Unhappy camper that can't read the FAQ

pwhaughey

Spamcop is hurting my business too!

They claim I've either sent a spam email to a "trap", or have had 30 complaints against me. I just set up this email a few weeks ago, and have sent no more than a dozen emails to friends and clients. So do 2 other spamcop companies. It's a lie!!

I'm sick of these spamcop fanatics claiming it's the responsibility of the sender to check the spamcop blackball list, and the blackball lists of the other 3-dozen self-appointed blackmailers, each time they send an email. Eh-hem....do you ~really~ throw away an hour of your life each time you send an email? Why not have us all go back to the Western Union telegram by horseback? It's faster and much less hassle...

This BS is absolutely nuts! I can't believe ISP's actually subscribe to this nonsense. See the ongoing discussion under, "What is this? & please stop messing w/ my email..."

I want to cancel mine also...but the problem is I never signed up for it!

I asked how to get off of it, and they tell me it's the responsibility of the sender. Nonsense.

Please leave me alone. You self-appointed "cops" are internet terrorists, and what you are doing should be criminal.

I asked how to get off of it, and they tell me it's the responsibility of the sender. Nonsense.

Please leave me alone. You self-appointed "cops" are internet terrorists, and what you are doing should be criminal.

SC provides a list of IP addresses that are known to have sent spam. It does not block your mail. An ISP has used SC to block the mail from known spam sending addresses rather than invest real money in servers and bandwidth costs to handle the fact that over 60% of email traffic is spam.

If you can come up with a better solution, we'd all like to hear it. It's a complicated mess that's only getting worse.

...Ken

They claim I've either sent a spam email to a "trap", or have had 30 complaints against me. I just set up this email a few weeks ago, and have sent no more than a dozen emails to friends and clients. So do 2 other spamcop companies. It's a lie!!

Unforntunately, this whole paragraph is inaccurate.

Miss Betsy

Unforntunately, this whole paragraph is inaccurate.

14186[/snapback]

...IMHO, it's fortunate -- its innacuracy makes it quite clear that this is now a troll and so can (and should) be ignored.... :) <g>

Spamcop is hurting my business too!

I'm sick of these spamcop fanatics claiming it's the responsibility of the sender to check the spamcop blackball list, and the blackball lists of the other 3-dozen self-appointed blackmailers, each time they send an email. Eh-hem....do you ~really~ throw away an hour of your life each time you send an email? Why not have us all go back to the Western Union telegram by horseback? It's faster and much less hassle...

This BS is absolutely nuts! I can't believe ISP's actually subscribe to this nonsense. See the ongoing discussion under, "What is this? & please stop messing w/ my email..."

14177[/snapback]

No reason to complain but a good reason to learn how to set up an email server...........

Your starting to "sound" like a spammer.

14178[/snapback]

Please do not respond to this Troll!

Please do not respond to this Troll!

14195[/snapback]

Interesting...the same attitude among all the "Spamcop"-type services I've encountered.

The innocent victims are the enemies, not the spammers. Just run us over, hurt my business, disrupt my life. You don't care.

The is no law in the US about blocking email. Anyone can block anything they want. 

14026[/snapback]

You people are scarry!! Internet terrorists is right. This is absolutely nuts.

No reason to complain but a good reason to learn how to set up an email server...........

Your starting to "sound" like a spammer.

14026[/snapback]

That's right. Any innocent victim who complains or speaks up must be a subvert...McCarthyism? That's right, always blame the victim. The problem is the complaint - the problem is not the problem! This is NUTS!

And now you want me to set up my own email server just so I can get around spamcop?

...excuuuuuse me, it was Blars that accused me of sending email to the trap. But spamcop accused my friend of the same. Your methods differ slightly, but you are all the same to me -- self-appointed internet terrorists.

And now you want me to set up my own email server just so I can get around spamcop?

...excuuuuuse me, it was Blars that accused me of sending email to the trap. But spamcop accused my friend of the same. Your methods differ slightly, but you are all the same to me -- self-appointed internet terrorists.

A bit of research found your IP listed on more BL's than just SpamCop. If you would like to avoid all blocklists, I would recommend that you discontinue relying on e-mail for any type of communication OR find a reputable mail host instead of just the cheapest.

This link will show you what blocklists the IP referenced in another thread is on:

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ip4r.ch?ip=66.54.93.245

Spamcop is just one BL that it is on. Your childish responses to people attempting to help you are getting nowhere (but is surely getting your BP up!). Please, read some of the responses and hold your temper. People are trying to help you, believe it or not. Now, if you don't want help and would rather do nothing but toss around insults and accusations, why aren't you on Usenet using the name "moris"?

