AOL Blocks PopGate

[22:50 EST] Recently, AOL started blocking the method that we use to retrieve email from them. We're working on a solution, but if AOL is intentionally blocking us, it's possible that we won't be able to restore fetching mail from AOL addresses.

Sources:

http://webmail.spamcop.net/

https://webmail.spamcop.net/

http://mail.spamcop.net/news.php

[22:50 EST] Recently, AOL started blocking the method that we use to retrieve email from them. We're working on a solution, but if AOL is intentionally blocking us, it's possible that we won't be able to restore fetching mail from AOL addresses.

Sources:

http://webmail.spamcop.net/

https://webmail.spamcop.net/

http://mail.spamcop.net/news.php

19694[/snapback]

Hi:

On the Tech help line I got this response from an AOL Tech:

You say, I am not able to pop ANY of my AOL messages into Spamcop

TechLiveIRKH says, Please hold while I find this information.

You say, Spamcop says: Recently, AOL started blocking the method that we use to retrieve email from them.

You say, We're working on a solution, but if AOL is intentionally blocking us, it's possible that we won't be able to restore fetching mail from AOL addresses.

TechLiveIRKH says, Please ask the Spamcop to ask their system administrator to call the AOL Postmaster Hotline at 1-888-212-5537.

TechLiveIRKH says, The Postmaster Team, which is available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, can work with the ISP to quickly resolve the issue. Additional information is available at the AOL Postmaster Web Site: http://postmaster.info.aol.com/

Can we have someone contact them?

Thanks

Barb

It appears that JT has changed POP Configurations where the POP Server is "popgate.cesmail.net" and the Username includes "[at]aol.com" so that the Pop Server is now "imap.aol.com". This doesn't work for a number of reasons:

• imap.aol.com doesn't support POP3
  • mailgate.cesmail.net doesn't support IMAP

I can confirm that the information in Accessing the AOL Mail System using IMAP & Authenticated SMTP: An Unofficial Guide works for using your own client to bypass SpamCop's current inability to access your AOL Mail, with the following hints:

Username: don't include "[at]aol.com" for authentication

Password: use AOL password, not AIM password

IMAP: imap.aol.com on standard IMAP port 143; don't store special folders on server

SMTP: smtp.aol.com on SMTP MSA port 587 (not SMTP MTA port 25) using simple authentication

SpamCop Reporting Consideration: spam needs to be dragged, forwarded, or pasted to SpamCop.

Security Considerations:

• Email address in SMTP envelope (MAIL FROM sender) must mach AUTH username to avoid error "505 MAIL FROM sender and AUTH username do not match".
  • The AUTH username (fully uppercased with "[at]aol.com" appended), source IP Address, dns name of source IP Address, and HELO name used in the SMTP transaction are all recorded in the Received headers.

It appears that JT has changed POP Configurations where the POP Server is "popgate.cesmail.net" and the Username includes "[at]aol.com" so that the Pop Server is now "imap.aol.com".  This doesn't work for a number of reasons:

19790[/snapback]

Are you sure about that? I tested it with a couple of users and it appears to be fetching mail from a lot of accounts just fine.

JT

Are you sure about that? I tested it with a couple of users and it appears to be fetching mail from a lot of accounts just fine.

19819[/snapback]

I removed "[at]aol.com" from the Username and will report back on results.

It appears that JT has changed POP Configurations where the POP Server is "popgate.cesmail.net" and the Username includes "[at]aol.com" so that the Pop Server is now "imap.aol.com".  This doesn't work for a number of reasons:

19790[/snapback]

19819[/snapback]

Which "that" are you referring to, my experience, "imap.aol.com doesn't support POP3", or "mailgate.cesmail.net doesn't support IMAP"? Thanks.

19819[/snapback]

Which "that" are you referring to, my experience, "imap.aol.com doesn't support POP3", or "mailgate.cesmail.net doesn't support IMAP"? Thanks.

19828[/snapback]

It's working now for me. My assumption "mailgate.cesmail.net doesn't support IMAP" was incorrect. fetchmail-6.2.1 running on mailgate.cesmail.net does indeed support IMAP for fetching from AOL, but you need to remove "[at]aol.com" from your Username in your POP Configuration for your AOL account.

19819[/snapback]

19828[/snapback]

I was referring to the general "this doesn't work". We have, in fact, implemented a special system just for AOL. From testing and the logs, it appears to work exactly the way we set it up. Use imap.aol.com as the "POP" server. The full aol.com email address is working as a username. It's possible that only the left-hand side works, too, I haven't tested that.

JT

The full aol.com email address is working as a username. It's possible that only the left-hand side works, too, I haven't tested that.

19841[/snapback]

I have. It works for me with just the left hand side. It didn't work for me with the full address.

19828[/snapback]

I was referring to the general "this doesn't work". We have, in fact, implemented a special system just for AOL. From testing and the logs, it appears to work exactly the way we set it up. Use imap.aol.com as the "POP" server. The full aol.com email address is working as a username. It's possible that only the left-hand side works, too, I haven't tested that.

JT

19841[/snapback]

Unfortunately the reporting side of this doesn't work which is the whole reason to Pop the mail from AOL to begin with. My mail is poping fine now, but I can't report any of it. I get that weird error that tells me there isn't enough inforation in the headers after it starts to parse it. Is someone looking into this? Do I need to reset up the mailhost file?

Thanks

Barb

Barb,

You appear to be using a bastardized email client or header management system that is removing "Received: " from all Received Header Lines but the topmost. Exactly how did that Header get from your SpamCop Held Mail Folder to the SpamCop Parser? Thanks!

• 7 months later...
I just tested it both ways, with and without the "[at]aol.com" and both were working.

19863[/snapback]

I'm glad it's been working. Please note that it appears to be using SSL to talk IMAP4 to imap.cs.com, which is currently working much better than talking plain IMAP4 to imap.aol.com or imap.cs.com (the same server).

Archived