To Report or Not Report

loafman

Basic question I've had for quite a while -- Is it better to report all spam, or better to report only the spam that gets by the SCBL?

I know there are two sides to this, so let the games begin! The winner is the one with the most support from SC itself.

Please report what you have time to report, given your circumstances. From an SC perspective, it's better for people such as yourself with limited time for reporting to give higher priority to the spam sources that are not already listed on the SCBL, because on average this will make more ISPs aware of more spam sources, and should lead to more spammy IP Addresses being listed by the SCBL. Thanks!

If only that which gets past the BL gets reported, then the next question wil be "Why does this IP keep showing up again, going on and off the BL every two days?" (see new post in Announcements)

One of the issues with reporting everything is just that, will reporting even blocked IPs keep the SCBL closed completely for an IP that is nearly constantly spewing, or that is going on and off trying to game the system?

If I understand things, the time of reporting does not matter, its just the time that the spam was sent (how determined? source Received line?). If I get something that's on the SCBL already, does that imply that the spam I just got was newer and would thus extend the SCBL, or is it possible that the SCBL updates have sped up enough to be near real time and my spam is not new enough to extend the SCBL enough to be worth the effort?

Make the assumption that I have time or resources sufficient to report everything that comes my way, whether blocked or not. Given that, is it still better to report, or not report?

• 3 months later...

how much time is suffiicient??? I have been reporting for FOUR YEARS and it hasn't helped MY spam level one bit! tell me again why I shoudl bother wasting my time doing this if it doesnt help me??? and OBTW, the same ISP's keep coming up (see the lounge thread "Is it really doing any good?, We keep reporting and reporting, but..."

tell me again why I shoudl bother wasting my time doing this if it doesnt help me???

One: those who use the spamcop bl are helped by reporting

Two: many of the reports, nowadays, inform people that they have an infected computer (it used to be that it educated people about proper mailing methods, but there is less and less of that since responsible people discover that on their own).

Three: If you are concerned about the same ISPs coming up again and again, then perhaps you want to escalate your involvement by encouraging your ISP to use blocklists or switch to one that does. Or volunteering to give classes to people on safe internet use of their email address or 'How to avoid spam' or write snail mail letters to the Chinese Embassy or in other ways, make public your conviction that if enough people complain, then solutions will be forthcoming.

Miss Betsy

Archived