Jump to content
dr_bobbs

How do I get Hotmail to reveal the full, unmodified email?

Recommended Posts

I used to be able to get Hotmail to reveal the full, unmodified email, but not any more.

I checked SpamCop help on

"How do I get my email program to reveal the full, unmodified email?" at https://members.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/19.html

and clicked on "Hotmail and Windows Live Hotmail" to go to https://members.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/22.html

Step #1 says "First, configure your options:
On the upper right "Options | Help" links, click on "Options." Click on the "Mail Display Settings" link, find the item "Message Headers." Choose "Advanced" and click the "OK" button."

but I cannot find any of the links mentioned, so this "help" is totally useless.

So I have no idea what to do. I've been using SpamCop for decades, but I cannot use it any more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been using IMAP with hotmail for about two decades to get this, but in the current setup, you have the three dots in the upper right corner.  Click those and then you should see "message source".  It should pop up in the window for you with the source.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not a Hotmail user, but the most current information I see in a search is:

Advice on viewing/copying the "message source" in hotmail

Assume you are using the web interface in a browser vs a mail app like Thunderbird as suggested above by gnarlymarley

Yes it is difficult keep advice updates to reflect ever changing applications. sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lking said:

I am not a Hotmail user, but the most current information I see in a search is:

Advice on viewing/copying the "message source" in hotmail

Assume you are using the web interface in a browser vs a mail app like Thunderbird as suggested above by gnarlymarley

Seems Microsoft have "fixed" the outlook headers like only Microsoft can!
https://ibb.co/pw2Dt6g

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, petzl said:

Seems Microsoft have "fixed" the outlook headers like only Microsoft can!
https://ibb.co/pw2Dt6g

Hey Petzel, meant to post this last time I struck this, got sidetracked; whenever I go to one of these urls https://ibb.co/xxx I get the following: refer to images. I thought perhaps my fw may be blocking so bypassed, still same result. 

What should be displayed?

If I'm asking a dumb question please forgive me, I'm only a grass🦗hopper.

Thanks in advance!

image.thumb.png.592298fc058882a681f6b4dad81b91aa.png

 

 

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes an oldie goldie

Quote

image.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MIG said:

What should be displayed?

Might be settings in your browser?

1 hour ago, Lking said:

Yes an oldie goldie

Thought it might not be working till you got it. Suddenly had a Microsoft Pointyhead attack with a VPN I use.

Microsoft has decided to give Window Defender a "Microsoft mind of is own" then you have to undo everything its changed
Then when installing a program you have to do some needless leaps and jumps.

Windows Defender has a "ransomware" protection added
Open "all settings" then in search bar put
"Controlled folder access" turn it  off 
After instillation turn it on I guess (I have)
Then check what folders are blocked
"Protected folders" any of your software you use remove from list.

 
Edited by petzl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lking said:

Yes an oldie goldie

 

Master, have some compassion! No matter how dumb grass🦗hoppers questions are, they're oftentimes posted with some trepidation, wary of being squashed by a misplaced sole, however they're always "fair-dinkum!"

At least grass🦗hoppers knows now😃!

🙏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot to mention that I already tried "View message source" in Hotmail, and copying and pasting that.

That used to work, but now SpamCop replies with this:

"Sorry, SpamCop has encountered errors:
Headers mangled

It appears that the sample you provided has been altered.  Often, extra
line-breaks are inserted by your software in an invalid format.  Part of
the reason for this proceedure is to ensure that you and your software are 
submitting spam in an error-free format.  Please review the relevant FAQ 
for your software and ensure you are following a proceedure which returns 
intact spam content to SpamCop.

In this sample, the problem was found near the line:
via BYAPR04CA0031.NAMPRD04.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM; Fri, 15 Feb 2019 18:33:43 +0000"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried searching for "Controlled folder access" in settings, but it doesn't come up with anything.

