Yahoo! Mailservers Blocklisted

Jeff S

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I have to wait for Yahoo to resolve this problem?  I wonder how long that will take.

41255[/snapback]

Well, you can keep retrying, as I don't think all of Yahoo!'s mailservers are listed by the SCBL. Report History for 66.218.95.71 shows about 11-20 incidents, all spamtrap hits. Yahoo! needs to invest lots more time and money in policing its systems and users.

Hello

When 1 persons yahoo e-mail account becomes blocked with SpamCop, does that also mean that every single person who also uses a Yahoo e-mail account is also blocked by SpamCop? :blink: OMG!!!

It seems to me that you KNOW that there are many of us who are not spammers who use Yahoo, how could you possibly allow all of us to be blocked by your company? You should have tools at work that prevent this from happening.

What are yahoo users supposed to do if this is our main e-mail account?

I'll include the failure notice notes, but I'm removing my own e-mail account from this message because I don't care to have it posted over any web site that can be scanned for e-mail addresses.

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.

I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following

addresses.

This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<**my friend I was trying to e-mail to>:

Connected to 69.13.92.177 but sender was rejected.

Remote host said: 550 5.7.1 <**my e-mail address>... no access

from[66.218.95.71],see http://www.spamcop.net/

<**another of my friends I was trying to e-mail to>:

Connected to 69.13.92.177 but sender was rejected.

Remote host said: 550 5.7.1 <**my e-mail address>... no access

from[66.218.95.71],see http://www.spamcop.net/

<**a guy that had just sent me and e-mail and I was replying to him>:

69.26.210.210 does not like recipient.

Remote host said: 550 5.7.1 66.218.95.71 has been blocked by spamcop

Giving up on 69.26.210.210.

--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

Return-Path: <**my e-mail address>

Received: (qmail 91920 invoked by uid 60001); 11 Mar 2006 22:34:05

DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws;

s=s1024; d=yahoo.com;

hehe, good question...

I dont have one yet. I'm starting a new product for my church out here in Wisconsin, and will most likely be recieving a new e-mail account with them soon. I'm contacting a company out in California regarding this new product, and also attempting to take care of other church business, and my own church has apparently asked SpamCop to block e-mails from Yahoo IP's? Is that how this works?

I'm about to be hired for a few jobs actually. I guess I need to ask them to get me my own e-mail address pronto.

Question, the automatic system, this is not just for one company right? People sign up with SpamCop to have your spam filtering services. If an IP is automatically blocked by your company, that is done for all companies that pay for your services. How can you allow it to block Yahoo when so many people rely on it for valid e-mails? That seems like a sure fire way to get hundreds of thousands of people kinda upset.

One of the pages in here says that even if our private or company IP is blocked we still should be able to use a web based e-mail, such as Yahoo or Hotmail, but now Yahoo is blocked. I've had at least 3-4 of my e-mails bounced back to me through the course of this day. Well, of course I will resend them, but how long will the bounces continue.

Also, is this really yahoo's problem, should I be contacting them (and oh I dread that, what a nightmare) or are there things your company can do to help out us Yahoo users?

Thank you for your help and explainations. This is my first contact with this company. ;) I'm just trying to make sure I'm not considered a spammer by my own church, lol. That would be bad.

Quote...

Uhhhhh, no you can't!  It is my yahoo account that is being blocked in fact, so now what?

I am another yahoo e-mail user who can't use my e-mail account to contact a few companies actually.  I'm working this morning also, and I can't even communicate via e-mail to the people I need to communicate with.

41253[/snapback]

If you must use a free email account I recommend (presently) HotMail, which have reliable, properly configured email servers.

SAMPLE OF A SPAMCOP TRACK WITH A COMPETENTLY SET-UP SERVER This lists only the IP SOURCE OF spam which is my Computer not my ISP's email server

For a paid email service you cannot go past a SpamCop Email account

Do not just accept the email account a "provider" forces upon you

hmm, what is a 'spam trap'? I guess I need to go reading more FAQ.

BTW, I actually HAVE sent out at least 11- possibly 20 e-mails today. But it is work, not spam. I'm working on a project, and many people are involved in it.

If you must use a free email account I recommend (presently) HotMail, which have reliable, properly configured email servers.

cool, we got a hot topic here ;)

well, see.. I do pay for my yahoo account, I upgraded it for the disposible e-mail address feature because I had a previous account that was hyjacked by some idiot virus and they were using my old e-mail address as the return address for their stinking virus distribution. (I have bad luck with e-mail I guess).

