Yahoo! Mailservers Blocklisted

Jeff S

I'm still pleased with Yahoo as a whole.  I'd have to admit that you guys have taken alot of heat, and most likely will continue to do so... why?  Well, because it really is YOUR product that is preventing our legitimate e-mails from reaching their intended destinations.

People won't be mad at Yahoo, they are going to be upset with YOUR company. 

41291[/snapback]

I'm in Sydney Australia nothing a but a user of SpamCop

The SCBL is created by SpamCop members every-time they report spam.

This acts as a radar and stops spam, self posting virus's etc, as they are being sent not after.

It is meant for sorting spam from your inbox to your "bulk" folder.

With SpamCop email *ALL* spam is not only blocked it is also reported causing it to be held if an ISP does not respond to abuse reports

A great many ISP's know it is the most accurate and best blocklist to use, so do so (often not as recommended)

SpamCop sends abuse reports for all spam recieved as soon as it arrives only blocking after ISP has been made aware.

In the case of a mail server yahoo would get a great many before their mail servers would be blocked.

They simply do not seem to react to abuse reports. (Not quick enough anyhow)

I doubt if they will react to your concerns either I doubt if in most cases they even get read.

Yahoo seem comfortable in having their servers mis-configured as to not stamping the IP source. this conceals their spammers. This I believe is deliberatly done so that known spammers can spam

There are a great many blocklists aside from SpamCop's

Hiding known spammers, as well as spam friendly countries like Brazil China IP's makes them ineffective forcing other blocklists to include Yahoo's and also Gmail's (who also conceal the source IP)

These Blocklists are extremly hard to get off. SpamCop releases the IP when the spammng stops

Many ISP's do not inform you your mail is being bit binned. Microsoft, AOL, etc they have their own blocklist and do not inform who is on it. Because spammers use false reply addresses many ISP's no longer bounce and just bit-bin (I have a free Yahoo account also and do not see anything in their "bulk" folder which l have set to be bit-binned automaticaly as a great many users do)

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
P.S.  Who moved this topic while I was composing this great reply ;)

41281[/snapback]

I did in one of those brief moments .. came in, saw two "new" Topics on Yahoo blockage, merged both Topics into this monster.

Due to the discussion in the last few pages, I am renaming this Topic from "Yahoo Groups Blacklisted" to "Yahoo! Mailservers Blocklisted".

41287[/snapback]

Also, you might want to sticky this thread.  Just a suggestion.

41292[/snapback]

And both of these comments made me ask myself .... "What about the existing FAQ entry here?" ... which then led to looking it up myself and seeing that the FAQ entry points to yet another Topic/Discussion .... so added another note to myself about changing that Yahoo FAQ entry to reflect a couple of "Yahoo blocked" Topics .... seeing as how the single entry doesn't seem to have enough attention-grabbing power ....

And this from one of the seemingly non-existent Deputies posting in one of the newsgroups ....

Newsgroups: spamcop

Subject: Re: Sigh... New way of sending spam...

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 00:48:09 -0600

Organization: SpamCop

Lines: 23

Message-ID: <dv34j3$noh$1[at]news.spamcop.net>

caroljean52 wrote:

> Just got a 419 spam that was sent by using Yahoo's Announce Address. I've

> used Yahoo for years and never noticed that particular feature. (Is that

> just because it's not something I would ever use--or is it because it's new?

> I'm guessing new since I can't believe spammers wouldn't have exploited it

> earlier if it had been available.) Looks like the spammer could just import

> his address list and then send out these announcements. It would be a little

> labor intensive but hey, Yahoo popped this thing straight into my Inbox so a

> lot more messages would actually get through.

>

> At any rate, this is the first time I've ever seen spam sent as an address

> change message. Unfortunately, I'm sure it won't be the last...

>

> Carol

This has been going on for about a week now.  It's causing Yahoo's

servers all over the world to be bl'd because the mail comes from their

IP with no earlier received lines.  We've had quite the mail load this

weekend over these, but we're holding firm that Yahoo is responsible and

will have to solve the matter to get their servers delisted.

