what do you do with unhelpful ISPs?

spiro3

from spiro

i am a little new to this, anyway i am with an e-mail provider (o2 mail) that dose nothing about spam mail being sent through it old address (genieone.co.uk)to new address at o2.co.uk. i have sent countless e-mail and nothing but point less suggestions and apologies, :( and tell me "there is nothing they can do because Genieone email no longer exists", thanks o2 :angry: .

i still get 20 spams a day through there old email address to my o2-email address. o2 has no mail filtering.

how do i get there attention on this matter? is there any way i can sort this out my self? or do i just get a new email isp?

my other question is how do i tell the difference between spam and bounced mail?

many thanks

spiro

spamcop user

Your first question probably (unfortunately based on the current configuration of these Forums) should apparently be asked over in the Lounge area, as you make no reference to having a SpamCop filtered e-mail account. Will also note that there is no way to answer your query as it is posed, as you make no mention of your software / platform involved in handling your e-mail.

Your second question is basically answered by taking a look at the headers, if you can't tell by the Subject: Line, or From: address. And the "how to look at the headers" also gets back to what software you've got in place.

my other question is how do i tell the difference between spam and bounced mail?

Not sure if you are trying to draw a fine line or not, but generally speaking, bounced mail will clearly indicate that it is being returned to you as the supposed sender for any number of reasons (bad address, refused by sender)

20 spams a day, not many compared to most around here 1,000 - 10,000 a day is not unheard of.

One thing you may want to consider is a SpamCop email account, and forward your existing account to SpamCop where they can and will be filtered.

Not sure if you are trying to draw a fine line or not, but generally speaking, bounced mail will clearly indicate that it is being returned to you as the supposed sender for any number of reasons (bad address, refused by sender)

20 spams a day, not many compared to most around here 1,000 - 10,000 a day is not unheard of.

One thing you may want to consider is a SpamCop email account, and forward your existing account to SpamCop where they can and will be filtered.

15197[/snapback]

with regards to bounced mail, i was trying to understand what is meant by bounced mail and should i report as spam? as i now understand spamcop's defenition as 'undeliverd mail returned'. it clearly should not be reported as spam. cool!

The o2 email.co.uk is a web based email account provided by my ISP (o2 mobile). it is free, it has no forwarding, it provides no filtering, and it sucks! quite frankly.

i only use it for my sony ericsson phone (also on o2 mobile) which has pop3 facilaties but no mail filtering.

unless i can divert all email from o2mail to spamcop email, i geuss what i really have to do is find an alternative provider, no problem.

i will however continue to report the spam i am getting as a matter of principal.

many thanks

spiro

Even if your provider is unable to forward email, you have stated that they have pop3 services. You can configure SpamCop email to pop your current provider account, filter it, and then you can POP SamCop for the filtered list of mail.

Hi,

yes, of course Watson, you have an interesting point. :o

i was not aware spamcop had pop3. So i can receive through spamcop! and smtp as normal through my isp mail :)

i am assuming that spamcop automatically downloads my mail periodically, can someone confirm?

many thanks guys, i shall be looking into that shortly

spiro

p.s. this could be the beginning of a beautiful relation :rolleyes:

hi

i am going through the spamcop FAQ right now... it looks like what i need spamcop mail to do is fetch my pop3 mail in the same way my mobile phone does, as any mail client like outlook exprs eudora etc.....

many thanks once again

spiro

Archived