Flooded With Groupon spam

5280 Guy

If I submit the full headers I wind up with this:

To: abuse#iana.org@devnull.spamcop.net (Notes).  I am under the impression that that doesn't do anything.

If I remove the "received" text, the report would go to abuse@groupon.com - a total waste of time. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Delivered-To: me@gmail.com
Received: by 2002:ab3:1a8d:0:0:0:0:0 with SMTP id 13-v6csp356157ltt;
        Thu, 20 Sep 2018 05:19:41 -0700 (PDT)
X-Google-Smtp-Source: ANB0VdYxA2Xpma18r9gjwN9InDhJv8fNefRIF75zVF5eC0kAX5c5Ys1GeRcD4p6h2iOXFoxjCtWw
X-Received: by 2002:a17:902:6b47:: with SMTP id g7-v6mr39762682plt.128.1537445980976;
        Thu, 20 Sep 2018 05:19:40 -0700 (PDT)
ARC-Seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1537445980; cv=none;

SpamCop's first objective is to build a blocklist that can be used by ISPs to help filter their clients incoming email.  All email submitted and parsed do support this objective.

In some cases the second objective, sending spam reports to host of the sender, are not sent for one of several reasons. These spam reports are filed at @devnull.spamcop.net for historical reference.  spam reports are not sent because, 1) the addressee, in this case iana.org, may have ask NOT to receive reports, 2) reports have been bounced, 3) it is known that the host/isp forwards the spam reports directly to the sender/spammer,...

SpamCop does not want to add to the email clutter on the internet, so if reports are not used correctly or not received, they choose not to sent them.

The parser is also a tool you can use.  If you feel the tool does not meet your needs you can of course supplement where reports are sent.

The problem with OP‘s issue is that google is using their 10.nnn.nnn.nnn private network addresses encapsulated into 6to4 IPv6 addresses and propagating them into the Received: headers. SpamCop chokes on that specific „internal“ network type IPv6 style. Instead of ignoring it like it does with IPv4 private network addresses, it wants to report to the address holder => IANA.ORG. 

Problem is, neither SpamCop nor google want to fix it.

Archived