Richard

This has been going on for about a week now.  It's causing Yahoo's

servers all over the world to be bl'd because the mail comes from their

IP with no earlier received lines.  We've had quite the mail load this

weekend over these, but we're holding firm that Yahoo is responsible and

will have to solve the matter to get their servers delisted.

I agree.

This is the first time I have encountered this to this extent, today also my e-mails are being bounced back to me. So it's not just an isolated incident.

And it's making me re-think my loyalty to yahoo e-mail. And I'll have to let them know that. I do hope that all yahoo e-mail users who are getting these 'bounced' messages will follow the link to spam cop and find their way to the forums and read this thread, so we can all go at them in numbers to convince them that they need to do something about this.

I hate spammers.

OK, I am trying to send email to my District Manager on Yahoo. I can send on my personal email account from Yahoo, but not the Yahoo address I use for my business. HHHHEEELLLPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is the entire rejection email from Spamcop:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.

I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following

addresses.

This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<brandon.cobb[at]penske.com>:

Connected to 216.34.191.52 but sender was rejected.

Remote host said: 553 5.3.0 spam blocked see:

http://spamcop.net/bl.shtml?209.191.87.59

--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

Return-Path: <boxkingsteve[at]yahoo.com>

Received: (qmail 40716 invoked by uid 60001); 17 Mar 2006 01:04:48

DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws;

s=s1024; d=yahoo.com;

h=Message-ID:Received:Date:From:Subject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding;

b=uC1TgPWzOcyFv8+6pLB4Cjzoe7Ag7MMMc2EgIH6M+skKjS0Pt+Al6wM/0z4yYAR0

1OUFm5iA3FcUYhrkLfxyNVmnhFn2x/srDG3q4ZSkSiBASXp7VrXZ3GPmPGnAOfT0XA

qLcQu3N6khUsip4FCo2lE6pAKioMY0ccd1rQ41csY=

;

Message-ID: <20060317010447.40714.qmail[at]web37406.mail.mud.yahoo.com>

Received: from [71.65.85.28] by web37406.mail.mud.yahoo.com via HTTP;

Thu, 16 Mar 2006 17:04:47 PST

Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 17:04:47 -0800 (PST)

Subject: Check # 2

To: Brandon Cobb <brandon.cobb[at]penske.com>

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: multipart/alternative;

boundary="0-1448052527-1142557487=:38378"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

--0-1448052527-1142557487=:38378

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1

Hey Brandon,

Checking without a reply.

Thanks,

Steve Dick

Box King

Custom Packing & Shipping - Penske Truck Rental

1063 N. Bechtle Avenue

Springfield, Ohio 45504

Ph. 937-322-8117 - Fax 937-322-4707

---------------------------------

Yahoo! Mail

Bring photos to life! New PhotoMail makes sharing a breeze.

--0-1448052527-1142557487=:38378

Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1

<div>Hey Brandon, </div> <div> </div> <div>Checking without a

reply.</div> <div> </div> <div>Thanks, </div><BR><BR>Steve

Dick<br>Box King <br>Custom Packing & Shipping - Penske Truck

Rental<br>1063 N. Bechtle Avenue<br>Springfield, Ohio 45504<br>Ph. 937-322-8117 -

Fax 937-322-4707<p>

<hr size=1>Yahoo! Mail<br>

Bring photos to life! <a

href="http://pa.yahoo.com/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=39174/*http://photomail.mail.yahoo.com">New

PhotoMail </a> makes sharing a breeze.

--0-1448052527-1142557487=:38378--

Moderator edit: broke up a long line of data to fix the display ... merged this "new" Topic into an existing Discussion .. PM sent to advise of the move/merge ...

First off, spamcop does not actually block anything, they simply provide a list of IP addresses that are known sources of spam to any ISP that wants it. It is up to that ISP to use that list to either filter email, as spamcop recommends, or block it entirely, which is not recommended by spamcop.