No answers given, not a customer, don't want to be a customer. Cannot find who *is* the customer so I can fire them -not my host, not my internet provider.

Have not insulted anyone (except the spam-policing methods) but have been the target and victim of countless insults. Perfect, really...a victim of your really bad anti-spam methods, now a victim of your verbal abuse. :) What a nice place.

No answers given, not a customer, don't want to be a customer. Cannot find who *is* the customer so I can fire them -not my host, not my internet provider.

OK, maybe this one will be easier to answer: What led you here? Who got the SpamCop notice?

That will help you find the "customer" of the ISP that is utilizing the block list. If you have the SpamCop notice, please post it in the help forum so someone can try to help instead of trading barbs.

Cannot find who *is* the customer so I can fire them -not my host, not my internet provider.

Your host or internet provider may be misinformed, especially if you are speaking with the frontline support people of a large company. I have seen that problem personally.

If the person who received the bounce back at the headers of the bounce message, they should be able to determine what provider bounced the message. Then you would have the proof of who to contact. IF they want to post the headers to this forum (or you want to send it to my test address spamtest<at>poboxes.com) with only the email addresses munged (so some actiual information can be gotten from it), we can help further. Munging the IP address invalidated all attempts to help.

Basically, mail works by sender machine (A) talking to senders SMTP server (B). Server B talks to receivers SMTP server © and stores it in receivers account. Receivers machine (D) talks to server © and gets the message. In this case, normally only server C would use a bl and that would only block it if server B were on the blocklist.

If you have the SpamCop notice, please post it in the help forum so someone can try to help instead of trading barbs.

14250[/snapback]

Here's what the OP posted in Help at the very beginning:

In the last 24 hours I've had 4 people tell me their questions to me have been bounced by spamcop.net because: "Delay reason: SMTP Error from remote mailer, host mail.questliving.com. 451 blocked. See spamcop.net"

I think that's not an exact "cut-and-paste" from any of the errors, but perhaps a hand-typed, reasonable facsimile of one of the errors that someone sent to an alternate address (I'm guessing).

The orignal complaint was regarding mail bound for an address at the domain "questliving.com" which the OP owns and operates (his name is Paul Haughey). I think it's supposed to be an Amazon store, because that's what the archived screenshot at http://www.whois.sc/questliving.com shows, but the current site is a template without any content...but I digress.

I think it's obvious that it is his web host, "ipowerweb" that is doing the SC-enabled SMTP blocking of incoming messages, even though the OP denies that. In fact, IPowerWeb even has functions whereby the OP can go in and configure the spam blocking, selecting either "tag the message as spam or delete it on arrival." It's likely that Mr. Haughey's hosting account is configured to "delete it on arrival."

In fact, early in the thread, SC user Nick posted the following helpful response giving exactly that same information:

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...indpost&p=14109

and if the OP is paying attention, here's a link to an actual "walkthrough" of the procedure from his web host:

http://www.ipwhelp.com/walkthrough/index.php?w=56

So, it would behoove the OP to check that out, changing the option over to "tag the message as spam" instead, because then the messages would still reach him and he can stop complaining. I'm pretty sure this is the correct analysis and solution.

DT

I would add to this conversation

ipowerweb :ph34r: responded to spam/spamvertised sites to a poster on NANAE

thus:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=That%27s...ogle.com&rnum=1

or

http://tinyurl.com/5ax6r

Doesn't really bode well for them or their customers (spammers?) Nor their perceived legitimacy or abilty to tell the truth (see rule#1).

Personally I would simply generalise and say, 'blimey, don't spanked spammer whine?'

(Must be Spamcops version of NANAE's spanked spammers who whine about Spews blocking them, most ot those anti-spews nutcases are clue repellant also).

Oh and he isn't starting to sound like a spammer remember, rule 3....

Here's a quote from the IPowerWeb site:

"IPOWERWEB, Inc. ... is the worlds leading Website Hosting provider."

Very modest, aren't they? But I'll turn on my "grammar police" lights and siren for the incorrect use of the plural "worlds" instead of the intended possessive.

and on their SPAMMING POLICY page:

"IPOWERWEB reserves the right to charge Customer an administrative fee equal to the $100.00."

Hmmm...IANAEP (I am not an English professor), but shouldn't that simply be "an administrative fee of $100.00"? I think that they also own some of the "Hosting-Review" sites that come up in Google searches....that's a good way to artificially inflate your reputation.

dt

Archived