Normal or aberration? e-mail sent by hosting svc reported for abuse

db17

I may have been mistaken, but I thought that abuse was always reported anonymously by SC. If not, I would never use SC, which I have been using for a number of years. Just now, not long after reporting spam to the identified hosting svc, I received an email from them notifying me that they have opened a ticket. This is the first time this has happened. As far as I know, nothing changed in the way I reported the spam. The LAST thing I need is for this hosting svc to have my personal email address.

Note to mod: couldn't quite find the right location to post this. Please relocate if necessary.

Login to your SpamCop reporting account, under the SpamCop Preferences tab, "Report Handling Options" Check your settings for " Report reply handling " and " spam Munging "

Look carefully at the heading of the message you received to be sure the message was directly from svc and not forwarded to you by SpamCop.

The spam report svc received was FROM: a spamcop.net mailbox that included a unique 10-digit report id #. 

• If svc did a Reply or Reply All their email would be returned to SpamCop, including the report id
  • SpamCop then uses the 10-digit report id to identify you as the reporter and based on your "Report reply handling" forward the svc reply to you.

In this way you can receive feedback from the recipient of the spam report without reveling your email.

On the other hand it is possible that svc spent the time to identify your email from codes they embedded in the spam in the spam report.  Not likely.

Hi Lking,

Thanks for the reply. "Munged...obscure identifying informaiton" was already selected in Preferences. After all this time, did I finally run into an ethical, conscientious hosting svc? Body of message included "Dear xxxxx@.net"

To: my emailaddress <10 digit number @reports.spamcop.net>

"thank you for contacting us...." "...our team will get back to you as soon as possible...." and "how am I doing...email my manager at...."

So does this look forwarded from SC? Very puzzled since it's a first.

Spam host email copy.png

32 minutes ago, Lking said:

Black swans do exist!  You have made my day.

Just to be absolutely clear, since this was highly unusual, can I assume from "Black swans do exist" that the e-mail I received was forwarded by SC from the hosting svc?

1 hour ago, db17 said:

To: my emailaddress <10 digit number @reports.spamcop.net>

Yes.  <10 digit number @reports.spamcop.net>  is a reports.spamcop.net mailbox that the svc reply was sent to. SC added 'my emailaddress' before forwarding to you.

Look at the full header, ctrl-U.  I believe you will see that the routing of the email you received came from spamcop.net SMTPs not svc.

32 minutes ago, Lking said:

First time I received a reply through SC, I was HOT/concerned too.  It happens so seldom these days I can't remember when I got the last one.

I get these often they are not from Spamcop always through a Botnet like PayPal phishing they have your spamcop email addy

Archived