Yahoo! Mailservers Blocklisted

Jeff S

Well, that kind of sucks. Can I expect the same kind of SpamCop BL from a new msn or gmail account?? I appreciate any cyber industry that attempts to reduce spam, but isn't there any refinement youse guys can make that keeps me from getting tarred with the same brush as the spammers using yahoo servers? My new yahoo addy is clean as a whistle, I am a responsible netizen, and my mother-in-law thinks I'm a nice young man. I am going to look like a real jerk if I have to re-email everybody that my organization has ANOTHER new addy because Yahoo servers are corrupted with spammers.

Sorry for whining, but, dagnabit, my 21st Century expectations are not being met.

Hmmmm, I moved your 'new' Topic into just the most recently used 'Yahoo blocked' discussion with the thoughts that you'd take the time to actually look at some of the prrevious dialog .... I was under the impression that you really did want to know what was going on ..????

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<snip>

Well, that kind of sucks. Can I expect the same kind of SpamCop BL from a new msn or gmail account?? I appreciate any cyber industry that attempts to reduce spam, but isn't there any refinement youse guys can make that keeps me from getting tarred with the same brush as the spammers using yahoo servers? My new yahoo addy is clean as a whistle, I am a responsible netizen, and my mother-in-law thinks I'm a nice young man. I am going to look like a real jerk if I have to re-email everybody that my organization has ANOTHER new addy because Yahoo servers are corrupted with spammers.

Sorry for whining, but, dagnabit, my 21st Century expectations are not being met.

Respectfully,

...First, we SpamCop users have no control over that. Second, we would not want to introduce such a refinement as you suggest because we want you (and your follow Yahoo, MSN and GMail e-mail users) to be responsible for the provider you select and ask the provider to clean up its act if it allows spam to spew through its servers or leave the provider if it is not responsive to such requests. You are the only one(s) who have the leverage; if they are not providing the service for which you signed up (having your e-mails delivered to your addressees), then do what you would do with the provider of any other service who is not meeting your expectations.

...Good luck!

<snip> But my expectation is that you will find yourself suffering again since this is a shared SMTP mail server.

You may want to make alternative arrangements for outgoing Email.

Andrew

Respectfully,

Why bother with spamalot? Does your connection providor not give you an email address? <advert> For $30 per year you can get the ONLY email address you'll ever need, get wonderful spam-filtering and become part of the 'solution' by reporting spam and keeping the blocklist up-to-date. I refer, of course, to the SpamCop email system. </advert>

Can I expect the same kind of SpamCop BL from a new msn or gmail account??

Well some services are better than others. Certainly Gmail and Hotmail do suffer but Yahoo! seems to be significantly worse.

I appreciate any cyber industry that attempts to reduce spam, but isn't there any refinement youse guys can make that keeps me from getting tarred with the same brush as the spammers using yahoo servers?

Sadly, we are simply users of the system so we have no influence other than as users. At the same time, bear in mind that hundreds (maybe thousands) of ISPs implement the SCBL because it keeps their systems clean and spam free.

My new yahoo addy is clean as a whistle, I am a responsible netizen, and my mother-in-law thinks I'm a nice young man. I am going to look like a real jerk if I have to re-email everybody that my organization has ANOTHER new addy because Yahoo servers are corrupted with spammers.

But there are many ISPs that will assume that you are sharing space with spammers and using a service such as Yahoo! for your organisation may not give the impression you wish. You may not spam but a great deal of your neighbours are filling your community post box with junk and it is easier to for these ISps to throw out your one or two good messages with the thousands of junk ones.

Andrew

Well, Wazoo, I DID read the previous posts, and I DO want to know what's going on. What I gathered from the postings is that the SpamCop service cannot differentiate between a legitimate e-mail sender and a spammer because it relies on the IP address of a mail server to determine "spaminess" (a word I just made up-I think) rather than the IP of the sender's machine, or the history of a particular addy. So be it.

I had no idea that Yahoo! servers were so badly compromised. Someone alert the press :excl: If I did I would never opened an e-mail account with them. And, I had no idea SpamCop even existed until I started sending e-mail through Yahoo! 3 days ago. I guess I was caught off-guard as my msn and hotmail accounts have NEVER triggered a black listing in years and years of use. I apologize if I inadvertently offended any of you marvelous geeks/nerds who live, eat and breathe this stuff. The rest of us newbies, casual users and people who just want to send out a freakin' e-mail are in your debt for your diligence.

