Updated Look and Feel for SpamCop.Net

feedbackwelcome

Arrgghhh <g> Trying to guess at what to do "here" ... JT had let me see his side of things, but there weren't that many big things going on with his side ... Heck, it even took me a minute or two to even see where the Help button went <g>

spamcop.net,Oct 6 2004, 01:11 AM]Please let the user choice the font, that’s ergonomic.

You can. Look in the upper right-hand corner of the pages: Text Size - +

Also, if you're using a CSS2 compliant browser (such as Firefox), there is an option on the bottom "chrome" of the browser to change the font sizes.

bonni

Kudos to you for the new look - I like it! I hope that I will still be able to use my desktop shortcut to go directly to my Held Log at http://www.spamcop.net/reportheld?action=heldlog in the future, rather than having to trek through signing in to webmail each and every time( (no cookie - "remember password" there), and then going to it. I know that was discussed elsewhere. Just a comment.

spamcop.net,Oct 6 2004, 03:44 PM]it is not the size, but the typeface which is unreadable.

Go for - font-family:Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif - or things like this.

Yes, the new typeface makes reading the detailed parse page a lot harder.

Overall, the new look is much more modern and easier on the eye, but the typeface ruins it. Please either change it, or give the option to select it, like we can with the size.

it is not the size, but the typeface which is unreadable. Go for - font-family:Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif - or things like this.

I just took a look at the CSS, where I saw:

Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif

Verdana has known "issues" when used on the Web. Here's one of many articles mentioning this:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/verdana.html

The problem is that there is no standard set of screen fonts that exists across all platfoms. The overlapping of common fonts has improved a little, but only on the more recent releases of the various operating systems (such as Mac OS X). For many years, the ubiquitous "Arial" looked very bad on most Macs, but that problem has been reduced. Designers also can't simply state "sans-serif" because the default looks bad on many systems, so they continue to specify fonts that look good on their own systems, or on a majority of systems.

It would probably help if those of you who are having problems would specify your OS and browser.

DT

It would probably help if those of you who are having problems would specify your OS and browser.

Firefox on CPM^H^H^HWindows XP. I also took the extreme measure of using IE for a look. The parse page, looks different, but just as hard to read.

...The buttons under the SpamCop logo ("Report spam," "Mailhosts," etc) change to a much smaller size on mouseover.  VERY ANNOYING and hard to read!

Interesting...the CSS is using ".85em" for those hover effects ("font-size: .85em"), but for the nav links when not hovering over them uses "85%" ("font-size: 85%"). That's probably the explanation, and the designer should probably stick to using percentages if that solves the problem.

Firefox on CPM^H^H^HWindows XP

Lots of us are using that same combination, but it looks fine, so perhaps you've modified your default "Fonts & Colors" in the FireFox Options?

I see the following font usage in the parsing:

font face="courier, fixed" (on the received lines, for example)

font face="courier" size=2 (on the line after "Please make sure this email IS spam")

One or both of those might be causing your display issues, I suppose. For the spam headers, the designer is using "pre" which should be OK.

And Graeme....I still have two functional CPM machines...one a Kaypro and one an Otrona (it runs both CPM and MSDOS).

DT

And Graeme....I still have two functional CPM machines...one a Kaypro and one an Otrona (it runs both CPM and MSDOS).

And I'll counter with a Franklin 1200 (Apple II+ clone) and and Apple IIc with an AE card with the Z-80 co-processor on top of the 1 Meg of RAM inside that non-expandable case ... both run WordStar just fine <g>

Lots of us are using that same combination, but it looks fine, so perhaps you've modified your default "Fonts & Colors" in the FireFox Options?

font face="courier" size=2 (on the line after "Please make sure this email IS spam")

One or both of those might be causing your display issues, I suppose. For the spam headers, the designer is using "pre" which should be OK.

I might have changed the default fonts, but there's no way to set them back to default through the options interface. Mind posting your settings, so I can check them?

