What kind of mail software is Jeff using?

mrmaxx

And there are apparently known issues with some mail server software (Courier) that has been causing a lot of dupe messages. Funny thing is they are ONLY on one mailing list and the list admin swears it's not him, but I've got like 4 or 5 messages which keep coming in like clockwork 3 or 4 copies of each at a time.

I've since changed the delivery address for that list and the only thing in common now, besides my mail client is SpamCop's mail server. And the mailing list server. Others on the list swear they haven't seen any dupes in days. So that leads me to believe it MIGHT possibly be the SpamCop server.

Was going to answer with the "obvious" .. HORDE/IMP .. then realized that this wasn't the actual answer ... I don't have a clue, though one could make an easy assumption at a SendMail thing ...

On the other hand ... is there anything at all different in the multiple copies received? For instance, are they showing date/time stamps so far apart on one of the servers handling the e-mail? Are they really duplicates or re-transmittals due to some failure? Not sure if any connection, but what's the connection mode to the SpamCop e-mail server .. IMAP, POP, Forward etc.?

I'm thinking that actually what's needed is an e-mail to JT directly, with enough data to pinpoint acounts, servers, and times of these so he can take a look at the log files. support <at> spamcop.net

Well, mail *was* getting POP-ed from one of my other accounts. However, I changed the delivery address for that mailing list so it comes directly to my SpamCop account. I download my mail from SpamCop via IMAP most of the time (unless I'm having a problem of some sort... KMail was barfing when I had lots of mail to download so I'd have to POP it, but that appears to be resolved.)

As for the timestamps, at least the date/time shown in the message list is *exactly* the same. I know that the list admin has stated he was having problems delivering mail to Postini, where it would *appear* to time out but was actually delivered. In an attempt to eliminate that, I changed the delivery address to SpamCop since Postini (as far as I know) is only involved as far as my one email address on my ISP is concerned.

Guess I'll ask JT if he's running Courier. If he is, that might be the answer. Personally, I'm just asking to try and rule OUT SpamCop mail as the problem. :-)

telnet to imap.spamcop.net gives:

* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THR

AD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE STARTTLS] Courier-IMAP ready. Copyright 1998-2003 Double Precision, Inc. See COPYING for distribution information.

So your guess of Courier is correct.

Archived