ISP Blocklist Help

kpcom

Greetings everyone,

About two days ago, I received a bounced e-mail from a domain which has been using the filter/block list from spamcop.net. I was wondering why was the e-mail bounced when the IP of my ISP IMSS server was not listed in the block list (nor can I find any information why it was blocked in the first place). I really appreciate it if anyone could help me get more information/interpretation regarding this matter. The following are the contents of the bounced e-mail:

> This is the Postfix program at host 202.160.21.82.

>

> I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be

> be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

>

> For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

>

> If you do so, please include this problem report. You can

> delete your own text from the attached returned message.

>

> The Postfix program

>

> <xxxxxxxxx[at]bisnesscenter.com>: host ms2.mail-shield.com[69.72.142.134]

said:

> 550-rejected because 202.160.21.82 is in a black list at

bl.spamcop.net

> 550

> Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?202.160.21.82 (in reply

to

> RCPT TO command)

Thanks.

Regards,

kpcom

There is some interesting data in SenderBase which suggests there may be indeed a problem with that IP:

Volume Statistics for this IP 

Magnitude Vol Change vs. Average

Last day 4.9 640%

Last 30 days 4.8 489%

Average 4.0 

The large increase in volume suggests the system behind the IP may be compromized.

Two days is a long time, especialy noting that one can no longer report spam older than 2 days, and 2 days is also the age-off time for a SpamCopDNSBL listing after the spew stops. Yes, that IP is not listed now. However, it very well could have been at the time that e-mail was sent. There could also be a configuration problem at the recipient ISP, such that the e-mail was blocked for some reason, but the error message wrongly identified SpamCop.

However, the signs that dra007 points to are historically pointing to a probable problem situation. That SenderBase page notes 71 domains hosted, but then lists 58 identifed e-mail servers.... is the IP address you show in your rejected sample only serveing "you" or is it a shared system? Have you asked your ISP or the other ISP for any assistance or data? Have you re-sent the e-mail to see if the problem is "clear" .. based on the current "not listed" status ?

Archived