how to submit

alexxy

im brand new so forgive my ignorance, but i 'think' i just submitted two spams to spamcop. however, i did this by using ctrl-f3 & copying/pasting. should i just have attached it (outlook express 6) when i send mail ? i cant forward it from what i know, but i can just send it. thanks

Please look in the FAQ located in these forums, specifically all the information under: SpamCop Parsing and Reporting Service and post back with specific questions, including a little more detail in how you are reporting.

In my reading of your message, it looks like you are copy/pasting into a new message and emailing that to spamcop. However, you could also be copy/pasting diretly into the parser (saving a couple steps in the process).

hi & thanks for reply... ive looked over the faq pages & even some advice from lavasoft forum, so i think im doing this right. however, can you just tell me if in outlook express 6 i right click on the spam, can i just forward as an attachment w/o ctrl-f3 ? i see nothing about how to forward as an attchment.

also, if im not doing this correctly, will i get feedback ? do you normally hear anything after you submit these ?

thanks for your patience - i really am trying.

even some advice from lavasoft forum

Where does lavasoft come into the picture? You mention the use of Outlook Express.

I do not use OE but I believe from the message list you can select all the spam messages and right-click "Forward as attachment". You should get a reply back with the Subject: SpamCop has accepted X email for processing.

Some exceptions to that are listed in the FAQ within this forum:

How do I submit spam via email?

E-Mail spam submittals blocked by your ISP?

Emailed spam Submissions Disappearing?, No Confirmation e-mails?

The next step is to either follow the link within the SpamCop has accepted email or go to your reporting page and click on the "Report Now" link. No reports are sent until YOU complete the process of sending YOUR reports.

In OE, when you right click, a menu pops up with 'Forward as Attachment' as one of the items. Choose it. (ctrl-F3 is an alternate method).

You need to have the email highlighted. In fact you can highlight several (there are MB limits on how many MB you can submit to spamcop, but 10 usually works all right. If it doesn't, then you will not get an auto response email from spamcop).

When you get the auto response, you click on the link within it and it takes you to the reporting page. You do not need to wait for the auto response, but can check the web page to see if you have 'Unreported spam' Also, once you have clicked one link in the auto response, you can continue to report all the spam you have sent without going back to the auto response email to choose another one.

spamcop will parse the email and give you several options to report. Then you 'send' the reports with the 'send' button or 'cancel' the parse. You can uncheck boxes (some people do not send reports to third parties, for instance).

HTH

Miss Betsy

i havent been able to log on for hours but i did thank miss betsy first thing when i could .... & i wanted to thank everyone including this miraculous site for ridding my email of all the trash for the first time in YEARS. i am elated w/the results & i couldnt be more thankful. so THANK YOU MISS BETSY & all! im passing the good word about spamcop....

judgement? ... I'm only referring to your post that is nothing but a complete quote of Miss Betsy's previous .... ignoring that if the missing words were just "thank you" then there was no reason at all for the quote (especially the entire post being quoted) .. I was just making sure that Miss Betsy heard the words I believe were intended in that faulty post.

& i wanted to thank everyone including this miraculous site for ridding my email of all the trash for the first time in YEARS. i am elated w/the results & i couldnt be more thankful. so THANK YOU MISS BETSY & all! im passing the good word about spamcop....

23430[/snapback]

If you think reporting by forwarding is miraculous you should see what you can get for only US$30 a year! We present ... the SpamCop filtered email account - the only email address you'll ever need! ;-)

thanks - ill look into that email.

& sorry about posting the partial quote from miss betsy... im still learning to navigate (i think i was trying to reply). ughh.

hey, but no spam today again. its unbelievable. ive got lots of learning to do - i still cant believe that by reporting 3 spams, approx 30 spams are completely eliminated. i told miss betsy that i better check into firewall protcection now because am concerned about retaliation.

1. Forwarding by ATTACHMENT is the preferred way to submit spam to Spamcop.net

2. Be sure to set up your MAILHOSTS BEFORE submitting spam to spamcop or you might end up busting your ISP instead of the spammers.

3. Submitting spam to spamcop does not have an immediate effect on spam received...unless you're only receiving spam from a couple of sources.

The fact that you had an immediate effect can not be rationally explained by your submissions to spamcop.net...it's only a coincidence.

oh-oh. .. i dont know what mailhosts are (if you care to explain or direct me) :unsure: & am a bit concerned over my "immediate" coincidental effect. i better enjoy it while it lasts. im going over to the "how to "forum when get a chance. thanks

• 3 weeks later...

ok i have to admit i havent read much about mailhosts but did go to the site flag suggested & it guides you thru adding your mail host. can i just go ahead & follow thru w/this or do you suggest reading more about it. im limited for time & am concerned about your comment of busting my isp. ive submitted several spams now & its still significantly reduced my mail garbage.

Many different view points here .... My view ... you are attempting to use a new tool. I offered a starting spot to look up some words, see the Forum FAQ list where it would be hoped that you see other things you haven't asked yet or will run into, and pick up data available there before running into problems. As seen here, others would point you to a specific item, thinking that it saves time ... and as seen here, that can also lead to confusion.

It has been noted that using any tool does require some care and knowledge to use it safely. Many folks have worked through the MailHost configuration with no problems ... others have stumbled mightily going down that same path. You are the only one with any idea about how complex your e-mail situation might be ....

MailHost configuration is an aid to help prevent you from reporting yourself ... you can stilll do it, again, just an aid ...

Quick-Reporting can be a nice option for some, but again noting that if something goes wrong, you can end up reporting yourself (or other innocents) ...

The SpamCop parsing/reporting tool is only that ... and any tool requires supervision ... per the agreement made when signing up, you are the responsible party for which reports go out and where they end up when you hit the Send button ....

bear w/me here - im trying to read about mailhosts while replying too - but, how would i report myself ?

also, i dont even know what quick report is ... all i know is that i copy the email (cntrl f3) & paste it into the report in one lump. i dont get any responses or reports emailed back to me & i just assume all is done. hopefully, im doing this ok, as ive said, theres been a great reduction in my spam.

You don't really report 'yourself' - you report your ISP. Occasionally, the parser 'burps' or has a problem reaching some of the look ups it does. When that happens the parser won't get any farther than the headers your ISP puts on the email and the check boxes will say to send the report to your ISP. If you are cutting and pasting, you should see that and cancel the report. I am assuming that after you cut and paste, that you do choose to send the report. If not, you have not been reporting anything all this time.

However, there is another way to submit spam to be reported where you do not see the check boxes before you send the report - that's the quick reporting.

Also, reporting spam does not usually result in a reduction of spam. In fact, spam often increases after beginning reporting though there is probably no causal relationship. The reason being that when spam becomes enough of a problem that someone seeks out ways to do something about it, it is because the email address has been added to a list that is being sold and many more spammers are sending spam. The amount of spam ebbs and flows for reasons that are also inexplicable. While one person is ecstatic that no spam has arrived for two days, others are experiencing an increase.

Miss Betsy

Archived