forward to held mail

I end up forwarding numerous spam messages from my other account to spamcop. Is there a way to forward it to the held mail folder so I can report it en masse? After all I already have to make a conscious effort to forward it. Thanks

If you're forwarding it, why not forward it to your spam submission address instead?

JT

Maybe I should explain myself better.

1. I have another web based account (ureach.com)

2. When I get spam there I forward it to the address found in the spamcop spam submition page such as

Forward your spam to: submit.[elided][at]spam.spamcop.net or:

3. At this point spam is accepted for the submition, nowever I will not see it in my Held Mail folder but have to go to Submit spam and manualy submit each entry

4. Is there a way to drop it into the Held mail so I can use bulk submit?

It's interesting that JeffG modified my message but never answered. Is it so silly or I'm missing something?

What JeffG modified was the 'complete' SpamCop reporting address you'd included in your write-up. Trying to save you the grief of having your reporting address used by someone else. It seems to me that I saw someone do this yesterday, was going to make mention of it, then looking at it closer, the address actually looked a bit bogus, so passed. Maybe this was the same post? Did you type in your actual reporting address or was JeffG just too quick on the draw? <g>

As far as answering, he'd already tried by pointing you back to the Pinned FAQ on setting up your accounts. I think what he was suggesting and you haven't caught is the Held Mail Folder is an action item for e-mail handled by the SpamCop e-mail system. Meaning, e-mail that SpamCop either picked up via POPing your other account(s) or that your other accounts Forwarded to your SpamCop e-mail account.

That you're "Forwarding" to your "Reporting address" is not using the SpamCop e-mail app at all, thus there is no way to move your spam submittals to the Held Folder, as it's going right to the spam parser engine.

It's interesting that JeffG modified my message but never answered. Is it so silly or I'm missing something?

I think it was answered twice. But, maybe the answer you're looking for is: no, you can't forward email to SpamCop and have it automatically end up in your Held Mail.

JT

What JeffG modified was the 'complete' SpamCop reporting address you'd included in your write-up.  Trying to save you the grief of having your reporting address used by someone else.

Hey guys, I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings. And (being spamcop customer) I did modified mail link by replacing part of it with "blahblah", however id does look better after JeffG's editing :)

I'm not trying to forward all my UREACH mail to my spamcop account for whatever reason, only spam that wasn't cut by UREACH spam filters. And I do understand that when I use the reporing address spam ends up in the reporting engine. And I do understand now that I cannot pull it back to the Held mail folder. So I have just one more question if you would:

1. What happens if I forward these spam messages to my spamcop account instead of using the forwarding address? Woldn't my ureach account be reported as a spam source?

Again for me it's just a usability question - if I already identified message as a spam it makes IMHO an ideal candidate for the bulk reporting

Regards,

Bob Stone

1. What happens if I forward these spam messages to my spamcop account instead of using the forwarding address? Woldn't my ureach account be reported as a spam source?

Yes, if you forward the message to your SpamCop account, that, in essence, becomes a new message from you to you. If you then report that message, you'll be reporting your own ISP for spam.

JT

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting discusion.

I tried Jeff's original answer and found that it works great.

By simply opening up a new mail account within outlook express using IMAP (by the way do not check "Include this account when receiving mail or synchronizing" as you will end up downloading the mail again) and making the held mail folder visable you can simply drag and drop your spam into your spamcop account.

Then going to your spamcop email account you can process the mail in bulk.

I have recently posted a question as to how best to do this ie full reporting or quick reporting, you may want to look at that discussion "Quick Reporting vs Full Reporting, Advantages / Disadvantages ??" http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=417

Archived