Edited by dr_bobbs
duplicate entry by mistake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, petzl said:

Might be settings in your browser?

Hi Petzel, Browsers, multiple: Firefox, GooChome, Brave, Opera, SeaMonkey.

Windows Defender, I use an AV Security product that overides most of WD, except, WD Threat Definitions regularly updates.
Real Time Protection if off, unable to turn on, just trying as admin, will post back.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, dr_bobbs said:

I forgot to mention that I already tried "View message source" in Hotmail, and copying and pasting that.

That used to work, but now SpamCop replies with this:

"Sorry, SpamCop has encountered errors:
Headers mangled

It appears that the sample you provided has been altered.  Often, extra
line-breaks are inserted by your software in an invalid format.  Part of
the reason for this proceedure is to ensure that you and your software are 
submitting spam in an error-free format.  Please review the relevant FAQ 
for your software and ensure you are following a proceedure which returns 
intact spam content to SpamCop.

In this sample, the problem was found near the line:
via BYAPR04CA0031.NAMPRD04.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM; Fri, 15 Feb 2019 18:33:43 +0000"

Hi Dr_Bobbs, may I ask, are you accessing Outlook.live [ https://outlook.live.com/mail/inbox ] (used to be Hotmail) via web browser? Could you let us know:

1. Outlook.live access, web or app?

2. Browser type?

3. Operating system (e.g. Win10, 8 etc)?

Cheers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, dr_bobbs said:

I tried searching for "Controlled folder access" in settings, but it doesn't come up with anything.

without quotation marks open "All settings " in "windows settings" first
Even works in search bar bottom left of screen WIN10 I'm talking about?

Edited by petzl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi MIG, yes I am accessing Outlook.live [ https://outlook.live.com/mail/inbox ] (used to be Hotmail) via web browser. 

1. Outlook.live access: web

2. Browser type: Chrome 72.0.3626.109 (Official Build) (64-bit)

3. Operating system: Win 7 Professional

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi petzl, I don't see "All settings " or "windows settings" anywhere.

I tried them in search bar bottom left of screen, running Win 7 Professional, but don't find them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dr_bobbs said:

Hi petzl, I don't see "All settings " or "windows settings" anywhere.

I tried them in search bar bottom left of screen, running Win 7 Professional, but don't find them.

Different operating System. I went from WINXP to WIN8 now WIN10 64bit touch screen so can't help.

 

Edited by petzl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried now using IE 11 browser instead of Chrome 72 as before,  "View message source" in Hotmail, and copying and pasting that.

Now SpamCop replies with this:

"X-SpamCop-Conf header not found - submission incomplete

Please try again"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dr_bobbs said:

I tried now using IE 11 browser instead of Chrome 72 as before,  "View message source" in Hotmail, and copying and pasting that.

Now SpamCop replies with this:

"X-SpamCop-Conf header not found - submission incomplete

Please try again"

AGAIN send a tracking URL?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello dr_bobbs, Thanks!

Please try the following:

 for all broswers

  1. Export bookmarks
  2. Backup settings
  3. Clear cache, cookies, history

The next step you may wish to test first, that way if it's not successful in accessing full source data there's no point doing a full setup.

A. Copy & paste [  https://outlook.live.com/owa/?path=/classic#  ] into browser of your choice

B. Sign in to Microsoft Outlook.live account,

C. Select spam email, then the normal procedure you've always used successfully...

D. Copy/paste source data to SpamCop Parser.

If these steps above work the following, adding the Outlook.live url to your Browser's StartUp pages & as a Bookmark to the Bookmarks Bar &/or Favourite to the Favourites Bar makes accessing Outlook.live relatively painless.

The attached images are GoogleChrome & Edge. I'm reinstalling my system so don't have Firefox up yet; really only use GC/FF/Brave/SeaMonkey/Opera, steer clear of MS browsers unless doing comparisons.

