Online SC Parser, "z_User_Notification (User defined recipient)"

ANGEL

For security reasons you can not link to the page of personal preferences.  For others with a SpamCop.net account ANGEL is talking about the <Preferences> tab, "Report Handling Options" on spamcop.net

I think the simplest answer to why a restriction on how many copies "of every spam you submit " would be to limit the required outgoing bandwidth.  Take a look at <Statistics> tab, Total spam report volume Currently there is something like 600,000 reports being sent in 24hrs.

Sending all reports to a third party could open SpamCop to charges of abuse clogging the email system.  Reading into your question, I too want to report spam to multi activities. To do this when I submit spam I also address my email to several US gov actives and a group in Australia.

4 hours ago, Lking said:

For security reasons you can not link to the page of personal preferences.  For others with a SpamCop.net account ANGEL is talking about the <Preferences> tab, "Report Handling Options" on spamcop.net

I think the simplest answer to why a restriction on how many copies "of every spam you submit " would be to limit the required outgoing bandwidth.  Take a look at <Statistics> tab, Total spam report volume Currently there is something like 600,000 reports being sent in 24hrs.

Sending all reports to a third party could open SpamCop to charges of abuse clogging the email system.  Reading into your question, I too want to report spam to multi activities. To do this when I submit spam I also address my email to several US gov actives and a group in Australia.

Hey Lking,

Thank you for answering.

Sometimes I find it difficult to write posts in a way that clearly define the issue/s...

Not wishing/suggesting or desiring to link to adding another address to [personal preferences][Personal copies of outgoing reports] page, just put that in there so possible convo participants were clear about which [User_Notification (User defined recipient)] field I was referring to.

Pre-defined in preferences (User defined recipient)= Bcc to reporter of spam =  (me)

Online Parser, more of these fields: ✔️z_User_Notification (User defined recipient)✔️ = field I can add another email address or more to before I hit "send"....

Re [Sending all reports to a third party could open SpamCop to charges of abuse clogging the email system] I hear you; I certainly do not wish to be  counterproductive to SC in any way, it is by far & away the most effect tool I've used to reduce spam. 

The reason I'd like to do "reporting to other interested parties" is, the parser mungs my email address; I learnt some brill info from Robibue & you to I think, to perform a  little pre-SC-Parser-submission-surgery: find & manually mung every instance of my email address the spammer has used, being fairly new to "fighting back" I initially though the parser would automatically do this...

I'm not so comfortable forwarding original spam to ALL other parties I think would like to know/should know the spammer is using ; always concerned I'll give my email address to a spammer or source for spammers...

Re [I also address my email to several US gov actives and a group in Australia} I do this to, as in "forward" original spam to ACMA & FTC... If there are additional "gov agencies" I'd be keen to add them to my tool kit: would you mind kindly sharing the addresses/info of the authorities you report to please?

Cheers.

42 minutes ago, ANGEL said:

Online Parser, more of these fields: ✔️z_User_Notification (User defined recipient)✔️ = field I can add another email address or more to before I hit "send"....

Are you referring to the " Re: User Notification " check-box and email entry box on the reporting spam page?  I was miss lead by the link to the preference page.

SpamCop.net screen layout and options is a legacy from "before time" so I am guessing a bit about the function/reason for these options, but: 

• In the beginning many users/contributors to SpamCop wanted to do some analysis of the spam they received, wanting to take advantage of the power of the parser tool. So to receive a copy of the spam Report without revealing (perhaps another) email address the "handling option" to send oneself a Bcc copy of the report was added.
  • As the problem of spam started to grow after May of 1978, many individuals/groups started studding the "phenomenon". Most of these studies did not have the email analytical power the parser developed, but were interested in analyzing the results (using their skills with "large" database searches).  SpamCop users would hear about and want to support (supply data) to these studies; Thus the " Public standard report recipients" handling option
  • As you may have notices, many SpamCop users do analysis of the source of the spam they receive and want to send report to destinations other than/ in addition to those identified by the parser.  This is facilitated by the " Re: User Notification " check-box on the spam reporting page.
  • As an aside this user analysis/review/validation also explains why the destination(s) for spam Reports have check-boxes so the user can un-check where spam Reports are sent
1 hour ago, ANGEL said:

I'm not so comfortable forwarding original spam to

I understand why people have this concern.  However, I have been using the same main email address sense March of 1996. I have given the email address to an uncounted number of companies/web sites etc over the years.  Without any pre-filters active that address gets maybe 20 spam a day. When I checked this morning there were 15 new spam.  These all are simply filtered out and reported with a single "submit" email.  On the other hand, my domain received ~120 spam daily addressed to random (some obscene) mailboxes. These are even more easily filtered for reporting.

My point is the spammers have my mailbox/domain.  Sending un munged spam Reports is not going to give anyone any new information, except (if they read them) the knowledge that I report their spam. Only once in this time have I identifiably been the target of retaliation. After two days all went back to normal.

On 1/31/2019 at 11:51 AM, Lking said:

Are you referring to the " Re: User Notification " check-box and email entry box on the reporting spam page?  I was miss lead by the link to the preference page.

Hello Lking,
Thank you for your comprehensive response &  I'm sorry for the late reply.

Yes. I was trying to circumvent anyone getting confused, given there's 2 "User Notification" fields, ended up confusing you, big fail me!  

Re [SpamCop.net screen layout and options is a legacy from "before time"],  I like [SC.net/parser format]: it works & is very functional without a lot of unnecessary bells & whistles.

Re [In the beginning [analysis][Bcc copy of report was added], I'm glad, I like this and combined with all the SCF information/help & tips & tricks, I've finally been able to get on top of endless spam floods.

Re [many SpamCop users do analysis of the source of the spam they receive and want to send report to destinations other than/ in addition to those identified by the parser] Their analysis methodology/work/results has been hugely beneficial for me.

Re [user can un-check where spam Reports are sent] I'm not clear why a user would choose to un-check a check-box that SC has defined, speaking for myself, I trust SC to know better than me... 

Re [forwarding original spam to ALL other parties] you & other SCF members have guided me on this before, I do get it, I just get cranky with scum.

Re [Only once in this time have I identifiably been the target of retaliation] The irony for me was, after 20 yrs of endless spam I stumbled onto SC, after a mth I hit a week with NO spam, initially, I thought they're may have been something wrong with my mail, then miffed, there's a certain satisfaction seeing the parser pump out its results & hitting "Send spam Report/s Now":)

Thanks again. 

Archived