How To Redirect With Attachments?

Hello!

When I use the redirect function in SpamCop and the message has attachments, well any message really, people receiving the redirect get a somewhat or totally garbled message in Outlook Express, but if I look at the same message in WebMail, it looks fine.

A sample message of what we are seeing in Outlook Express is shown below. Does anyone know how to make SpamCop redirect the original message and leave the original message alone rather than convert to inline and base64?

Failing this, it appears that Outlook Express just doesn't handle inline messages or base64 encoded attachments well at all, is there a way to fix this? I am hesitant to tell people that they need to fix up their e-mail clients to be able to read the redirect I sent them ... if it is even possible to fix it?

Is there something I can set in SpamCop that will force it not to redirect anything as inline or base 64, but redirect in the original format as received? I didn't find anything in the options, but maybe I missed it, just didn't see it.

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can give!!! :D:D:D

This is what people are seeing below ....

Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

Content-Disposition: inline

Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Bunch of white space ...

Message here ....

Bunch more white space

=20

=20

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Content-Type: application/ppt; name="test.ppt

Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="test.ppt"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

0M8R4KGxGuEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPgADAP7/CQAGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAJ

AAAAKQQAAAAAAAAAEAAA/v///wAAAAD+////AAAAACAEAAAhBAAAIgQAACME

AAAkBAAAJQQAACYEAAAnBAAAKAQAAP//////////////////////////////

I do not think that is an SpamCop issue

I have a private domain which dumps mail into an Earthlink account which forwards mail to my SpamCop account.

I POP my spamcop acount using OE 5.5 and have no problems at all with attachments.

You may want to try using IMAP as a work around

See the following thread for more information and ideas

How I use spam Cop, A detailed example

I do not think that is an SpamCop issue

I have a private domain which dumps mail into an Earthlink account which forwards mail to my SpamCop account.

I POP my spamcop acount using OE 5.5 and have no problems at all with attachments.

You may want to try using IMAP as a work around

See the following thread for more information and ideas

How I use spam Cop, A detailed example

15823[/snapback]

Hi D!

Thanks for your reply. Thanks also for the reference to the other post, you have a lot of interesting ideas there and it appears I can use some of those ideas to make my experience with SpamCop better.

I partly agree with you that it is a not SpamCop issue, per se, but people I have been redirecting to from SpamCop who use OE, they are the ones having a problem. So, while it is not entirely a SpamCop issue and appears to be a problem with the way OE manages multipart messages with inline or base64 encoded attachments, the problem still remains that people who use OE receive a mess out of SpamCop.

It appears that the redirection function in SpamCop automatically selects inline and there is no option not to go with inline both on the message part and the attachment part. It looks like we do have this option for attachments in the forward e-mail function, just not with redirect.

In the SpamCop help it also warns that when using the attachments feature (presumably for the forward), one should not select inline if the recipient's e-mail client can't handle inline, otherwise it will be received as an attachment. In the case of OE that is not correct information, I think. If anything is sent inline to OE, it gets mangled and doesn't come out looking right and has gotten me some complaints from people who I redirected to or forwarded to (with inline instead of attach).

Barry

There's also the possibility that others are running their systems in a more secure mode than you're accustomed to. The sample you provide for instance makes the assumption that the recipient has some Microsoft software installed, and permissions set that would allegedly allow either Microsoft Office or perhaps a PowerPoint viewer applicaiton to start upon looking at this e-mail. Whereas, some folks have followed the many, many suggestions to set OE to "read as plain text only" .. run in "restricted zone" with any and all scripting and automatic stuff turned off .... and then the setting to "do not allow attachments to be opened or saved ..." ..... This could explain the "problems" of some of your recipients also. Some ISPs have increased the list of file extensions not allowed to pass, again, thanks to the spammers and virus/trojan writers.

Just trying to suggest that there could be a lot more to the picture than just alleging that it's a SpamCop e-mail issue.

Archived