If you run in to strife please post the SpamCop parser TRACKING URL, that'll be generated when you parse the spam, it'll look like this:

https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6521818891z360c44cbb9117c7ae19e22b1ddb3c884z

If you do succeed please let us know?

Cheers.

GC-[SETTINGS][ONSTARTUP] add [OL url].jpg

EDGE-OL.jpg

GC-OL-BM-BM_BAR.jpg

OL-VIEW_MSG_SOURCE.jpg

Edited by MIG
txt correction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, petzl said:

without quotation marks open "All settings " in "windows settings" first
Even works in search bar bottom left of screen WIN10 I'm talking about?

Hey Petzl,

(Win10) Can't get past: "Page not available", see image, even with full Admin account/all privileges. 'Cause it's annoying me, I'm gunna remove Anti-V-software & see if that's the answer. And, 'cause my computer got fried during last weeks storms I've dragged out an old Win7 so I'll check the same there & post.

Cheers. 

 

CTLD FLDR ACCESS.png

Edited by MIG
Edited txt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello MIG,

Thanks for all that! I completed up through Step B, but could not complete Step "C. Select spam email, then the normal procedure you've always used successfully..."

My normal procedure was to select "View message source" under the "..." menu. But now the "..." menu (which incidentally has now moved further to the left, almost to center) no longer contains a "View message source" selection choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dr_bobbs said:

Hello MIG,

Thanks for all that! I completed up through Step B, but could not complete Step "C. Select spam email, then the normal procedure you've always used successfully..."

My normal procedure was to select "View message source" under the "..." menu. But now the "..." menu (which incidentally has now moved further to the left, almost to center) no longer contains a "View message source" selection choice.

Good morning dr_bobbs,

Would you mind posting a few screen prints please, so I can see exactly what you see; don't forget to "censor" any private info 😊

Edited by MIG
spelling!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*** old Outlook.live - 1st image:

OLD-OUTLOOK.jpg

"View msg source" 2nd image:

OL-VIEW_MSG_SOURCE.jpg

*** new Outlook.live - 3rd image:

NEW Outlook.live, screen 3.jpg

***new Outlook.live, image 4, accessing [View msg source].jpg, open spam email, select 3 ... dots, circled green, select  [View msg source] from [dropdown] list

NEW Outlook.live, image 4, accessing [View msg source].jpg

Edited by MIG
Modified attached image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, MIG said:

(Win10) Can't get past: "Page not available"

Run a scan with your "Anti-V-software", looks like that's what shut your browser down?
Get the latest WIN10 upgrade  "Windows10Upgrade9252.exe"  from Microsoft

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-fall-creators-update-how-to-get-it-now/c034b09b-eec4-4647-8baf-0638327e1867

Edited by petzl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, petzl said:

Run a scan with your "Anti-V-software", looks like that's what shut your browser down?
Get the latest WIN10 upgrade  "Windows10Upgrade9252.exe"  from Microsoft

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-fall-creators-update-how-to-get-it-now/c034b09b-eec4-4647-8baf-0638327e1867

Hey Petzl,

Thank you, however, on  my W10 system I have the latest W10v; not sure what's meant by: "looks like that's what shut your browser down", none of my browsers shut down. AV scans run automatically-continously. I'm in the process of REMOVING AV as expert opinion is that's what's causing [Win Security][Security at a glance][Page not available] issue.

  • Re me checking if this issue is replicable on Win7, I'm only checking that to help out dr_bobbs as he said: 

quote: "Hi petzl, I don't see "All settings " or "windows settings" anywhere. I tried them in search bar bottom left of screen, running Win 7 Professional, but don't find them" unquote

  • &, I may not be able to replicate the  issue on Win7 laptop as I don't use Win7 Professional.
  • & after having 10 days of hell from a devastating🌩️🌪️🌩️  grass🦗hopper's not in the mood to upgrade anything😩

Cheers☺️.

 

Edited by MIG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×