough" for me to fwd the spam to them directly.  Seems it might have been worthwhile.

Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 2.48.19 PM.png

SpamCop has legacy issues where "blackhat" providers were working with spammers. Just because a provider may have come good won't change SpamCop

Also applies to locked in spam reporting addresses that maybe decades old I always check with IPNetInfo (WINDOWS DEFENDER GIVES FALSE POSITIVE VIRUS WARNING ON THIS)

Yes hence my quotation marks.  Also SC may know something I don't. :) 

In this instance I just got tired of the host not receiving any info about this spammer thus allowing the spammer to operate w/impunity.  I figured, I was already getting their spam somewhat regularly why not see if I can stop it.  So yes this may not work in any other instance.

Archived