Lost POP mail?

OK, this mail was on an alternate e-mail account... spamcop popped it... yet it never arrived in Inbox or Held Mail.

New mails are working OK... but I have a black hole for most of yesterday...

19866[/snapback]

If you feel like picking a fight, ask that alternate e-mail account's provider to restore the email deleted from that account yesterday. :)

If you feel like picking a fight, ask that alternate e-mail account's provider to restore the email deleted from that account yesterday. :)

19873[/snapback]

I don't want a fight... just an explanation...

And there is no backup of e-mails.

As it happens, I was able to view most of the "lost" mails before they were popped, as I put a stop on spamcop popping when I detected a problem... So I've seen the message, but I don't have the copy in my archive.

All I want to understand is where spamcop has put the mail it popped... ie how does it get into my Inbox or Held Mail folder ? Is it re-mailed by spamcop ? In which case I guess it could have been bounced... but I've seen no record of this - I sent various tests to myself, and yahoo groups records bounced messages.

Can JT explain what happens to mail after it is popped ? If the mail is lost it is frustrating, but not the end of the world.

Thanks,

Malcolm

All I want to understand is where spamcop has put the mail it popped... ie how does it get into my Inbox or Held Mail folder ? Is it re-mailed by spamcop ?

19882[/snapback]

Here is the flow as I understand it:
  • fetchmail-6.2.1 running on mailgate.cesmail.net (216.154.195.36) fetches your mail from your provider's mailserver on the Internet using POP3 or IMAP protocol, prepends a Received header, and sends it off to qmail running on mailgate.cesmail.net.
  • qmail running on mailgate.cesmail.net processes the message, prepends two Received headers, and sends it off to the Ironport AV scanner on mailgate.cesmail.net.
  • The Ironport AV Scanner on mailgate.cesmail.net scans the message for viruses, prepends evidence of its action, and sends the message off to c60.cesmail.net's 216.154.195.49 interface on the Internet.
  • c60.cesmail.net processes the message, prepends a Received header, and uses its 192.168.1.105 interface on Corporate Email Services' internal network to send it off to one of the blades numbered 1-6 (bladen.cesmail.net) on that internal network.
  • qmail running on one of the blades numbered 1-6 (bladen.cesmail.net) process the message, drops two Received headers, and either places it in your mailbox, presumably in a database on that internal network, or forwards it (depending on your preferences).
  • If the message is in your mailbox, it can then be accessed through mail.spamcop.net, which has IP Address 216.154.195.50 and multiple other names, and also via the Webmail and Reporting Systems.

Any of these actions that used to depend on DNS could have produced a bounce instead, but they should do so no longer because JT wrote that he had removed those dependencies.

I'm still being told about mails that didn't bounce and were picked up by spamcop but never made it to my inbox.

I'm assuming at this stage that they are simply lost somewhere.

By the way from this side of the pond we never had a problem accessing spamcops POP servers, just in case anyone is interested.

JP

• 4 weeks later...
POP mail hasn't picked any of my mail since 12/2.  I found the error when looking [at] the one account I can't easily mailforward.  An ideas why the POP isn't working... again?

Sorry, going to do it again ... your date makes it 5 days with no other complaints in that interim. Jeff G. monitors the spamcop.mail newsgroup, so he may show up sometime and talk about the hotbed of activity there ... but I keep hearing that this particular newsgroup is pretty much dead (not even pointed to anymore on the 'where to get help' pages) ... but I can tell you that the other three major newsgroups re read by me, and there are presently no existing complaints in them.

So the first suggestion might be to try re-setting that account from within your preferences/set-up .. going with that there was some sort of outage at that ISP, long enough that the SpamCop server took it off its list of items to check.

Sorry, going to do it again ... your date makes it 5 days with no other complaints in that interim.  Jeff G. monitors the spamcop.mail newsgroup, so he may show up sometime and talk about the hotbed of activity there ... but I keep hearing that this particular newsgroup is pretty much dead (not even pointed to anymore on the 'where to get help' pages) ... but I can tell you that the other three major newsgroups re read by me, and there are presently no existing complaints in them.

So the first suggestion might be to try re-setting that account from within your preferences/set-up .. going with that there was some sort of outage at that ISP, long enough that the SpamCop server took it off its list of items to check.

21042[/snapback]

Sorry.. the date I gave was wrong. I have mail still on my server from 11/27. I used the webmail client I have for my domain and found all my messages still on there. I went and reset the POP informatio in SCmail, but that was only about 5 minutes ago, so maybe it takes longer?

Sorry.. the date I gave was wrong.  I have mail still on my server from 11/27.  I used the webmail client I have for my domain and found all my messages still on there.  I went and reset the POP informatio in SCmail, but that was only about 5 minutes ago, so maybe it takes longer?

I'd have to go check also, but I think one of JeffF's FAQ entries points to the minimum of a half-hour cycle time, and one should add in the likelyhood of hitting that half-hour at just at the wrong time <g> ... So yeah, I'd say you're stuck waiting for at least an hour before hitting the next level ...

I'd have to go check also, but I think one of JeffF's FAQ entries points to the minimum of a half-hour cycle time, and one should add in the likelyhood of hitting that half-hour at just at the wrong time <g> ... So yeah, I'd say you're stuck waiting for at least an hour before hitting the next level ...

21044[/snapback]

No dice. it's 1 hour plus later and still not working.

OK, then based on what you said thus far, the next step is going to have to be hitting JT directly. You'll want to provide all the data you can so as to make it easier for him to go through the logs and find your failed / attempted connections to see if the evidence is there .. your account data to prove ownership, the domain / ISP in question, etc .... support <at> spamcop.net

Archived