The problem for me is that in the default size, the header information is readable, but the parse information is too big. If I change to the smaller css option, the headers are unreadable, but the parse is fine.

I haven't actually used CPM for about 15 years. The last time was on a Molecular, which was kind of like a LAN in a single box. Each user terminal connected to its own CPU, but they all shared disk space.

My current Firefox User Agent string is:

Mozilla/5.0 (CPM; U; CPM Z80; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040626 Firefox/0.9.1

Mind posting your settings, so I can check them?

I'm pretty sure I didn't mess with mine, which are on an XP Home machine with a 17" LCD:

Proportional: Serif Size: 16

Serif: Times New Roman

Sans-serif: Arial

Monospaced: Courier New Size: 13

Display Resolution: 96dpi

Minimum font size: None

"Always use my..." nothing checked

My current Firefox User Agent string is:

Mozilla/5.0 (CPM; U; CPM Z80; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040626 Firefox/0.9.1

You might want to give FireFox 1.0PR a try.

DT

The problem for me is that in the default size, the header information is readable, but the parse information is too big. If I change to the smaller css option, the headers are unreadable, but the parse is fine.

I am using IE6SP1 and WinXPSP2 or Win2KSP4.

I am seeing the parse font does appear to be larger and similiar to an Ariel font and the Headers are a Courier type font and about half the size. I actually like this because it makes the 2 parts easier to distinguish. These appear the same on about 5 different machines, so they are all the default configs. Is this what you are saying is the problem?

Also, the mouseovers on the tabs are working fine in this configuration for all text sizes.

I am seeing the parse font does appear to be larger and similiar to an Ariel font and the Headers are a Courier type font and about half the size.  I actually like this because it makes the 2 parts easier to distinguish.  These appear the same on about 5 different machines, so they are all the default configs.  Is this what you are saying is the problem?

Yup. I normally scan through the details of each parse as I scroll through it. With the new system, it's very difficult to read it at a glance. Do you have detailed parsing on or off?

Also, the mouseovers on the tabs are working fine in this configuration for all text sizes.

I don't have any problems with the mouseovers.

Proportional: Serif  Size: 16

Serif: Times New Roman

Sans-serif: Arial

Monospaced: Courier New  Size: 13

Display Resolution: 96dpi

Minimum font size: None

"Always use my..." nothing checked

Then I am running the defaults.

You might want to give FireFox 1.0PR a try.

I am running it. It's just not reflected in my UA string. ;)

Ah, ha!

Found the problem. I was browsing a site a couple of days ago that had a small font and I used Prefbar to increase the font size. I thought that it only affected the current page, but it seems to be sticky. So I was browsing all pages with an increased font size. I set it back to normal and the parse page reads OK now. I still don't like the font they're using on the parse page, but it is now readable.

spamcop.net,Oct 6 2004, 01:11 AM]The new look of the spamcop site seems to be alright, more organized but the font are horrible to read, gives me headache. Please let the user choice the font, that’s ergonomic.  :angry:

I'd be interested to see a screen-shot of how it look for you as well as some details on what browser and operating system you're using. Although we specify Verdana first, we provide 3 different fall-back options, which should each look OK. Browsers should exhaust the options given by the stylesheet before they deteriorate to other fonts.

I'd like to stick with verdana if I can, but I can roll back to helvetica or arial without too much pain if it is really an unavoidable problem.

-=Julian=-

...The buttons under the SpamCop logo ("Report spam," "Mailhosts," etc) change to a much smaller size on mouseover.  VERY ANNOYING and hard to read!

That certianly would be annoying. I've standardized on "em" as the font-size specifier rather than percent. Let me know if the problem is fixed - I never saw such behavior in my testing - definitely not intentional.

-=Julian=-

I'll be gradually migrateing all the "live" content like that to CSS use rather than "font" tags. As you say, it should be fine this way for now, but you can expect that it'll get converted to "div" with an appropriate style entry down the road some day.

-=Julian=-

Archived