What's the point? It's so generic now.

flagginator

[Edit add: Solution was to click on MAILHOSTS link on Spamcop home page and add my ISP as my MAILHOST. That way Spamcop can parse my full headers beyond my MAILHOST. I believe I'm fixed and good to go. I'll post back if I messed up the MAILHOST setup (since I have my own virtually hosted domain name and since my ISP has two names I actually get email addressed to three domains, but the IP is consistent throughout all three domain names). I have [myusername][at][iSP1].org, [myusername][at][iSP2].com, and [myusername][at][myvirtualhostdomainname].com. My ISP uses two different mail server names (mail.[iSP1].org and mail.[iSP2].com). All email send to [myusername][at][myvirtualhostdomainname].com or to [myusername][at][iSP2].com is aliased by my ISP to my [myusername][at][iSP2].org email box. I only have one email box, but I get email addressed to both aliases and my domain name. I only use the mydomainname.com email address, but the dictionary spammers still send junk to my alias and my mailbox.]

:(

I stopped submitting spam to Spamcop for a while. It used to submit my spam to half a dozen different admins plus the devnull, cybervillance, etc. Spamcop seemed to find the true origin of the spam and submit a spam report to the sending ISP, etc.

NOW it's all very generic. Every spam I submit to Spamcop comes back with the same three choices of where to send the reports. The first one is the backbone for my ISP. The second one is the Spamcop Devnull report. Third is the Cybervillance report. My ISP's backbone is always left unchecked. So, the reports are only going to Spamcop. No reports appear to be going to the spammers ISP (like they did in the "old" days).

In the old days most of the reports went to "China..." this, and "China..." that. The reports went all over the place. Now they appear to go nowhere.

So whereas Spamcop used to send spam reports to six or more places and at least one appeared to be the originating ISP, it now only sends to:

[ ] My ISP's backbone (their co-locate feed).

[X] Spamcop DevNull.

[X] Cybervillance (sp).

What is the point of using Spamcop now? It seems to be so generic as to be useless. The reports are going nowhere. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Have you set up your mailhosts? that should allow Sc to parse past your backbone.

I only get spam on one email account that does not have POP3 access. To submit the spam I SSH in to the mail server using PuTTY; open my email client (Pine); check my email; then show full headers of any spam (lots); then forward to my spamcop reporting address; then go to spamcop and click on "Report Now" button.

Please elaborate on the mailhosts issue.

Thanks! :wacko:

Please elaborate on the mailhosts issue.

Thanks! :wacko:

Can only guess, but perhaps you're in the mix of users I've been talking about a lot lately .... You made your way "here" via some Help link somewhere else????

Please try hitting this link to come in at the "top" of this Forum thing ... see if that at least starts answering your last query ... http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?

feedback on whether I'm even in the ballpark on this would be appreciated ....

OK, it was the Mailhosts thing. That's something new from Nabisco with Spamcop.

I setup my Mailhosts by clicking on the Spamcop MAILHOSTS link on the http://www.spamcop.net homepage.

Thanks for the heads up!

Now, as pointed out, Spamcop will be able to PARSE beyond my mailhost.

I believe I'm good to go now. A thousand thanks. ;)

PS: I did not discover this issue by following any links, or by joining in with any mix of users. I came here because Spamcop today does not look like Spamcop of last year and I recognized an issue, but not the solution. Thank you for pointing me towards the solution. Actually, to find the solution, I put the word "mailhost" into the forum search, then followed some links there to find the solution on my own. No solutions were offered here, but the replies here did get me on the right track and I am grateful for that. I think it's fixed. I was unaware of the new Spamcop and the ability to register my mailhost(s).

PPS: Question to Wazoo: Which top post (pinned-post/sticky-post) should I be looking at regarding MAILHOSTS issue? :(

<snip>

FWIW: Even if no one was notified it would still update the SCBL and for the hosts that rely on blocking spam using the SCBL it would be worth reporting.  ;)

14422[/snapback]

OK, thanks for letting me know my efforts of the past day or two were not in vain.

I now appear to be cooking with gas! The MAILHOSTS link got Spamcop to parse deeper into my full headers.

And, thanks to a link on the reporting page of Spamcop I am now submitting my spams by ATTACHMENT (from Pine).

The MAILHOSTS fix got me past my ISP, and now FORWARDING by ATTACHMENT has tripled the number of report recipients. :)

<snip>There was a note about it on the start pages, but its gone now.  Perhaps it should be put back

14429[/snapback]

There should be a pinned (sticky) note too about:

FORWARDING spam by ATTACHMENT is the best way for Spamcop to capture full headers.

>>>>

That one alluded me until now. There is a link about it on the Report Now page, but it takes some digging and reading to catch the drift. ;)

FORWARDING spam by ATTACHMENT is the best way for Spamcop to capture full headers

Yes, no, maybe .... the issue there is actually covered in the FAQ How do I get my email program to reveal the full, unmodified email? which you'll see covers a lot of ground that a simple "forward as attachment" doesn't begin to address, even pointing out that some applications don't offer this capability to begin with.

FORWARDING spam by ATTACHMENT is the best way for Spamcop to capture full headers.

g and reading to catch the drift.  ;)

14460[/snapback]

No, I don't think so, because these forums are already top-heavy with stickies. The current stickies need to be consolidated into fewer that will then branch out to the important information.

dt

Archived