I also am totally in love with Yahoo Calender, and Yahoo Address Book, and Yahoo Briefcase... so really, I'm pretty invested in this particular e-mail account already.

but thanks for the suggestions.

ok, this is pretty funny to me actually, but could I possibly be the spammer they are trying to stop? I'm not evil, I promise you that.

But, someone mentioned "spam trap" in the other thread, and yes, I have sent out at least 20 e-mails today, but they went out to my family members, my friends, my future work contact, and also my pastors at my church.

hmmmmm, could I be this spammer they are trying to put a stop to?

Well, you can keep retrying, as I don't think all of Yahoo!'s mailservers are listed by the SCBL. Report History for 66.218.95.71 shows about 11-20 incidents, all spamtrap hits. Yahoo! needs to invest lots more time and money in policing its systems and users.

Actually, seriously, I don't think I SHOULD keep trying.... the more I try the more they are going to block me, adding more spamtrap hits to my IP history I guess.

*sigh* I guess I do need a new e-mail account if I'm going to use it to work with.

Actually, seriously, I don't think I SHOULD keep trying.... the more I try the more they are going to block me, adding more spamtrap hits to my IP history I guess.

41270[/snapback]

Nope, if you're not sending spam you are not going to add to the "history" of your IP and you're certainly not sending to spam traps while you're trying to talk to your project contributors (yes, read up on the FAQs, by all means). Personally, I think the so-called "directors" of Yahoo should be hunted down with hounds and flayed alive with shards of glass, but concede it probably is more productive to stick with the process of encouraging them to lift their game. Complain, long loud and bitterly.

cool, we got a hot topic here ;)

well, see.. I do pay for my yahoo account, I upgraded it for the disposible e-mail address feature because I had a previous account that was hyjacked by some idiot virus and they were using my old e-mail address as the return address for their stinking virus distribution.  (I have bad luck with e-mail I guess).

I also am totally in love with Yahoo Calender, and Yahoo Address Book, and Yahoo Briefcase...   so really, I'm pretty invested in this particular e-mail account already.

but thanks for the suggestions.

41268[/snapback]

I have no doubt a paid for anything has punter attraction

So far you tell me you "upgraded" to a paid for Yahoo account because they were spamming you or at least allowing you to be spammed?

And you like the paid for version because it does a lot of things except reliably send email. Of course you do not see the email Yahoo defines as spam and deletes (false positives)? This is common now on many email addresses.

The experts in email security, delivery and reliabilty, with zero email lost. Is, as I said before a SpamCop Email Account

A spam trap email address have around 17 random characters (or more) as an email Addy

eg. !wZwW1-55f*dYyDo0O[at]sipcap.nat

this is greater than bank security for guessing (above 128 bit security) These are addresses picked up by "spam spiders" who scan websites newsgroups for email addresses. Trojans/Zombies on ones computers also continually scan for email addresses ones computer comes in contact with as well (Along with bank details, passwords, home addresses, credit card numbers, blackmail, when you are not home and when you are)

lol, how about if I just quote you while I inquire about the problem with Yahoo directly? Think that will do any good? I'll even include your name if you want.... like

"Farelf thinks you should be hunted down with hounds and flayed alive with shards of glass...."

I think I will begin my complaining tomorrow if the situation is not improved by then. Anyway, thanks for your comments and information, this was ... interesting for me ;)

oh Petzl, me and yahoo had a really really great relationship with my new upgraded account, that is up until today when I got a few returned e-mails.

With my new account and the spam control features I actually have zero spam to speak of, and I have disposible e-mail addresses just in case some stupid company tries to sell my e-mail account to the stupid people who buy e-mail addresses so they can e-mail their stupid adds for their stupid garbage.

I'm one of you!! I hate spam too! ;)

It wasn't Yahoo that hyjacked my e-mail acccount, it was a virus that was using my e-mail address as the return address while it distributed it's e-mails from a whole different computer. And it probably got my prior e-mail address from one of those stupid companies I wrote about above.

I'm too scared to use outlook express or any other computer based e-mail program because of the ability hackers have of controlling and infecting your own computer even.

It's true I dont know much about hotmail.

And, ya, I'd agree that Yahoo does need to do something about it's spammers.

Spamming should be a jailable offence!

Death to the spammers! (that is as long as no one considers ME a spammer)

41275[/snapback]

that is up until today when I got a few returned e-mails.

The SCBL blocks spam as it is being sent not after. Releasing that IP when the spamming stops.

