Lost POP mail?

I have a log of mail coming into my server, and being picked up by SPAMcop POP server, but it is not showing up in my Inbox, in Trash, or other folders. I know from the logs that SPAMcop is picking up the messages, but for some reason they are vanishing.

How do I track them from here? Is there a problem on the network?

This began 11/6 around noon, and my last message was 9:30 PM last night, although there are more messages out there!!

Thanks!

Same here, whatever the problems were yesterday seem to have gotten worse. I have received no email from my pop3 accounts for the last 4 hours.

This is a probably a time zone thing but is anyone up in the states?

JP

The last email POPped for me by mailgate.cesmail.net and actually delivered was very early this morning, "Mon, 08 Nov 2004 00:35:55 -0500 (EST)" (05:35:55 -0000 (UTC)), and it arrived in my mailbox five seconds later. That was nine hours ago. It is extremely unusual for me to go nine hours without a POPped email. In the meantime about a dozen emails have been forwarded to my SpamCop account, and have arrived successfully. Now, since the forwarded emails are arriving through mailgate as well, I am forced to conclude that the problem is with popgate or its method of getting mail into mailgate's outbound queue.

Yip, and no spam in my Held Mail either. Perhaps spam has stopped :lol:

Anyone know what is happenening? I changed my settings in spamcop to leave a copy of the mails on the server and now I can pull them directly from my other pop3 servers but still nothing appearing in spamcop even though it is fetching the email from the pop3 accounts.

JP

Right, I seem to be getting one or two emails through now, failures mostly and one or two spam messages into held mail as well. No sign of the last 8 hours email though? Is this happening to everyone? Have we last todays mail? It would seem unlikely since the spamcop server pulled it from the pop3 accounts, it had to go somewhere.

By the way I've only started posting to this forum today but I've been a very happy spamcop user for 12 months.

JP

Yip, and no spam in my Held Mail either.  Perhaps spam has stopped :lol:

Anyone know what is happenening?  I changed my settings in spamcop to leave a copy of the mails on the server and now I can pull them directly from my other pop3 servers but still nothing appearing in spamcop even though it is fetching the email from the pop3 accounts.

JP

19748[/snapback]

Yip, and no spam in my Held Mail either.  Perhaps spam has stopped :lol:

Anyone know what is happenening?  I changed my settings in spamcop to leave a copy of the mails on the server and now I can pull them directly from my other pop3 servers but still nothing appearing in spamcop even though it is fetching the email from the pop3 accounts.

JP

19748[/snapback]

Same here! I am now saving on my server so I can at least POP my mail from there. SC is collecting, deleting, and losing the mail! What's up? Who do we report it to?

It appears something happened at about 10:41 EST (15:41 -0000 UTC) and I've started getting mail popped by mailgate.

19755[/snapback]

I looked at my server, and I have 6 messages in my Inbox there. SC has sent 1 of the 6, and the others are nowhere to be found! They are not in the Held Mail or Trash folders, they just seem to have vanished!

So, I am getting some POP mail from SC, but it is 1 out of 6 this AM...Not good yet.

It appears something happened at about 10:41 EST (15:41 -0000 UTC) and I've started getting mail popped by mailgate.

Same here...a test message that had disappeared into the "void" between the target POP account and the cesmail.net account (which had clearly already grabbed it, but it wasn't in my cesmail Inbox) has appeared.

Time for some explanations....this isn't the only problem happening with cesmail (and cqmail) at the moment...there are still some serious issues with forwarding mail from other accounts.

DT

Just in from JT;

-=-=-=-=-=-

I've changed the internal handoff so that it no longer depends on DNS

working. This should fix the internal handoff problem entirely.

I'm still trying to figure out why name-services.com is handing out bogus

data occasionally.

Jeff

-=-=-=-=-=-

So have to make an assumption at this point that it's the "servers playing catch-up" right now.

I'm not able to resolve mail.spamcop.net to log in via POP3.  I can log in through the webmail just fine.  Is there a problem with the server?

I've been seeing this happen on and off today also, both via POP and IMAP.

Jeff...there are still problems!

DT

So have to make an assumption at this point that it's the "servers playing catch-up" right now.

No, I don't think so. Here's contrary evidence:

Sunday: something bad happens at the DNS host for cesmail.net, and soon, there are big problems with forwarded mail not reaching our cesmail boxes, because most of the hosts that are forwarding to us can't resolve the DNS. Webmail sent from those systems fails.

Sunday evening: JT checks in, and the DNS is looking OK. At this point, I was able to do lookups from remote systems and send webmail during this brief "resurrection" of the DNS, during which time many outside systems apparently "caught up."

Monday morning: Those same systems which "caught up" last night now don't know about "cesmail.net" again. Forwards are bouncing, webmail from outside sites is failing again.

So, this is "off, then on, then off" which doesn't sound like a brief DNS glitch followed by servers needing to catch up.

Wazoo...please send this to JT via backchannel. Stuff is still screwed up!

