Need clarification

Jimemac

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z697522514z4c...5c6ee79f0e4439z

I got a false positive today (no biggie, it happens sometimes) What I can't figure out is why? I only use spamcop's blacklist on my email server as a spam filter, and this one was blocked(filtered) on the server. No text lookups, no Bayesian (sp?) filters are used. Also this message is a few days old, but I also got another one from the same person that was also rejected at around 12:30 eastern time today (about a half hour ago).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jime

the spamcop blocklist looks at IP addresses, not whether or not it is spam in content. What it means is that your 'false positive' email is coming from a server that also has been sending spam. That does not mean that the person the email is from is sending spam, but that someone using the same IP address (server) has been sending spam.

The best thing to do is to tell your friend that his email provider is listed in the spamcop blocklist and have hir contact his provider with the information. If it is a whitehat provider, they will correct the problem quickly. If it is a blackhat provider, if you are serious about spam control, you will tell your friend to get another way of emailing. Otherwise, you can whitelist that address.

Miss Betsy

Sorry, I needed to add a bit more info that my post. The reason I was asking why is because I didn't see either of those IP's in Spamcop's blacklist. And I know that its a real time list and gets removed at any time. However one of the emails that was filtered was sent within 30 minutes of me checking to see if they (the IP's) were on the blacklist, which they weren't.

Seeing from Merlyn's post that they are listed else where leads me to believe that maybe they were listed and the 48 hour expiration happened within that half hour. I don't see a listing history though.

Anyways I just whitelisted the IP's and everything is beautiful now. Just goes to show that Spamcop is right when they say to use them as a filter and not a blocker.

Thanks for your replies.

Jime

Archived