Yahoo! is notorious for responding slowly to spam problems originating from their servers, so they have a tendancy to get them listed on a regular basis. Currently the IP address that you provided, 209.191.87.59, is NOT listed on the SCBL, however, it appears that it probably was at an earlier time.

Spamcop is completely automated. When spam is reported coming from a server, that server is added to the list of "spammy" IP addresses, and any ISP using the list to block emails, will block email from that source. Once there are no more spam reports for a 24 hour period, the IP address is automatically removed from the list.

You can try complaining to Yahoo! about not dealing with spam problems, and allowing their servers to be listed, but previous experience has shown that they really don't care, and will blame spamcop, and/or the receiving ISP for the problem.

My recommendation would be to get an email provider with a clue that can provide you with reliable email delivery, and is proactive in dealing with spam problems to prevent listing on the SCBL and other blocklists.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a handful of Yahoo email accounts that I use to communicate on behalf of my clients.

Recently I have had untold problems with emails being bounced back by SpamCop, leading me to believe that these email addresses had been listed as spam.

From reading the forums here, and having a good knowledge of mailservers, it is clear that the SpamCop client software automatically blocks Yahoo mailservers, and it is up to the end user to configure it to allow Yahoo mail through.

This is absolutely unacceptable, and the support given here to achieve this is over most people's heads.

SpamCop has caused myself and my clients nothing but hassle, and I now have a standard email that I send to any address that has bounced back my mails, recommending that they uninstall SpamCop.

As a techie, I have now started to get support calls regarding SpamCop, customers asking why they aren't getting mails.

This software in my professional opinion is absolute rubbish, the database lacks any kind of integrity whatsoever, the support given here achieves little, and the communication problems it incurrs are beyond a joke.

Spamcop is now starting to cost me money with the amount of time I have to now spend chasing up lost and bounced emails, reconfiguring people's PCs so that they can receive emails.

Uninstall it, and go and use something else.

Recently I have had untold problems with emails being bounced back by SpamCop, leading me to believe that these email addresses had been listed as spam.

From reading the forums here, and having a good knowledge of mailservers, it is clear that the SpamCop client software automatically blocks Yahoo mailservers, and it is up to the end user to configure it to allow Yahoo mail through.

SpamCop has caused myself and my clients nothing but hassle, and I now have a standard email that I send to any address that has bounced back my mails, recommending that they uninstall SpamCop.

This software in my professional opinion is absolute rubbish, the database lacks any kind of integrity whatsoever, the support given here achieves little, and the communication problems it incurrs are beyond a joke.

41843[/snapback]

Welcome to the forum, I haven't had such a good laugh in ages.

SpamCop blocks nothing, is not software to be installed or uninstalled. As you claim to be professional (someone actually pays you to be so ignorant?) why not read the FAQ and come back with an informed opinion. At the moment you are wrong on all points.

I have a handful of Yahoo email accounts that I use to communicate on behalf of my clients.

41843[/snapback]

That is not a good business model to use a free email service to run a business. Why not use your business account email? You are at the mercy of the other people sharing the same email srvers as you, even the spammers. Email is not a guranteed medium of communication these days with all the spam on the internet.

41843[/snapback]

Email addresses are not listed as spam, only the server IP addresses of the sending machines.

41843[/snapback]

Evidently you did not read enough or you didn't understand what you read. There is no client software. Whoever you sent your email to is using the Spamcop blocklist to refuse mail from servers that have been reported for sending spam. Your knowledge is not as good as you think it is.

This is absolutely unacceptable, and the support given here to achieve this is over most people's heads.

41843[/snapback]

Including yours as you have no idea of what is going on.

41843[/snapback]

That will be very hard as they have no software installed.

As a techie, I have now started to get support calls regarding SpamCop, customers asking why they aren't getting mails.

41843[/snapback]

No offense but if you are a techie then we have much worse to look for than spam.

41843[/snapback]

What software?

Spamcop is now starting to cost me money with the amount of time I have to now spend chasing up lost and bounced emails, reconfiguring people's PCs so that they can receive emails.