I am now going to cancel my Yahoo! account and tell them it is because they cannot control spamming through their servers and that is adversely affecting how I do business.

I appreciate all the insight your group has given me on this issue.

Well, Wazoo, I DID read the previous posts, and I DO want to know what's going on. What I gathered from the postings is that the SpamCop service cannot differentiate between a legitimate e-mail sender and a spammer because it relies on the IP address of a mail server to determine "spaminess"

Unfortunately, the injecting IP address is the ONLY thing in the headers that can not be forged by the spammers. If it were possible to use a less 'blunt instrument' then SpamCop (and the dozens of other blocklists) would. In the end it comes down to economics and the law of the 'market'. Accepting spam from dirty servers costs the receiver a lot of money. Some ISPs choose to reject all mail from a listed server for this reason, throwing out the occasional baby with the deluge of bathwater. SpamCop doesn't recommend this and doesn't do it for its own customers, preferring to put them in 'held mail'. In the end, it's a case of their server, their rules. :rolleyes:

<snip>What I gathered from the postings is that the SpamCop service cannot differentiate between a legitimate e-mail sender and a spammer because it relies on the IP address of a mail server to determine "spaminess" (a word I just made up-I think) rather than the IP of the sender's machine, or the history of a particular addy.

<snip>

...As far as I am aware, SpamCop makes no claim as to "legitimate-ness" or the "spaminess" of an individual e-mail or the sender thereof. All it does related to spam identification is to provide a blacklist that is populated by applying an algorithm to determine what IP addresses seem to be sources of more than incidental quantities of spam. In other words, it does not try to "differentiate between a legitimate e-mail sender and a spammer...."

<snip> But my expectation is that you will find yourself suffering again since this is a shared SMTP mail server.

You may want to make alternative arrangements for outgoing Email.

Andrew

Respectfully,

I would not think that you would look like a real jerk, but someone who could educate a lot of people that yahoo is not a responsible netizen like you are.

Responsible netizens do not patronize email service providers who do not play nicely with others.

If you want to be in the 21st Century, then learn something about why blocking is the way to control spam on the internet and why all responsible server admins use it. It not only controls spam to the users, but also preserves the unique character of the internet.

Miss Betsy

I guess I was caught off-guard as my msn and hotmail accounts have NEVER triggered a black listing in years and years of use. I apologize if I inadvertently offended any of you marvelous geeks/nerds who live, eat and breathe this stuff. The rest of us newbies, casual users and people who just want to send out a freakin' e-mail are in your debt for your diligence.

I am now going to cancel my Yahoo! account and tell them it is because they cannot control spamming through their servers and that is adversely affecting how I do business.

And I'm sorry that we couldn't offer a cleaner solution. Since you've successfully used MSN/Hotmail previously I'd think there should be no reason why you shouldn't successfully use them in the future.

Andrew

I had no idea that Yahoo! servers were so badly compromised. Someone alert the press :excl: If I did I would never opened an e-mail account with them. And, I had no idea SpamCop even existed until I started sending e-mail through Yahoo! 3 days ago. I guess I was caught off-guard as my msn and hotmail accounts have NEVER triggered a black listing in years and years of use. I apologize if I inadvertently offended any of you marvelous geeks/nerds who live, eat and breathe this stuff. The rest of us newbies, casual users and people who just want to send out a freakin' e-mail are in your debt for your diligence.

I appreciate all the insight your group has given me on this issue.

You are welcome!

And you are proof that 21st Century people, even end users, /can/ understand how email works!

Thank you for telling Yahoo what you think.

Miss Betsy

• 5 months later...

Fished out of PMs. Several days with no response, maybe my reply unseen, unread, maybe something for others to garner - if only that a PM to a moderator is not the preferred way to handle general issues, for a number of reasons. Date/Time +0800

can you tell me how to find where and who this number came from . You have this number on one of your posts --- <snip>

IP 66.196.101.17

<snip>

You can always get the reporting address for an IP from the SpamCop lookup, in this case http://www.spamcop.net/sc?track=66.196.101.17 (from page http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml, enter IP address, then select the "Trace IP" link) - which gives the answer network-abuse[at]cc.yahoo-inc.com ( use [at] in place of [at]). The post you quote - http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=51887 - was in a topic about Yahoo servers so that will not surprise you.

<snip>

Continue the discussion in the forum if you like (we like to keep it public so that everyone can learn about this stuff and the more people who see it, the better chance you have of getting all the information).

Archived