Help with a mail received few times saying my email is hacked

CaLy

Hello !

Since 3 days ago i received 3 times the mail with text

Hello!

I'm a hacker who cracked your email and device a few months ago.
You entered a password on one of the sites you visited, and I intercepted it.
This is your password blablabla

and its weird because the password gave there is the one i used the 1st time i registered the email.

I changed the passwords several times, and i got this email again , as i said, and it says to send money to a bitcoin address wich of course i will NOT do that.

I contacted support of that email i have, and they said to forget about it , the email server is secure and blablabla.

The other parts of the mails says:

Of course you can will change it, or already changed it.
But it doesn't matter, my malware updated it every time.
Do not try to contact me or find me, it is impossible, since I sent you an email from your account.
blabla

I submited 2 . and it says it was reported to two postmasters. What else should I do? copy the email address and report to them again? 

or just let spamcop do the rest?

Thank you and have a nice week in advance!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Please keep submitting the reports.  I got two versions of thisthis and it turns out one was my original linkedin password.  The other is one of my spamtraps.  These emails are completely false and are just looking for people who will donate to them.  You can try submitting this directly to the administrators, but it appears to me that they might be spam friendly, so I am not sure that will work.  The best option I can see is to get them on the spamcop blocking list.

I also received a short blizzard of this type of spam about a month ago.  Some included an old throw-away password, but were also address to a 'directory attack list' of mailboxes at a couple of my domains. (Bob{AT} I understand but F***you{AT}, starvation{AT} tur*{AT} I don't understand)

Just keep reporting them all.  Really pinhead{AT}domain{dot}com does not have a mailbox at my domain with a password of 'thisisdumb'

It is a numbers game. If they send out a million email and only 0.1% of those respond, it is a good days work

Thank you all for your answers !

Of course i will keep reporting the email GnarlyMarley.

I received another one today of course reported.

Now i discovered the btc addresses are different. And the password "hacked" or "cracked" also are different than the 1st one.

2 hours ago, CaLy said:

Thank you all for your answers !

Of course i will keep reporting the email GnarlyMarley.

I received another one today of course reported.

Now i discovered the btc addresses are different. And the password "hacked" or "cracked" also are different than the 1st one.

Just a Criminal Phishing scam. If you are a Windows user turn "Windows Defender" ON surprisingly accurate so-far

Also lopk for the "SpamCop Tracking URL" at to of page before you submit, copy it before you submit report to post here if you have question, you can then get better advice.
https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6495265847ze8966850e1ce2d10f05d463925ee5d1dz

Edited by petzl

CaLy think you for trying, however, you did not provide the correct link. If you look at the end of the URL you posted you will se "reportid=xxxxxxxxxx"  Looking at petzl's you will see "?id=...." followed by a long code; That is a Tracking URL The tracking URL is near the top of the screen when you report an email OR in the email you receive from SpamCop when you submit spam by email.

5 hours ago, RobiBue said:

from the vast amount of data breaches, this goon got my old password as well:

Interesting that there appear to be three different formats for this email.  I know two of the formats are using the linked-in passwords from their password breach.  The other one is just sending those messages to alias accounts that do not have a valid account/password, which appears to be some sort of copycat message.  My suspicion is that there are three different individuals/groups that are sending this stuff out.

As a side note, this is why I am not trying to share passwords and I keep track of which password I use where so I can note what got "hacked".

3 hours ago, gnarlymarley said:

Interesting that there appear to be three different formats for this email.  I know two of the formats are using the linked-in passwords from their password breach.

Here's one I got seem to be the phishing flavour of 2018, get them occasionally, I have a 28 alphanumeric  random upper lowercase! Could be cracked in: 3.33* 10^ years (whatever that means, but is in 10's of millions of years, I use a password saver/generator)

https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6495540332z09916df218ebe8629343162648b82e4ez

Edited by petzl

On 10/23/2018 at 3:08 PM, Lking said:

CaLy think you for trying, however, you did not provide the correct link. If you look at the end of the URL you posted you will se "reportid=xxxxxxxxxx"  Looking at petzl's you will see "?id=...." followed by a long code; That is a Tracking URL The tracking URL is near the top of the screen when you report an email OR in the email you receive from SpamCop when you submit spam by email.

