Jump to content
georgestama

OVH.Net spam ?

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, nei1_j said:

Ok.  So the whole "Received:" line is a forgery.

If anyone's interested: https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6643327190zb33a603c90f8edb039ee9fc7ef49ffd1z

51.79.145.214 is where it came from and reported correctly to OVH
Add to notes

Child porn spammer 
pictures under 18 or made to look under 18
NO PROOF OF AGE available! 
SENT TO MINORS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2020 at 12:25 AM, nei1_j said:

Ok.  So the whole "Received:" line is a forgery.

Nope, I am saying that it came from 51.79.145.214 is the source, but user/owner of the computer tied to that IP probably didn't send the message themselves.  They "let" someone else use their computer because they didn't patch it.  Spammers love it when they can use someone else's cameras, routers, computer, refrigerator, or other IOT device to send their stuff so they don't get caught.

On 7/27/2020 at 1:17 AM, petzl said:

51.79.145.214 is where it came from and reported correctly to OVH

Keep reporting these as we at least need to get them to patch or fix the problem.  If it is a person that has let someone else use their machine, they need to deal with the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why does Google allow a rogue domain like ovh.net rape millions of people on the www with nonstop spam? I'm just curious. Perhaps someone on this forum can enlighten me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Art101 said:

Why does Google allow a rogue domain like ovh.net rape millions of people on the www with nonstop spam? I'm just curious. Perhaps someone on this forum can enlighten me.

$$$$ The US Congress is asking the same question. The answer is "Their business model." The real question is how to control the problem in a open society.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2020 at 5:06 PM, Lking said:

$$$$ The US Congress is asking the same question. The answer is "Their business model." The real question is how to control the problem in a open society.

Yes indeed, LKing. I'm pretty much done with Google in general, Gmail in particular, and will shut down the account. I use it in a limited capacity anyway, when I prefer not to reveal my real email address in online forms and stuff like that. 

Google's pernicious user tracking, lack of morality and ethics, the nonstop spam assault, the way Google helped turn the web into an evil strip mall from hell – I'm done. 

I've taken several steps to exorcize Google from my online life. 

1. Google is no longer the default search engine on my browsers (switched to DuckDuckGo - which seems somewhat more trustworthy). 

2. When using Google for anything (very rarely), I clear history, cookies, and cache when quitting my browser (usually Safari, sometimes Firefox, never Chrome). 

3. If I'm feeling especially paranoid, I shut down my Mac, local WiFi router, internet connection, and go take a nap. 

The mail server for my real email address offers something Google does not: A simple method to block and blacklist incoming mail from any domain or country code (such as everything from rouge domains like OVH.net, for example). Their crap never hits my inbox. 

I know, I know, these methods will not completely save us from the ongoing spam/scam/phishing nightmare. They make me feel better, in the hope that maybe some day humankind will be free from money-grubbing spammers and corporate jerks. Probably not, but maybe. 

Art, like morality, consists of drawing the line somewhere. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did want to make a note that last night some spam scri_pt started sending me spam from a OVH.net server and about three minutes after I reported it, the spam stopped.  I am not sure if I lucked out or if I happened to report at the time someone was in their office.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, gnarlymarley said:

 I am not sure if I lucked out or if I happened to report at the time someone was in their office

I get auto-acks but no action, All the google redirects show the pornsite is down?
https://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblock&ip=51.68.136.176

It's important to note that most of our services are rented "unmanaged" to our customers. 
This means that we only have physical access to the server and cannot access its content (no root, administrator, or user access). 
We are technically unable to modify or delete content, or making an abusive behavior stop by intervening directly on the server, 
as it is not managed by us.

Edited by petzl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2020 at 5:10 PM, petzl said:

I get auto-acks but no action

I don't get auto-acks from OVH.  I am guessing that 192.99.191.216 was an IP OVH (such as a router) that they didn't lease out because the spam stopped so fast.

https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6645272240z11289f59c30f6cd5bc6b75151bc01042z

Maybe that is why OVH might takes action on some and no action on others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2019 at 2:35 PM, Art101 said:

It's so sad. The Internet — the most important advance in human communication since the invention of the printing press — is highjacked by crazy, money-grubbing, jerkoff spammers. 

Just had to get my 50 bits in (inflation!).

I use it, I hate it , but need it because it's how we have to conduct business now days - that is, the "Internet". I wouldn't call it "advance" because it's made human beings personal -stuff- the most sought after commodity on the Internet. It has created a desire; a real need and generates the tools for business and government to Stalk, Monitor, Record and Control people. (SMRC). The Internet is digital Heroin/Crack/Meth combined.

