captcha problem on registering

If you made it through the process using Safari, received your password email from SpamCop and then logged in using Safari (because of cookies) the account should be active.  You should then be able to go back to FF and use the account there.

• 1 year later...
On 2/21/2020 at 4:11 AM, guido.mazzone said:

I have the same problem, with both Chrome and Firefox, I also tried with two different IP addresses, so I'm almost sure it's not a problem caused by my computer or connection.

For Windows pays to download free version of Ccleaner   
Be warned it may need extra program to be unchecked (tries to load other software), no need to update (it is nag-ware) but your choice.
It will clean out all cookies, but you can select "options" to save needed cookies

Edited by petzl

I don't use Windows. I investigated a bit the JS code and there's an issue with the way the headers are generated for the AJAX calls that fetches the captcha picture.

Changing at line 18 of captcha.js the following

"Last-Modified": new Date(0), "If-Modified-Since": new Date(0)

to

"Last-Modified": (new Date(0)).toISOString(), "If-Modified-Since": (new Date(0)).toISOString()

fixes it. Otherwise you get a

"TypeError: Cannot convert string to ByteString because the character at index 50 has value 8217 which is greater than 255."

probably because without the toISOString method date contains UTF-8 characters instead of ASCII ones (which are required for HTTP headers).

11 hours ago, tcit said:

I don't use Windows. I investigated a bit the JS code and there's an issue with the way the headers are generated for the AJAX calls that fetches the captcha picture.

try to register in "Safe mode"?
Know nothing about Apple computers but others report their virus program/other software/even spyware interfering with Captcha

Edited by petzl

• 3 years later...

hi , been 3 days i'm trying to subscribe to spamcop without being able to display this bugged captcha ...

apparently this problem remains for years and been reported a lot of time ..  and not been solved .. i tried firefox , chrome, edge on windows 11 , on my phone i tried samsung internet browser , i tried duckduckgo browser , none being able to display this stu%@!#pid (lol) captcha .. i tried disabling antivirus , tried to restart safe mode , etc nothing working, i was starting to think to go dev mode (wtf) ...

but finally i thought about testing with safari with a virtualbox macos virtual machine and it worked (nope i won't waste money and buy a mac for this absurd subscribe form)... seriously this is ..i don't have the words to discribe how ridiculous this is and the time wasted

fyi subscribing to this forum is done in 1mn , seriously .. are you sure you want people to report spam ? this bugged captcha is not helping at all

Edited by laurent67x

On 3/4/2023 at 1:27 PM, laurent67x said:

i'm trying to subscribe to spamcop without being able to display this bugged captcha ...

apparently this problem remains for years and been reported a lot of time ..  and not been solved ..

seriously .. are you sure you want people to report spam ? this bugged captcha is not helping at all

I have the same doubt regarding the usefulness of spamcop reporting.

It's been 5 years already.

On 10/29/2018 at 7:01 PM, jcdoesnotlikespam said:

Hi all,

The Captcha is running, running always and does not appear so I cant' register.

Any help would be great, best regards

• 3 months later...

I just have solved with Edge Browser (Chromium Based) in Windows 10

using the option "reloading the page in Microsoft Internet Explorer mode"

the captcha image appeared and the registering process finally worked.

This is the easy solution for non expert users.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2023 at 11:01 PM, Anna said:

I just have solved with Edge Browser (Chromium Based) in Windows 10

using the option "reloading the page in Microsoft Internet Explorer mode"

the captcha image appeared and the registering process finally worked.

This is the easy solution for non expert users.

Thank you for this answer.
It effectively works, and I successfully created a (second) account that way.

And believed it or not, even having reported this, there are people here, you report this problem, you tell them that you tried your solution and that it works, they still don't want to believe it, nor even to try it.

(follow this link)

Edited by Gingko

On 7/8/2023 at 7:09 AM, Gingko said:

Thank you for this answer.
It effectively works, and I successfully created a (second) account that way.

And believed it or not, even having reported this, there are people here, you report this problem, you tell them that you tried your solution and that it works, they still don't want to believe it, nor even to try it.

(follow this link)

I was happy that after a lot of time and tryings I was finally able to register an account in the site,
and I perfectly understand the frustration for that non working captcha,
that's why I wanted to share here my simple workaround hoping it would help someone else.

Obviously, after having tried several different browsers with no positive outcome
and also after trying to follow this other solution which is for my skills a bit too complicate to execute correctly.

In the past I also tried to report the bug, follwing this link Help >> How can I contact a SpamCop representative?
but unfortunately even the reporting form is afflicted by the captcha issue, as you can seespamcop1.jpg

spamcop2.jpg

Also, a long time ago I sent an email to report the issue but I after an year I received no answers.

So I really doubt that the captcha will be ever fixed, but since this workaround worked and I finally registered an account I am glad for being of any help.

Edited by Anna
moved up images

I am using Mozilla Firefox, and haven't encountered the captcha problem.
here's what my "contact a spamcop representative" page looks like:

image.thumb.png.90ce21fae6e90fa565ff10fcf7ac4d41.png

captcha works for me, and clicking on the reload arrows (image.png.ce87f7c16cc6481f9ebf10d639c0f25c.png) for new captchas works as well and is pretty fast loading them.

Which system? Which version?
Seems to work on Linux, for example.

Anyway, the number of configuration cases where it doesn't work seems to be largely higher than the working cases.

You should ask yourself why.

It is the Spamcop responsibility to ensure it works in ALL (reasonably expectable) cases.
And it is NOT the responsibility of users to dig in the mud in order to find a working case for them.

Edited by Gingko

8 hours ago, RobiBue said:

I am using Mozilla Firefox, and haven't encountered the captcha problem.

Besides Edge, I am using Mozilla Firefox too, uptodate to the latest version

image.png.fc55a3bf554388241f095e12043b39d0.png

but unfortunately, the captcha still doesn't work for me in both pages

image.thumb.png.3d510cdf13615dfeb6744644595fb254.png

image.thumb.png.02a986ec1c3b2e0c2ead12f97da83409.png

Edited by Anna
deleted duplicated image

On 7/12/2023 at 1:27 PM, ninth said:

Try your luck at signal spam

I always report on Signal-spam along with Spamcop for a long time.

But …

Signal-spam is mostly a French centred organisation.

Are you telling me that the arrogant natural tendency of French people (I have French nationality) to believe that France is the center of the world is actually justified, at least about spam-fighting? 😁😃😂

• 1 month later...

Hi, I've faced this problem today as well, when trying to register.

@tcit's solution (modifying the bits related to headers in captcha.js) helped me.

I believe I know why not everyone faces the issue: as mentioned in @tcit's response, this problem only surfaces when an attempt to place non-ascii characters in the HTTP headers are made, and this doesn't happen to everyone. In my case, it happened because my browser locale, as well as my OS locale, are Lithuanian, so the following code:

new Date(0).toString()

(note: `toString()` was added by me here) produces the following response in the browser console:

Thu Jan 01 1970 03:00:00 GMT+0300 (Rytų Europos žiemos laikas)

Note how the name of the time zone is in Lithuanian and contains a couple accented letters.

Meanwhile, the code, as suggested by @tcit, looks like this:

new Date(0).toISOString() 

and produces the following output:

1970-01-01T00:00:00.000Z

I finally managed to register after adding a breakpoint in line 20 of `captcha.js` and running a modified `$.ajaxSetup()` call in browser console.

BTW, the problem happens in both Firefox and Chromium. I'm so surprised this has stayed unfixed for years...