Error Message

princessmo

Hey guys,

I haven't been able to report spam all day - it processes the spam, but when I hit "send reports" I get an internal server error message asking me to try again in a minute or so. But... it's been about 8 hours. Tried it with different spams, in case it was a problem with just one. Won't work at all. Help?

nothing in the newsgroups or here to back you up .. I just ran one through the web form with no problems ....  try again?

14082[/snapback]

Nope, just happened to me again. "500 Internal Server Error". This time, it didn't even process the spam. I've been using SpamCop for about 3 years and have never had this happen before! (I have a reporting-only account.) The advice on the error message was to try again in a couple of minutes, and if that doesn't work go to the Help forum. It's been like this all day. So here I am. In the Help forum. Seeking help...

What the heck?

Only a guess at this point, but can you log into a web-page ... wondering about a possible issue with your account being "revoked", usually an issue with e-mail bouncing .... secondary issue, has it been a few days since you last reported? There have been some massive changes lately, though technically, it's the free reporters that got hit the hardest ....

Here's the message I get:

500 Internal Server Error

Sorry, your request could not be processed.

Rest assured that this problem will be fixed. Please re-try the operation which caused this error in a minute or two. You can even leave this error screen open and use your browser's "reload" button to re-try. Please do not press reload repeatedly though. Pressing the button more often does not resolve the problem faster. It just makes a bad situation worse.

If you believe this is a bug which occurs only under specific circumstances (rather than a temporary, general problem), please click on "Help" above and report the problem in the forum with as much detail as you can.

Only a guess at this point, but can you log into a web-page ... wondering about a possible issue with your account being "revoked", usually an issue with e-mail bouncing .... secondary issue, has it been a few days since you last reported?  There have been some massive changes lately, though technically, it's the free reporters that got hit the hardest ....

14085[/snapback]

My last reports were sent yesterday. This problem just started for me today.

E-mail bouncing?

Can I log into a web page? Sure. I've been logging in and out of various ones today. (Maybe I don't understand your question? Sorry, I'm an artsy-fartsy and pretty dumb when it comes to computers...)

Log in to a SpamCop web page .... to verify that your account hasn't been "touched" for some reason.

14090[/snapback]

OH! YEah, I've tried that. I can log in, and I get my little "welcome princess mo", etc. I can go to various pages, I can review my past reports, I can jump around the site map. I can log out and then log back in again. I can do EVERYTHING but report spam. :huh:

I am currently having a hissy fit re: Blue Stream Media, so I really need to be able to report.

ok, if you can log in there, can you paste just an IP or URL into the box (just that single line of text) and process that with no errors? (This branches into a different bit of code, so maybe proving nothing ..??)

ok, if you can log in there, can you paste just an IP or URL into the box (just that single line of text) and process that with no errors?  (This branches into a different bit of code, so maybe proving nothing ..??)

14092[/snapback]

Just tried it with an IP. No luck - same error message. Then tried it with an URL. Ditto.

:(

OK, there is definitely something wrong with your account then .... you're going to have to send your account data to Don at service >at> admin.spamcop.net and get him involved .. sorry for taking so long to get to this point ...

OK, there is definitely something wrong with your account then .... you're going to have to send your account data to Don at service >at> admin.spamcop.net and get him involved  .. sorry for taking so long to get to this point ...

14094[/snapback]

Thanks, Wazoo.

Your post over in the other "500 error" Topic was the first mention of the use of a Mac. I just pulled up an iBook, running OSX 10.2 , Safari 1.0.2 ... popped in an IP into the paste-it-in-here box, and it worked fine dropped back, did an e-mail address .. worked fine. Fired up Internet Explorer, did the same, got the same results. Popped in a spam, it parsed OK ... so now, how close are we to software .. settings check needed ..????

bit of update, info ... diddled here, diddled there, then pulled the iBook back over .. tried to go to other pages .. Preferences, Past Reports ... my error was the infamous "page not found" ... hit the "Logout" button, allegedly went through a "clear cookies" ... actually went in and killed two cookies .... shut down Safari .. fired it back up, went to www.spamcop.net, entered in the account/password combo in the boxes ... everything worked ... care to try and see if there's something that can be cleared up at your end?