41843[/snapback]

This is quite ridiculous! What are you uninstalling? There IS NO software! You are probably screwing up every computer you come in contact with.

41843[/snapback]

Some people know so little and they know it so fluently.

I'm almost disappointed... I got halfway through the original post, and was SURE we were leading up to a cartooney... We haven't seen a good one in weeks...

Anyway, back on the subject at hand...

Simey, Yahoo! mailserver are regularly listed on the spamcop blocklist because Yahoo! refuses to configure them using current best practices for mailservers, specifically, they should be listing the source IP address of the message in the headers, which would allow spamcop to block the source IP (i.e. the IP address of the person using Yahoo!) rather than the mailservers IP.

Unfortunately, this is not something Yahoo! is likely to change anytime in the near future. However, as brought up by another poster, Yahoo! is for personal email accounts, and is not recommended for businesses. If email is absolutely critical to you, then you should strongly consider running your own dedicated mailserver, that way if it gets listed for some reason, you can fix the problem and get it removed quickly, rather than waiting for tech support for a free service to get around to fixing it.

As far as support for spamcop goes, you can try email deputies[at]admin.spamcop.net, but don't expect much help with your rant (in fact, if your email is as much of a rant as your post, I wouldn't expect a reply at all). Had you read the FAQs, or the "Read Here Before Posting" topic, you would realize that these forums are USERS of spamcops helping other USERS and are not official support.

SpamCop client software

41843[/snapback]

What "SpamCop client software"? You must be referring to spamcop.com or spamcop.org client software, because AFAIK there is no working "SpamCop client software" distributed by this domain spamcop.net.

Also, I am merging your Topic "All Yahoo mails blocked by default?" with the existing Topic Yahoo! Mailservers Blocklisted. Please read from the first post - you might learn something.

It is no more over people's heads than the kind of support that they get from their automobile mechanic. Some people are so ignorant of common maintenance problems that they actually throw away tires that go flat. Others take more interest in what happens under the hood and may even be able to change the oil themselves. That's the bell curve.

Someone who owns a fleet of business vehicles either is a mechanic or hires one.

Miss Betsy

<snip bluster>

41843[/snapback]

Looks like a post-and-run. No balls as well as no brains.

It is too bad that there is no way to get Yahoo to comply.

As an ISP I really enjoy the benefits of SpamCop. And I realize Yahoo is to blame in this situation, but in the end having even a small percentage of customers hollering at me because they can't get mail from people on Yahoo just isn't worth it :) It is rather absurd to tell people that it's Yahoo's fault and sorry you just won't be able to receive email from anyone with a yahoo account...

Anyways, the solution for me is to just set up the 'ol MTA to not use the RBL for Yahoo's MX servers. Can still continue to use SpamCop for everything else.

I am assuming tons of people have attempted to contact Yahoo about this problem. Obviously that has made no difference. Is there any solution? Do we need to find someone who personally knows the CTO at Yahoo? :)

It is too bad that there is no way to get Yahoo to comply.

41975[/snapback]

I don't need Yahoo to comply

I also don't need or want mail from yahoo at all in fact yahoo is a good domain to add to blacklist

Facts are a great many of today's users are "novice" or "naive" users who sheepishly take the

"free" email account from provider

never keep windows updated

never use firewall

never use a virus program

And never will

These are the bunnies that Yahoo target

Just to add to this, I've started receiving bounces from YahooGroups (all of which have been reported) due to an attempt to email a moderated group. The problem is that Yahoo is using the (faked) return address rather than identifying the real source of the spam, so this is likely to be another cause of future listings.

Just to add to this, I've started receiving bounces from YahooGroups (all of which have been reported) due to an attempt to email a moderated group. The problem is that Yahoo is using the (faked) return address rather than identifying the real source of the spam, so this is likely to be another cause of future listings.

42061[/snapback]

You should not be reporting messages destined for a moderated mailing list unless you are the moderator of that list. Your complaint should go to the moderator. In a way, you signed up to receive anything sent to that address.

