How to automatically submit spam?

lisali

Automatic reporting is not always a good idea.  Years ago, I had a forward as an attachment rule that automatically reported spam.  For some reason I had a friend that got caught in that rule and it was automatically reported.  Needless to say, we no longer speak.  Now if you are saying that you will go through the spam yourself before being it gets "automatically reported", then that maybe a different thing.  Having the ability to detect false-positives and false-negatives before reporting is the reason why we have the spamcop page with the information it has on it by the submit button, so we can double check.

Maybe I should ask, what do you mean by reporting automatically?

5 minutes ago, gnarlymarley said:

Automatic reporting is not always a good idea.  Years ago, I had a forward as an attachment rule that automatically reported spam.  For some reason I had a friend that got caught in that rule and it was automatically reported.  Needless to say, we no longer speak.  Now if you are saying that you will go through the spam yourself before being it gets "automatically reported", then that maybe a different thing.  Having the ability to detect false-positives and false-negatives before reporting is the reason why we have the spamcop page with the information it has on it by the submit button, so we can double check.

Maybe I should ask, what do you mean by reporting automatically?

That sucks. However, we assign every sender a unique email on our domain, to track any email leaks/spam. If an email is compromised, we change it at the source, and then set the compromised email to forward any incoming spam to SpamCop. Those emails will only ever receive spam so we don't need to check those reports. But there does not seem to be a way to do that?

20 hours ago, lisali said:

Is there a way to avoid getting and acting on individual emails

Not anymore too many cannot or won't get their mailhost set-up/working used to have "Quick" reporting 

Edited by petzl

• 1 year later...
On 2/25/2018 at 10:13 AM, lisali said:

Hi,

Is there a way to avoid getting and acting on individual emails that say "SpamCop is now ready to process your spam. Use links to finish spam reporting (members use cookie-login please!)" and process all submitted spam automatically?

Thanks!

Regards the above email message, can someone tell me what the request, "members use cookie-login please!" means?  Is that different from a standard SpamCop login?  Thanks!

On 2/25/2018 at 10:36 AM, lisali said:

If an email is compromised, we change it at the source, and then set the compromised email to forward any incoming spam to SpamCop. Those emails will only ever receive spam so we don't need to check those reports. But there does not seem to be a way to do that?

There are some ways to accomplish this.  Since not all of my email providers support forwarding as an attachment, I did it using a unix program called fetchmail and a perl scri_pt.  (The perl scri_pt encapsulates the email as an attachment and sends it to the reporting address.)

I will offer a word of caution about full automation of reporting, as I have recently had one group send me an email fifteen years after I had signed up on the list to my main email address.  (Yes, they went quiet for more than a decade.)  If someone were to do a restore or grab the old email address, then you could be trying to report legitimate email.

That said, I have not had any problems with reporting from my accounts I signed up and never used for email.