Can't Reset "last message read" Cookie

turetzsr

...Today, for the first time since I started using the web forum, I can't reset the "last message read" cookie. It worked yesterday, so I don't believe it would be because of the new version of Invision. I've tried the following:

• click the "Mark all forums as read and return to index" link (this is what I've always done, succesfully, in the past)
  • click the "Mark all posts as read" link
  • click the "Delete cookies set by this board" link

...Is it just me?

I know that the unread messages indicator has been acting flakey today. Even after going into and out of the forum to recheck for unread messages, it still shows dark. I simply click the icon and it marks all read and that is working today. Can't say I've used any of the other functions you mention.

...Thanks for posting your observations, Steven.

...What happens when you click the "View New Posts" link? Does it return only entries made later than the last time you clicked the icon or does it return everything since the date and time indicated on the "Welcome back; your last visit was:" line?

My observations aren't going to help .. but .... spent some time a couple of days ago specifically trying to figure out what was in the cookies .. was trying to figure out a way to use a modified cookie to switch someone's "skin" setting back to a viewable status (turns out that the problem was on the server, as the selected skin pointed to an empty folder, so there was nothing for the php scripts to work with short of an empty HTML page) ... but I can tell you that the skin setting isn't in the cookie <g>

That said, I can relate that this cookie thing has beat me around a lot, in many different ways. I found that if I get notified by e-mail that I've got a PM, if I hit the e-mail link and read the PM(s) first, then my board cookie is set that everything has been read, which is a definite pain.

If I "move" a posting, then that Forum's blue icon stays forever dark, no matter how many times I refresh from within that Forum, switch over tot he "Moved into" Forum and re-read the already flagged as read "moved" post" (which then allows that Forum icon to turn light blue) .... so I have to verify that all is actually read in the first Forum and hit the icon to force the all-is-read condition ....

I'm not sure, but thinking that the "post open too long" bug has been fixed (open a post, read, start thinking about an answer, pop open another window to do some research, phone rings, handle that, go get a cup of coffee, finish typing in a response, and boom .. everything has been tagged as "read") .. but then again, I don't leave things open that long anymore, as it's such a pain to have to guess at date/time stamps to see whther I had read things or not ...

Did note that the content and structure of my cookies and the other user's were a bit different ... though not sure of the actual differences between "us" .... I read everything, the other user might have only read one Forum .. and of course, there's that Moderator thing that's probably in the mix ...

And in reading the above, I am back to "this window has been open for a long time" and I've several PMs that have arrived in the meanwhile ... as I started with, no help I'm sure, but just ofeering that the cookie management part of this software doesn't play well with me either <g>

...Thanks for posting your observations, Steven.

...What happens when you click the "View New Posts" link?  Does it return only entries made later than the last time you clicked the icon or does it return everything since the date and time indicated on the "Welcome back; your last visit was:" line?

14058[/snapback]

Well, I never used the View New Posts link as I like to see what forum I am reading but doing so after I read all of the unread messages (your was the last) returned only the 10 most recent posts which were older than when I actually read them by about 3 hours but less than the time I last logged in by about 2 hours. I had last logged in about 4:30 PM the oldest thread was from ~6:15 and I logged in again about 8:30.

I will check again in a few hours.

Well, leaving for a short while and coming back did NOT reset my last login time (which is from a different computer at work). The same messages as before with the new ones are shown in the View new posts, so it seems to be the same as you report.

Well, I never used the View New Posts link as I like to see what forum I am reading <snip>

...Huh? When I click the "View New Posts" link, I get a list that includes the forum name. And when I choose an individual item from the list, the page heading area shows the forum. Does something different happen for you or am I not understanding your reluctance to use "View New Posts"?

1. The forum name is too small for me to notice it.

2. They are not sorted by forum name.

I get into a "zen state" before entering each forum to correctly answer each question :lol:

I guess I have always found going into each forum more organized for me. Each forum with new messages is marked with the dark icon and each new thread is also marked and brings me right to the new posting.m Works for me.

1.  The forum name is too small for me to notice it.
...Yeow, fixed font sizes! Maybe Julian would be willing to change that if you ask him....

2.  They are not sorted by forum name.
...New feature request to sort?

<snip>

I guess I have always found going into each forum more organized for me.  Each forum with new messages is marked with the dark icon and each new thread is also marked and brings me right to the new posting.m  Works for me.

...Thanks, I'll try that!

...Update (for anyone who may care): the date/time following "Welcome back; your last visit was:" still shows the last time I logged out rather than the last time I clicked "Mark all forums as read and return to index" as it used to! :( <frown>

...Steven's method does work but I don't like it as much as just seeing all the posts since I clicked "Mark all forums as read and return to index" when I click "View New Posts."

Archived