You should not be reporting messages destined for a moderated mailing list unless you are the moderator of that list.  Your complaint should go to the moderator.  In a way, you signed up to receive anything sent to that address.

42065[/snapback]

I didn't sign up for anything and have nothing to do with the groups in question - they are receiving mail from a spammer that is listing my address as the sender (a Joe Job). As such, these misdirected bounces are spam themselves and reportable under SpamCop's Rules.

I didn't sign up for anything and have nothing to do with the groups in question - they are receiving mail from a spammer that is listing my address as the sender (a Joe Job). As such, these misdirected bounces are spam themselves and reportable under SpamCop's Rules.

42067[/snapback]

You are correct. I misunderstood your problem. Thanks for clearing that up.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I cannot send emails to my wife because apparently the ISP that hosts her business email account uses SpamCop, and it is blocking Yahoo's mail servers and rejecting the emails.

I have sent these to Yahoo who says "it's not our fault!" and post a link to the Spamcop FAQ which says there is no way to have your server removed from the blacklist.

Here is what I receive:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.

I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following

addresses.

This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<[my wife's email address]>:

67.15.211.103 does not like recipient.

Remote host said: 550-rejected because 209.191.124.128 is blacklisted

at bl.spamcop.net

550 Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?209.191.124.128

Giving up on 67.15.211.103.

--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

Every single day this happens. I think this policy is ridiculous. Millions of people use Yahoo; why blacklist the email server that passes the emails through? Shouldn't the individuals' IP addresses be blacklisted? This is causing great headaches and is probably causing my wife customers as well. Is the ISP doing something wrong by bouncing all of these emails?

Every single day this happens. I think this policy is ridiculous. Millions of people use Yahoo; why blacklist the email server that passes the emails through? Shouldn't the individuals' IP addresses be blacklisted? This is causing great headaches and is probably causing my wife customers as well. Is the ISP doing something wrong by bouncing all of these emails?

Even with the chamged default settings of "number of Topics per page" .. I'm seeing 10 pages of discussion material. Yet the question asked here is exactly what has caused most of the discussion.

Yes, the ISP does wrong, as evidenced by the few posts made immediately prior to yours.

Yes, blocking an output server that is shared by so many is something bad, yet ... that's the way Yahoo has their stuff cofigured. Complain to Yahoo, as yes, it is their issue.

Your e-mail problem .. what's wrong with your hosting ISP's e-mail server, for instance?

Or, one could try to resend in the hopes that the next attempt will leave a different Yahoo server that's not on a list somewhere ..????

the Spamcop FAQ which says there is no way to have your server removed from the blacklist.

That's not true at all .... even the current listing for the IP address you offered shows:

209.191.124.128 listed in bl.spamcop.net (127.0.0.2)

If there are no reports of ongoing objectionable email from this system it will be delisted automatically in approximately 18 hours

Yes, blocking an output server that is shared by so many is something bad, yet ... that's the way Yahoo has their stuff cofigured. Complain to Yahoo, as yes, it is their issue.

I have done so... we'll see if it helps. Doubtful.

Your e-mail problem .. what's wrong with your hosting ISP's e-mail server, for instance?

My wife emails me at Yahoo, I try to reply and the messages fail.

That's not true at all .... even the current listing for the IP address you offered shows:

I know that the blocking expires after awhile, but this problem basically comes back every single day.

I have done so... we'll see if it helps. Doubtful.

My wife emails me at Yahoo, I try to reply and the messages fail.

I know that the blocking expires after awhile, but this problem basically comes back every single day.

And, unfortunately, until something is done to correct the problem, it will continue to do so.

There are 2 things Yahoo could do to fix this problem permanently.

Clean up outgoing mail, which is a difficult matter and not likely to happen.

Or, add a received: line with the senders IP address. This is they way it SHOULD be configured, as this would allow spamcop to list the originating IP address instead of the Yahoo! server.

As long as Yahoo! sticks with the "Its not our fault" attitude and doesn't make any attempt to fix it, they will continue to have problems.

Archived