For a Mail servers IP to be blocked means that the mail server is incompetently set-up and not stamping the IP of a individuals computer SpamCop would send a great many abuse reports before blocking a email server (this is happening with Yahoo often for over 12 months)

An example of a competently set-up Mail server which point to the computer it cam from (My Computer, not HotMail's email server) http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1087964718z872b4575be82457c32c974068e18a468z

actually have zero spam to speak of
Do you see the email Yahoo deletes and how much is legitimate email. SpamCop Email sorts all email to Inbox and accurately to "probable" spam folder. This is then effortlessly checked by you then at click of mouse reported. All reported spam is added to a count in the SCBL

it was a virus that was using my e-mail address as the return address while it distributed it's e-mails from a whole different computer

The SCBL would of stopped them as they were being sent not after

I'm too scared to use outlook express or any other computer based e-mail program because of the ability hackers have of controlling and infecting your own computer even.

Just read my Signature, this should give a best defence

It's true I dont know much about hotmail.

Spamming should be a jail-able offence!

Hotmail do go after spammers and regularly take them to court for jail and compensation

When 1 persons yahoo e-mail account becomes blocked with SpamCop, does that also mean that every single person who also uses a Yahoo e-mail account is also blocked by SpamCop?  :blink: OMG!!! 

41259[/snapback]

Block lists only work on he IP address of the machine sending the mail. Spamcop uses a percentage of spam to good mail. When that line is crossed, the mail server gets listed.

It seems to me that you KNOW that there are many of us who are not spammers who use Yahoo, how could you possibly allow all of us to be blocked by your company?  You should have tools at work that prevent this from happening.

41259[/snapback]

Everything other than the IP address is provided by the sender, and therefore easily forged. The IP address is the olny piece of information to successfully use to stop receivng messages from servers that spam. We know it is a large hammer but spamcop itself suggests using its list only to tag spam. Administrators of mail servers are free to accept or reject any mail for any reason however, it is their property.

What are yahoo users supposed to do if this is our main e-mail account?

41259[/snapback]

You need to contact Yahoo support and complain that you are not getting the service you are paying for (yes I know these are usually free accounts...)

P.S. Who moved this topic while I was composing this great reply ;)

goodmorning

Petzl, thanks for that info, I'm going to use it to respond to yahoo when that time comes.

I'll answer some of your questions though..

Do you see the email Yahoo deletes and how much is legitimate email. SpamCop Email sorts all email to Inbox and accurately to "probable" spam folder. This is then effortlessly checked by you then at click of mouse reported. All reported spam is added to a count in the SCBL

yes, I have a "Bulk" e-mail folder and if anything is suspected spam it goes in there. I can view it, and there are links that are automatically inserted into the header asking me to report the spam, or to also report it as not spam. If I do not view it, about a month later e-mails will be moved to the trash folder. But even so, I've been pretty careful with my new e-mail account now, and I will never ever post it on-line anywhere.

Also for each company I do business with I can create a disposible e-mail address, example: JoShmo-SpamCop[at]yahoo.com or JoShmo-Ebay[at]yahoo.com. (not real accounts) In this example the JoShmo part is my special account code (though it is not my REAL account) and then I can have up to 500 other e-mail addresses (that would be the name of the company following the -) that all can be recieved by my main e-mail account. If a company has sold my e-mail address to another company, guess what... I can see WHO it was that sold my e-mail address and I can then choose to NOT do business with them in the future.

I'm still pleased with Yahoo as a whole. I'd have to admit that you guys have taken alot of heat, and most likely will continue to do so... why? Well, because it really is YOUR product that is preventing our legitimate e-mails from reaching their intended destinations.

People won't be mad at Yahoo, they are going to be upset with YOUR company. So, really, you guys do also need to be a part of the solution here. Perhaps you could go to Yahoo and work with them? Find a solution for both companies. If you can come up with a working partnership, perhaps there might even be a bit of cash in it for you. You guys are the experts. Find a way to make it work.

I'm still pleased with Yahoo as a whole.  I'd have to admit that you guys have taken alot of heat, and most likely will continue to do so... why?  Well, because it really is YOUR product that is preventing our legitimate e-mails from reaching their intended destinations.

41291[/snapback]

You may have missed the information at the top of each page that states:

This is a User to User Support Forum

The primary mode of support here is peer-to-peer, meaning users helping other users. (please remember this at all times!)

None of us here in this thread are involved with spamcop other than being happy customers of their various services. There are a couple of deputies (spamcop employees) that poke in here now and again to straighten out things we can't, but not very often.

Also, it is the receiving side using the spamcop product that is actually doing the blocking, against spamcops reccomendation. As stated before, the spamcop BL is simply a list of IP addresses that have had recent spam reports againts them. Administrators can use that information any way they like.

Archived