We have two separate servers which forward mail to our main mail server. Whenever I report spam, one of the servers is listed as a possible relay, because it isn't the recipient mail server. So , I uncheck our relay and submit the spam. So, while logged in to spamcop, I went to the mailhosts tab to enter our configuration. It isn't REALLY an option since, I'm not forwarding e-mail from one account to another. Two questions, how can I enter/report our relay server to SPAMCOP, so it isn't seen as a possible open relay when I report spam, and does this make sense? :o

Enter (one of) your end point addresses and the mailhost process should flag it as a "complex configuration" and you will need to request a waiver.

If there is a way to force the message through both paths, do that, otherwise you should contact the deputies<at>spamcop.net address and explain your situation. Please mailhost in the subject line.

You will probably want to do the initial configuration (first paragraph here) first so the deputies have something to modify but don't report spam until all paths are accounted for.

PS. This should be moved to the mailhost forum

Define "we" .... are you one of the administrators? Can you stop the Forwarding action at any time?

Explain "I uncheck our relay and submit the spam" (Noting that the word "spam" is a Trademark of the Hormel Corporation) At this point of submitting your spam, I can't visualize an "uncheck our relay" option ...

Have you even looked at the Pinned items in this Forum?

Define "we" .... are you one of the administrators?  Can you stop the Forwarding action at any time?

We = my place of employment.

Yes, I am one of the administrators.

For our domain we have two equally preferred MX hosts located at different sites.  These forward mail to our GroupWise Internet Agent server.  There isn't a configuration problem, and I do not want to turn off forwarding.  What I want to know is the process by which I remove what I know to be a legitimate server from the reporting list, or do I just continue to uncheck the reporting box?

Explain "I uncheck our relay and submit the spam" (Noting that the word "spam" is a Trademark of the Hormel Corporation)  At this point of submitting your spam, I can't visualize an "uncheck our relay" option ...

As for spam being a trademark of the Hormel Corporation, in a lawsuit filed last year against SpamArrest, Hormel said they accept the use of the word spam referring to unsolicited bulk e-mail, but are concerned with other companies being issued trademarks on terms that contain the name.

When I submit a spam to spamcop under the Report spam to: section, there are little check boxes next to everyone you want the spam reported to.  Under that section is this:

Re: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (Automated open-relay testing system(s))

To: Internal spamcop handling: (relays) (Notes)

At the bottom of the spamcop page is this ATTENTION statement:

ATTENTION: Report only those e-mail addresses and web sites that you think your spammer has used. Avoid checking any boxes left empty unless you know that your spammer has used the addresses or sites thus identified. Each false report that you submit means wasted time for a network administrator, so take care. The last thing SpamCop wants are network administrators so accustomed to false claims that they no longer take these spam reports seriously

So I uncheck that box, because I do not want to report our relay server to the Automated open-relay testing system

Have you even looked at the Pinned items in this Forum?

20198[/snapback]

What I want to know is the process by which I remove what I know to be a legitimate server from the reporting list, or do I just continue to uncheck the reporting box?

This is one of the specific purposes for the mailhost configuration. You will tell the spamcop parser that these hosts are expected in your configuration. Did you folow my earlier suggestions?

This is one of the specific purposes for the mailhost configuration.  You will tell the spamcop parser that these hosts are expected in your configuration.  Did you folow my earlier suggestions?

20229[/snapback]

Sorry, my post was a direct reply to Wazoo. I am currently acting on your post. Thank you for all your help.

<snip>(Noting that the word "spam" is a Trademark of the Hormel Corporation) <snip>

20198[/snapback]

As for spam being a trademark of the Hormel Corporation, in a lawsuit filed last year against SpamArrest, Hormel said they accept the use of the word spam referring to unsolicited bulk e-mail, but are concerned with other companies being issued trademarks on terms that contain the name.

20227[/snapback]

...That's right, Hormel accepts the use of the word "spam" but not "spam." Please see See spam and the Internet, especially the third paragraph. :) <g>

Archived