Lycos Europe's awful new idea

Guest art101

While white-hats bicker and talk at cross purposes, spammers continue to rape the net.

I am sorry that you got your feelings hurt. I didn't see any sign of bickering in Wazoo's post. When one is being critical of a certain behavior, one needs to be scrupulous about being squeaky clean - and definition is half the battle. If Wazoo had thought you were deliberately publishing your website to 'make people aware of it', he would have made it clear that you are not welcome here. Instead he made a comment about an obviously 'peculiar' post, not in keeping with the other posts in the topic.

Miss Betsy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
spam is an economic not technological phenomenon; it is a trademark of a selfish and grab-happy elite and would-be elite. As such the solutions - most definitely not to confront evil with evil - must be social and economic.

FWIW, I'm in your camp.

...they admit their strategy is to 'catch' harvesters then 'report' them to authorities (if anyone knows whether this operation stretches beyond the FTC in the US, I'd like to know), who have already shown (e.g. by the opt-out environment of CANSPAM) that they are not up to the task.

21128[/snapback]

Here's a couple more useful spam reporting addresses, other than spam[at]uce.gov (the new FTC reporting address, which replaced the old uce[at]ftc.gov last year):

• webcomplaints[at]ora.fda.gov to report spammers offering drugs (under their US brand names) to the Food and Drug Administration. They'll be interested irrespective of whether you or not or the "supplier" are based in the USA, whether or not the drugs actually exist, etc.
  • enforcement[at]sec.gov for reporting stock-pumping scams (insider tips, recommendations, etc.) to the Securities and Exchange Commission, those stalwart defenders of capitalism.

Hope these help! Meanwhile, I'll get back to running a furtive Project Honeypot, a customised SpamItBack, a deeply personal spam Vampire... and mourning the loss of MakeLoveNotSpam. (I loved the way that ran as a screen saver... more fun than Avast! anti-virus scanning... it'd be great if SpamItBack could do the same).

Cheers, Nick

<snip>

Here's a couple more useful spam reporting addresses, other than spam[at]uce.gov (the new FTC reporting address, which replaced the old uce[at]ftc.gov last year):

• webcomplaints[at]ora.fda.gov to report spammers offering drugs (under their US brand names) to the Food and Drug Administration. They'll be interested irrespective of whether you or not or the "supplier" are based in the USA, whether or not the drugs actually exist, etc.
  • enforcement[at]sec.gov for reporting stock-pumping scams (insider tips, recommendations, etc.) to the Securities and Exchange Commission, those stalwart defenders of capitalism.

<snip>

21555[/snapback]

...These and many others are available at Marjolein's Ban spam page, which is referenced in these Fora's FAQ.

...These and many others are available at Marjolein's Ban spam page, which is referenced in these Fora's FAQ.

21638[/snapback]

Well, "up to a point, Lord Copper." Marjolein's fine page still lists uce[at]ftc.gov, which has been dead for quite a while now. And many of the reporting addresses there aren't "authorities" (which was what the OP was after) -- they're useful, but they're not what was wanted.

Cheers, Nick

21638[/snapback]

Well, "up to a point, Lord Copper." Marjolein's fine page still lists uce[at]ftc.gov, which has been dead for quite a while now. And many of the reporting addresses there aren't "authorities" (which was what the OP was after) -- they're useful, but they're not what was wanted.

Cheers, Nick

21642[/snapback]

...Whew, it's good I didn't represent Marjolein's list as "authorities," isn't it? :) <g>

...Note that Marjolein's web page has (or, at least, used to have -- I haven't visited, lately) a link to provide feedback to her.

Well, "up to a point, Lord Copper." Marjolein's fine page still lists uce[at]ftc.gov, which has been dead for quite a while now.

My dialog with a few folks there foesn't back that up. As a matter of fact, I reverted to the old address after several week-ends (over a number of months) of bounces to the 'new' address. For some reason, the 'new' system is having some teething issues.

And many of the reporting addresses there aren't "authorities" (which was what the OP was after) -- they're useful, but they're not what was wanted.

That the list suggested includes "more than waht was requested" seems like a bit of a silly gripe. To repeat the phrasing of the suggested bit of help ........These and many others are available at....

Archived