blocked email

azuur

<snip>

I understand that words like "legal action" causes some people to react cynical...I would....but we are a UK company who are trying to urn a living..as we all do...spam email is a pain....but if you are busy, and there is money at steak...then it is a pain as well if your own email is bounced back and being labeled as spam (which it isn't). Therefore, it would be useful that who-ever made SpamCop, also provide some back-up. See it from my clients point of view...he can't get my emails.....and will complain to his organisation about it. If enough people complain, they will just switch to other antispam software. So..it is in your (who-ever you SpamCop is) that 'average computer literate people' like myself can find information how to solve this problem.

<snip>

...It might be nice if SpamCop could do what you suggest but it can not. The reason is that it has absolutely no control over the users of its blocklist (which are ISPs or e-mail service providers). And it is these users who do the incorrect labeling about which you are complaining.

By the way..

-using a hotmail or yahoo account is nice for personal email, but it is hardly a serious business email contact....thanks for the advice anyway..:-)

...If I understand correctly, that suggestion was made as something that you might do as a temporary measure and only for specific of your customers who are having this problem until you can fix things with your ISP or move to a more helpful one.

<snip>

-As to legal action......it is not that we will do this of course....but it would be very interesting to know...from a hypothetical point...if you do everything within reasonable knowledge to protect your laptop from hacking and virusses, and then something like SpamCop wrongly labels your email as spam..and therefore you loose time and money.....why can't you do anything about this..legally? Now..don't start all this cynical remarks again..I'm just curious...in this country (UK) you can't sue for much money anyway.

14358[/snapback]

...Again, SpamCop is not labeling your e-mails as spam (please don't use all capital letters -- that version is a registered trademark of Hormel Corporation -- see spam and the Internet, especially the third paragraph.). Therefore, if you have any legal recourse it is against the ISPs or e-mail providers that are misrepresenting your e-mails as spam.

Just a small note of reference ... hostway has dropped a note here and also over in the newsgroups about the issue ... answers to both queries (thankfully) got pretty much the same response ... ask Deputies for help with the spamtrap contents ....

And how do we know that request was from Hostway's abuse desk?

IP address in the posts look appropriate for an upstream, and again, postings showing up here and over in the newsgroups indicate some level of concern at least .. guess the real answer will be an e-mail from Ellen, which probably won't be made known, unless she pops in somewhere with the "It's handled" note ...???

Yes, I checked the IP from the newgroup post yesterday but ya can't tell if it came from corporate or not. 

Well...instead of hostway.com, I contacted hostway.nl because (i) I have 2 sites with them too ( and one with hostway.com (my highstat website))..., (ii) they are Dutch and so am I, and (iii) hostway.nl used to respond helpfully within hours.

Hostway.nl sent me a 1 line email in which they told me to contact hostway.com because I am their customer....which is fair enough (highstat.com runs on hostway.com) ...but you wouldn't do that if you just had placed a post on this board as well...would you? Strange.

Alain

I looked around for the corporate ranges but to no avail.

I am always a bit leery but you already knew that :-)

14616[/snapback]

Azuur .... still trying to figure out why you have such a hard time with your "quoting" ... you've made it very hard to guess where your actual text is ....

The "questions" about the contact from hostway abuse is due to the fact that the IP of that poster actually tracks back to a "siteprotect.com" ... thus the "maybe" factor.

Archived