Sorry, i reported the last one well, i think.

4 hours ago, Lking said:

p.s. I can give you advice for the future. Do not enter your passwords on unsafe sites.

What a considerate spammer/blackmailer you have CaLy ?

While good advice if you must sign into "dodgy" sties use a throwaway email address with a different password! This spammer is attacking my SpamCop email address so like all spammers is lying. I never use my SpamCop email except to friends (whose computers have been hacked email addies scrapped)

On 10/25/2018 at 10:26 PM, petzl said:

While good advice if you must sign into "dodgy" sties use a throwaway email address with a different password! This spammer is attacking my SpamCop email address so like all spammers is lying. I never use my SpamCop email except to friends (whose computers have been hacked email addies scrapped)

I was thinking about that.

Anyway. The mail used in spamcop is the one to receive surveys from a company we work with my shop, prices list from that company where we work to sell in the shop, and few more i dont remember i will need to check and migrate to another place.

On 10/26/2018 at 12:26 PM, petzl said:

Hi Petzl, 

Can I ask for clarification please: "I never use my SpamCop email except... etc", does this mean you don't use your SpamCop email address for anything other than reporting spam emails to SpamCop or.... ? 

Sorry, but I'm confused, would like to shutdown as many scammers/spammers as possible & don't wish to be providing them with any info that enables them.

Thanks in advance. 

39 minutes ago, MIG said:

Hi Petzl, 

Can I ask for clarification please: "I never use my SpamCop email except... etc", does this mean you don't use your SpamCop email address for anything other than reporting spam emails to SpamCop or.... ? 

Sorry, but I'm confused, would like to shutdown as many scammers/spammers as possible & don't wish to be providing them with any info that enables them.

Thanks in advance. 

My SpamCop email address I have only given to friends.Some of these friends over the years have had their email address book stolen. So now I'm on a lot of spammers list. I report every spam I get, even having spammers sent to jail.

1 hour ago, petzl said:

My SpamCop email address I have only given to friends.Some of these friends over the years have had their email address book stolen. So now I'm on a lot of spammers list. I report every spam I get, even having spammers sent to jail.

Hello Petzel, thanks for replying, sorry but I' still unclear, what I'm trying to understand is "my (as in yours)SpamCop email address"; when I report spam to Spamcop I use the same email address that the spammers have sent their scummy emails to, so what I'm trying to work out is, do I/should I have an email address that is only for Spamcop? 

I too report every spam email & even tho I don't know of any ending up jailed I would not be sorry it that was the consequence (for them)!

Thanks again.

MIG, Petzel's situation may be a bit confusing.  In the past, SpamCop offered email accounts. This service was discontinued several years ago.  However, people like Petzel who has a SpamCop email account like "aname{AT}SpamCop{DOT}net," were able to retain those accounts.

So when Petzel said

3 hours ago, petzl said:

My SpamCop email address I have only given to friends.

He is talking about his old, abcde{AT}SpamCop{DOT}net email address, not (necessarily) his spam reporting account with SpamCop

3 hours ago, Lking said:

MIG, Petzel's situation may be a bit confusing.  In the past, SpamCop offered email accounts. This service was discontinued several years ago.  However, people like Petzel who has a SpamCop email account like "aname{AT}SpamCop{DOT}net," were able to retain those accounts.

So when Petzel said

He is talking about his old, abcde{AT}SpamCop{DOT}net email address, not (necessarily) his spam reporting account with SpamCop

Merci! Lking :) 

3 hours ago, lisati said:

I've received one or two similar emails. I'd go with the advice previously given, i.e. report them, and send them to the circular filing system (delete them).

Would it be a good idea to munge the password as most of those are probably unique and would be considered spammer identifiable information?

3 hours ago, Lking said:

Looking for something else I found this related link in the Lounge

I noticed one of my scams said something about the "alleged hacking" occurred around June 28th.  So good to know this has been going on since the other "thread" as far back as at least August.

Edited by gnarlymarley

• 2 weeks later...