DT

Just to add what I'm seeing...

first my set up... mail to various accounts, all popped by spamcop

Yesterday a few mails I know were sent never arrived (from yahoo groups).

I didn't notice a problem until this morning... when I thought the problem was with one of the other accounts... I then discovered spamcop problems.

At about 1600 GMT today things seemed to get better... so I re-enabled the popping from the remote accounts.

Some mail has arrived... but some is still in the void.

Currently, I've turned off all popping, so that the mail isn't lost.

Fingers crossed the mail will arrive sometime...

Any updates on the situation appreciated.

Thanks,

Malcolm

It looks like a lot of mail got stuck - it could take a while to deliver it all.

19758[/snapback]

Same here. Emails positively sent to me yesterday (20 hours ago) was most possibly picked up by Spamcop and did not appear in my webmail at spamcop - neither in inbox nor in my held mail box.

A forum is probably not the correct place to quote the addresses of the senders, but they are available for further technical enquiries.

I have removed all retrieval of mail from external POP servers to my SpamCop account until this problem has been solved. I cannot have emails disappearing into nothingness!

:angry: I am totally unable to access e-mail from my spamcop account, either directly or via web mail. webmail.spamcop.net comes back with a reply that the site does not exist.

What is wrong?

19838[/snapback]

Please try to use dig or at least nslookup to duplicate the correct results, which are that Akamai's nameservers say webmail.spamcop.net is a CNAME for webmail.cesmail.net, which ZoneEdit's nameservers say has IP Address 216.154.195.51. If you get different results, please post them here in full. Thanks!

I am totally unable to access e-mail from my spamcop account, either directly or via web mail. webmail.spamcop.net comes back with a reply that the site does not exist.

What is wrong?

I can access it from my site with no problem but I have been experiencing NONE of the problems reported lately. Post responses and we may be able to tell you where your problem (and possibly others problems) are occurring.

1. What type of platfom are you using (so I know what tools are available). I will assume Windows for the following.

2. Try to "ping webmail.kopin.com" from the command prompt. The output should be similiar to:

C:\>ping webmail.spamcop.net

Pinging webmail.spamcop.net [216.154.195.51] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 216.154.195.51: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=46

Reply from 216.154.195.51: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=46

Reply from 216.154.195.51: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=46

Reply from 216.154.195.51: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=46

Ping statistics for 216.154.195.51:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 40ms, Maximum =  50ms, Average =  42ms

C:\>

3. Try to "tracert webmail.spamcop.net" from the command prompt. The output should be similiar format to:

C:\>tracert webmail.spamcop.net

Tracing route to webmail.spamcop.net [216.154.195.51]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <10 ms <10 ms    10 ms  cisco1-e0.kopin.com [192.168.1.1]

2 <10 ms <10 ms <10 ms  firewall-int.kopin.com [192.168.1.10]

3 <10 ms <10 ms    10 ms  cisco3-e0.kopin.com [199.79.137.33]

4    10 ms    10 ms    10 ms  ge5-0-0.MAR1.Cambridge-MA.us.xo.net [207.88.86.49]

5    10 ms    10 ms    20 ms  p5-1-0-1.RAR1.NYC-NY.us.xo.net [65.106.3.21]

6    10 ms    10 ms    20 ms  p0-0.IR1.NYC-NY.us.xo.net [65.106.3.38]

7    10 ms    10 ms    20 ms  iar3-so-2-1-0.NewYork.savvis.net [208.173.135.129]

8    10 ms    10 ms    10 ms  agr2-loopback.NewYork.savvis.net [206.24.194.102]

9    10 ms    10 ms    20 ms  dcr2-so-6-1-0.NewYork.savvis.net [206.24.207.181]

10    61 ms    60 ms    60 ms  dcr2-loopback.Atlanta.savvis.net [208.172.66.100]

11    60 ms    60 ms    60 ms  agr4-as0-0.Atlanta.savvis.net [208.172.67.54]

12    90 ms    60 ms    60 ms  acr2-loopback.Atlanta.savvis.net [208.172.66.62]

13    60 ms    60 ms    60 ms  itc-deltacom-communications-inc.Atlanta.savvis.net [208.172.65.170]

14    40 ms    50 ms    50 ms  pos3-0.suwangaeq00w.cr.deltacom.net [66.35.174.102]

15    50 ms    50 ms    50 ms  suw03.gig3-0.edeltacom.com [66.35.174.142]

16    40 ms    40 ms    50 ms  suwC1-gig3-7.edeltacom.com [216.154.207.17]

17    50 ms    50 ms    50 ms  suwE1N-gig1-1-4.edeltacom.com [216.154.207.22]

18    40 ms    50 ms    50 ms  webmail.spamcop.net [216.154.195.51]

Trace complete.

C:\>

I would suspect that any remaining mail that you were expecting but didn't get either was bounced or is being held at the sender's authorized SMTP Relay.

19829[/snapback]

OK, this mail was on an alternate e-mail account... spamcop popped it... yet it never arrived in Inbox or Held Mail.

New mails are working OK... but I have a black hole for most of yesterday...

Malcolm

Archived