mail host HCCnet

When adding mail host HCCNET, I got two entries for it in the configuration. The second had domain names containing "Nijmegen". I expected only one entry per mail host.

Note: I did delete the second from the list, just in case.

It is quite possible to get 2 or more entries for a single mailhost submission because of the shared configuration. There could be one ISP that is broken up into 2 sub groups simply because of the way they were created. You should probably bring this case to the attention of the deputies<at>spamcop.net with mailhost in the subject line as they have requested. Perhaps they can merger the two groups. Please give them as much datail about the 2 groups as possible.

In the meantime, I would not report spam (or be EXTREMELY careful in doing so) because it is likely some of your email travels the servers in the group you removed. The alternative would be to register it again.

I am a bit confused as to exactly what you are refering to.

The mail host listing is made up of 4 parts

The "Mailhost name" is the registered name of the mail host which can service many different domains. As an example "Mindspring" is the mailhost name for Earthlink and all the many other domains it manages.

"Email address" is the last email address that you registered that uses the "Mailhost name" indicated above it. You may have many different addresses and or domains, but as long as they use the same "Mailhost name" only the last one registered will be listed.

"Hosts/Domains" is a bit confusing as it does not list every domain served by the "Mailhost name" What it does list is the name of the various mail host servers utilized by the "Mailhost name" Those names appear in a drop down list.

"Relaying IP's" lists only the IP addresses of the relays used by the Mailhost

It does not list IP address for the Mailhosts themselves or of any individual user.

The addresses appear in a drop down list.

Are you saying that the "Mailhost name" is listed twice with a different set of entries below each?

When adding mail host HCCNET, I got two entries for it in the configuration. The second had domain names containing "Nijmegen". I expected only one entry per mail host.
We apear to have a confusion in terms. You say "When adding mail host HCCNET" As a user you do not actually add any mail hosts. The registation form has a button to "Add New Host" which relates to the third section "Host/Domains" It opens a new window labeled "Add mailhost which is an alternate use of the term and therefor is very confusing. It requests two pieces of information. Your email address and What is the standard name of this email provider - for instance, hotmail.com might be referred to simply as "Hotmail"? The name you enter here only gets used if there is no mail host allready registered by someone else for the email address (domain) you are registering. The registered name can be completely different from the name that you entered.

Are you saying that when you registered a single email address the system created two separate sets of entries in your mail host file? Refer to description above.

If that is the case please post the mail host names listed and the ISP name you were registering

It is possible for an ISP to utilize more than one mail host (more likely with small ISP's than larger ones)

It is a very BAD practice to delete any mail host that the system has added for you unless you know for a fact that the mail host is solely related to an ISP you had orignially registered but have now terminated your relationship with.

I took it to mean (and how I replied) that when he registered his mailhost, 2 mailhost entries were inserted. I thought that because he mentiones removing one of them and you can only remove entire mailhost entries, not parts thereof.

I.E. Register an earthlink address and both earthlink and mindspring mailhosts show up. Since they could be using servers from both lists, I would say it could be dangerous to report without leaving both entries (or having them combined into one by the deputies).

In the meantime, I would not report spam (or be EXTREMELY careful in doing so) because it is likely some of your email travels the servers in the group you removed.  The alternative would be to register it again.

15512[/snapback]

I have registered the second (sub)group again.

I have registered the second (sub)group again.
How did you regiser the "second (sub)group" was it a different email address? or did you simply re-register your original address?

How did you regiser the "second (sub)group" was it a different email address? or did you simply re-register your original address?

15530[/snapback]

The procedure to register my one and only email account presented me with a list of 5 servers for this host, 3 of them were tested, 1 of these 3 I did register again, which recreated the second entry, or subgroup if you like.

The procedure to register my one and only email account presented me with a list of 5 servers for this host, 3 of them were tested, 1 of these 3 I did register again, which recreated the second entry, or subgroup if you like.
I believe you are moving to to dangerous waters.

If I were you, I would delete all of your current mail hosts and then re-register your one and only email address. You should not be concerned that it created a list of 5 servers. All 5 should be kept. just for your information. If you register a single address with earthlink you will receive a list of 93 separate servers.

I only cannot recall how two servers were put aside in the process; certainly I did not do it.

What I did was testing a path which you would not like to be followed by the general user, indeed. The suggestion to combine the subgroups into a single entry is even more supported by you, right?

Meanwhile I have emailed the deputies, as suggested by Steven Underwood, to consider that combination with reference to this forum and topic.

I only cannot recall how two servers were put aside in the process; certainly I did not do it.

What I did was testing a path which you would not like to be followed by the general user, indeed.  The suggestion to combine the subgroups into a single entry is even more supported by you, right?

15562[/snapback]

Having multiple mailhost names does not create any problems, so if the system creates more than one, I would leave it alone.

But if the second one was created by your experiment, I would delete everything and start over and simply accept what ever the system creates.

Archived