The Internet brought hopes of tearing down borders, uniting people of all countries in joint efforts to rid poverty, better sources of food production, and a basic understanding between people (sans government and corporate controls). COVID-19(84) was a great opportunity for countries to rapidly analyze, disseminate, share and attack it globally. Instead, every country built walls around  their privatized kingdoms, and always, each accusing the other of using the 'net to interfere and direct the other's state affairs.

Google and ilk have reduced the WORLD-WIDE web into local-area classifieds in exchange for our rights to privacy. Facebook, Google. Microsoft ignore our basic humans rights and pimp us out to anyone with the $'s.

Your last phrase ..."is highjacked by crazy, money-grubbing, jerkoff spammers." nails it.  Almost 2 years after you made that comment, it's only gotten worse. 

The downside aside, there is some greatness in how medicine, surgery, advancements in science and medicine came about thanks to the Net. But at what costs? And in conclusion, there are circumstances where some have a great need to hide because they did the 'right thing', and Google, and cohorts want to sell that too.

Just agree'n s'all

~o~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe spamcop is having less of an impact on spam these days than is did before for the following reasons:

  1. Less people reporting. Nearly 100% of the time I report spam, I am seeing the IP address not on the spamcop blocklist (and most others). So what is the point in using the spamcop blocklist if nothing is being blocked?
  2. Too many devulls to abuse email accounts.
  3. Very few ISPs bothering to take action. Probably  because of item #1 in combination with very few of their customers getting bounces about being blocked, so they cannot complain about something which never happens.

Maybe it's time to lower the reporting threshold, and put an IP address on the block list longer?

It's gotten so bad, I have just outright started blocking IP address ranges of service providers when I get spam from them 2-3 times in a row. This means they are not going to take action, thus need to be blocked

Edited by KNERD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2020 at 6:10 PM, KNERD said:

It's gotten so bad, I have just outright started blocking IP address ranges of service providers when I get spam from them 2-3 times in a row. This means they are not going to take action, thus need to be blocked

I'm confused, because my 'system' that has been sending invoices for years, using the same format, except edited a couple of times so as not to appear spamish are blacklisted. Recently, none get through, and I only find out after 2 months when no one has paid - they are not getting them. I get copies from same account that sends the invoices. Somewhere, a anti-spam decided to add my IP to their list based on what - invoice attached?  It's getting so that legal, honest emails are being beaten down while faked large corporate names abused in spam (Apple winner etcetera) get off. 

Anti-spam may fade away, and lose it's battle. But only because the large corporate peons running Gmail, YahooMail, HotMail (still), Livemail and other privacy harvesters and ilk won't support anti-spam.  Most people have been conned into using webmail and are just commodity - innocent collateral Googies. 

I now use SpamCop just to paste those entire message source so I can easily read the tracks and manually adding the first 3 octets of  the lazy ISP to cPanel > Email > Global Email Filters. I still submit the spam - but that is no longer why I use SpamCop.

~0~

Edited by Outernaut
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2020 at 12:09 PM, Outernaut said:

Recently, none get through, and I only find out after 2 months when no one has paid - they are not getting them. I get copies from same account that sends the invoices.

I am curious if you are not getting bounces or if the invoice emails are going to their spam folders and they are not paying attention to it.  Google has made some changes to their spam folders a few years back and now I have to check the spam folder on a daily basis for non-spam email.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2020 at 3:50 PM, gnarlymarley said:

I am curious if you are not getting bounces or if the invoice emails are going to their spam folders and they are not paying attention to it.  Google has made some changes to their spam folders a few years back and now I have to check the spam folder on a daily basis for non-spam email.

The only way to know is to test. For Hotmail/Outlook, from my own email server, they messages go to spam. WHy? I do not know as other legit email even goes there. I even see Microsoft's own email going to spam. However, if there is a real problem with your email, it will outright reject the email with a notice as to why, and what to do.

For Google, it never rejects email. During some testing, I have seem spammers emails goes to spam folder, but during my own initial testing with email server, the email just outright goes into a black hole. I finally got the emails through after some tweaks to my own server.

If anyone is having issue with running their email server, then I suggest people use online tools available to test for potential problems which can get your email through.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2020 at 1:09 PM, Outernaut said:

I'm confused, because my 'system' that has been sending invoices for years, using the same format, except edited a couple of times so as not to appear spamish are blacklisted. Recently, none get through, and I only find out after 2 months when no one has paid - they are not getting them. I get copies from same account that sends the invoices. Somewhere, a anti-spam decided to add my IP to their list based on what - invoice attached?  It's getting so that legal, honest emails are being beaten down while faked large corporate names abused in spam (Apple winner etcetera) get off. 