I'm thinking that the cookies on the iBook were from the days before the last forced account/password login mode ....

Just a suggestion, not a fix, but may help to isolate the source of the problem.

Try setting up a new free reporting account and see if you can report using the new account. If you can do that it will at least indicate that the problem is either on the SpamCop side or an issue with cookies.

Good luck

Just a suggestion, not a fix, but may help to isolate the source of the problem.

Try setting up a new free reporting account and see if you can report using the new account.  If you can do that it will at least indicate that the problem is either on the SpamCop side or an issue with cookies.

Good luck

14565[/snapback]

Okay, I give up.

I just tried signing up for a new free reporting account (non-mole), and received the confirmation email with my new password. But then I go to sign in with the new username and password that was assigned to me, and: LOG IN ERROR. Cannot login with HTML, cannot log-in with the cookies version, just plain cannot. It appears to not be recognizing my new case-sensitive password which Spamcop assigned me. I keep getting a smart-aleck message asking if my caps-lock key is stuck. NO IT ISN'T. I tried cutting and pasting it, I tried entering it manually. No luck. So I tried logging in with my original username and password, and get a red message saying "no userid". I can, however, log in to this here forum using my old info. Yes, I tried restarting, just in case. So... I went from a reporting problem, to not being able to do anything but talk to you guys about how I can't do anything. *cry*

To address the previous reply:

The FIRST place I looked for trouble was at my end. I've cleared the cache, I've tossed the cookies, restart, etc. In fact, I just did it again this morning before trying your other suggestion. Also, I sent Don The Admin my ping reports, which looked good to him (and to me, too). Also, this trouble hasn't coincided with anything new on my system, such as a change in firewall or security settings or something, which is the other thing I try to look for when I have weird issues like this (not very often, thank god, and NEVER before with Spamcop).

And I'm not having this trouble with any other places where I have to log in, send forms, etc. I would blame this Mac and browser (stupid Safari, I know I know I know) except it's worked on Spamcop for 9 months. My Compaq is currently set up in the second office where there is no way to connect (because I'm supposed to be workin', not surfin') but will ask for the IBM laptop to get back here tonight and will make a Spamcop attempt with Windows and Explorer.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help. I know this probably sounds insane. Sorry.

I just tried signing up for a new free reporting account (non-mole), and received the confirmation email with my new password. But then I go to sign in with the new username and password that was assigned to me, and: LOG IN ERROR. Cannot login with HTML, cannot log-in with the cookies version, just plain cannot. It appears to not be recognizing my new case-sensitive password which Spamcop assigned me. I keep getting a smart-aleck message asking if my caps-lock key is stuck. NO IT ISN'T. I tried cutting and pasting it, I tried entering it manually. No luck. So I tried logging in with my original username and password, and get a red message saying "no userid".

Ummm, the reason for my follow-up posting was due to similar things last nite. I'm running the iBook wireless through an AirPort access point. The first post I'd stated things worked fine.. which they did ... that was until I went back and tried some of the "member" things that showed up after the "login change" .... all of a sudden, I was aving connection problems galore ... airport signal good, could walk my network just fine, but it got to accessing any external URL got me the "page not found" ..... Thus began the cleanup, cookie deletion, and whatever else I did, ending up with a shutdown, re-boot, and the trip to www.spamcop.net which showed the account/password login boxes ... filled them in, logged in, and away we went ... then I made that second post ...

not that it helps, but just demonstrating that it wasn't a smooth sail here either <g>

Ummm, the reason for my follow-up posting was due to similar things last nite.

14603[/snapback]

Yeah, sorry if it sounded like I was snapping at you and/or not following. I'm just jealous that you got it to work after doing all the things I would have told me to do... *sob*

Seriously, thanks for your help, guys. And thanks for talking to me nicely even though I'm not a techie type. You may be THINKING mean stuff, but at least you're not saying it. :D

Archived