Anti-spam may fade away, and lose it's battle. But only because the large corporate peons running Gmail, YahooMail, HotMail (still), Livemail and other privacy harvesters and ilk won't support anti-spam.  Most people have been conned into using webmail and are just commodity - innocent collateral Googies. 

I now use SpamCop just to paste those entire message source so I can easily read the tracks and manually adding the first 3 octets of  the lazy ISP to cPanel > Email > Global Email Filters. I still submit the spam - but that is no longer why I use SpamCop.

~0~

Are you running your own mail server?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 9/29/2020 at 1:50 PM, gnarlymarley said:
On 9/27/2020 at 11:09 AM, Outernaut said:

Recently, none get through, and I only find out after 2 months when no one has paid - they are not getting them. I get copies from same account that sends the invoices.

I am curious if you are not getting bounces or if the invoice emails are going to their spam folders and they are not paying attention to it.  Google has made some changes to their spam folders a few years back and now I have to check the spam folder on a daily basis for non-spam email.

I have no idea @gnarlymarley where the emails are going.Any mail with any of those addresses ends up in the byte bucket.

As for my own domains' email send-outs disappearing, it seems only Google mail rejects them. Was probably something I said ;)

I hate to say this, but I guess I'll have to set up a kmail account at Google, and check what's happening that way. I still think Pinemail was better.

~o~

Edited by Outernaut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/2/2020 at 11:48 AM, Outernaut said:

I have no idea @gnarlymarley where the emails are going.Any mail with any of those addresses ends up in the byte bucket.

As for my own domains' email send-outs disappearing, it seems only Google mail rejects them. Was probably something I said ;)

I hate to say this, but I guess I'll have to set up a kmail account at Google, and check what's happening that way. I still think Pinemail was better.

~o~

If Gmail is rejecting the emails, then there will be a notice in the rejection email as to why, and what you can do about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2020 at 4:50 PM, gnarlymarley said:

now I have to check the [gmail] spam folder on a daily basis for non-spam email.

I remember when the gmail spam folder stopped being empty all the time.  But so far, no non-spams in my spam folder(s).  That would be an awful turn of events, as they evolve from doing everything well to not doing anything right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2020 at 1:50 PM, gnarlymarley said:

I am curious if you are not getting bounces or if the invoice emails are going to their spam folders and they are not paying attention to it.  Google has made some changes to their spam folders a few years back and now I have to check the spam folder on a daily basis for non-spam email.

@gnarlymarley
First of all, I don't accept public wmail from clients. Either they use their real email, or they don't get a reply. So, when invoices go out, it's to real email address. Google, Microsoft and ilk are not involved.

I have the invoices sent to a real email and BCC my invoicing ware to another email address. Like so: (public mail is NOT involved - ever!)

 From: billing@anotherdomain.TLD
 Reply to: billing@anotherdomain.TLD
 To: Client@domainname.TLD 
 BCC:billing@anotherdomain.TLD, copies@copies.TLD

The BCCs arrive. I added a additional test by BCC: my_private_email@Big-Telcom.TLD and those arrive as well.

Two clients use a big telecom instead, thereby branding/advertising the telecom, not their own domain, but using a 2 x 4 to convince them otherwise is still illegal. They get their invoices. Not to their-site.TLD

On 10/3/2020 at 11:45 AM, KNERD said:

If Gmail is rejecting the emails, then there will be a notice in the rejection email as to why, and what you can do about it.

@KNERD
I refuse to send invoices through any public web-mail stalker. All my clients have their own TLD. I even offer to set them up with real email 'nullamque causam'. So Google and ilk are never involved. Those that insist on not using a real email address, get their invoices via snail-mail +$6.50 fee. Most pay the fee since it's only once 6 or 12 month, pending plan.

The crux is this, that most are served invoices from the same mail server - the only thing not reaching clients are the invoices.  I checked the server but no emails deleted, bounced, or junked. 

 

On 10/2/2020 at 8:17 AM, KNERD said:

Are you running your own mail server?

@KNERD
You betcha! Wouldn't have it any other way, save for 10 email accounts at my telecom. The rest, clients and myself on my own Email servers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Outernaut said:

First of all, I don't accept public wmail from clients. Either they use their real email, or they don't get a reply. So, when invoices go out, it's to real email address.

Ah, so any bounces from "postmaster@client_host.com" or from "<>" might have been rejected to your account.  Also, those bounce replies would have gone to either "From: billing@anotherdomain.TLD" or to the mail__envelope_from you setup when the emails were sent.  If you like, and it is visable, you can set to the mail headers "Warnings-To: billing@anotherdomain.TLD" or "Errors-To: billing@anotherdomain.TLD" to get problems, but these headers usually go out with the emails and could be visible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×