Thunderbird forward as attachment works @50%

spiralocean

I tried looking for a thread about this, tried Thunderbird forward attachment, and didn't see anything immediate.

There seems to be a problem with the search engine:

I typed in Thunderbird "forward as attachment" and got some strange error message. But I digress...

I'm using mac os 10.3.7

Thunderbird version 1.0 (20041206)

and have noticed a strange occurence in my SpamCop reporting.

I don't know why, but about %50 of the time, when I say forward as attachment, thunderbird will create an empty attachment, with the name of the subject of the email.

I'm on the lookout for emails that work.

Can anyone point me to a thread where this has been addressed?

Thank you.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There seems to be a problem with the search engine:

I typed in Thunderbird "forward as attachment" and got some strange error message.  But I digress...

Discussion in the IPB support Forum point to a mySQL 'feature' of not indexing words of less than 4 characters.

I don't know why, but about %50 of the time, when I say forward as attachment, thunderbird will create an empty attachment, with the name of the subject of the email.

Can anyone point me to a thread where this has been addressed?

I'm not going to say that my memory is perfect, but this is the first post I've seen suggesting this problem.

Discussion in the IPB support Forum point to a mySQL 'feature' of not indexing words of less than 4 characters.

I'm not going to say that my memory is perfect, but this is the first post I've seen suggesting this problem.

24061[/snapback]

Thanks for the response Wazoo!

I did find this reference in the "paired" down version of the forums.

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/lofiversio....php/t3507.html

But this only hints at the problem.

Here are the results of my test:

1. When I say forward as attachment, the forwarded email comes up, I click on the attachment it is going to forward, and it is Always blank.

2. Forwarded a non-spam email to myself, and opened up the attachment to see the email.

3. Forwarded a spam email to myself, and it opened up blank.

Conclusions:

1. There is a problem with Thunderbird.

2. My outgoing mail server is clearing my spam attachments?

Any other conclusions or thoughts are appreciated.

Was on the phone with a Qwest person, trying to dig some data out from that end. Tried to pass on some questions here, via PM, etc .. but not fast enough with the one-handed typing I guess.

Lady wouldn't admit that Qwest was deleting/ripping out attachments .... but repeatedly stated that her Yahoo mail seemed to show up like that a lot (empty attachments) ... she went on talking about some people / companies using firewalls and stuff that Qwest didn't support .. on and on ... I gave her the posting IP, she had to fire up three ot four applications to 'find' it (once telling me it was in Houston, than changing it to Chicago, then agreeing with where I said it was located <g>) .. For whatever reason, she tried Telnet'ing to that address and was flumoxed at getting an immediate response at needing to provide a password on the serial port ..... (actually have both of us wondering what kind of firewall is running there <g>)

Anyway, about this time, spiralocean is off line, so ..... don't think I accomplished much ...

Hey Wazoo... still here. Just intermitantly.

Thanks for all the extra effort! SpamCop doesn't pay you enough... okay... so they don't pay you anything. :-o

I'm glad to see that my Firewall works though. :-)

I'm running Intego's Firwall on a mac, and am also behind a LynkSys router. My guess is she hit the router that was asking for a serial port? I know my computer doesn't have a serial port... as it's a mac.

Again, thanks for hurculean effort. At the very least you gave my paranoia a wack by having someone try to telnet to my computer... either that or gave my confidence in Qwest a wack.

All that to say... thanks.

Lady wouldn't admit that Qwest was deleting/ripping out attachments .... but repeatedly stated that her Yahoo mail seemed to show up like that a lot (empty attachments) ...

24066[/snapback]

I think what she may be talking about is virus software that is scanning out viruses in her email before they get to her.

However, my problem seems to be more with sending out attachments. Deductions?

1. Thunderbird is missending the attachment.

2. My SMTP server is scanning out spam and deleting attachments.

3. Spamcops pop server is scanning out spam and deleting attachments.

4. Somewhere in all the hops the email takes to get from my computer and back to my computer, something is cleaning out my emails and filtering what I say.

I'll cross out #3 as a deduction. And #4 starts getting into voodo or extreme paranoia. That leaves 1 or 2.

hmmm... I think the problem may be more with Thunderbird than anything else.

When I forward as attachment to my spamcop account, and use my browser to check the inbox, the attachment is there.

When the email is downloaded to Thunderbird, there is nothing in the attachment.

However... I just went to Thunderbird->View->Display Attachments online, and the attachment appears in my email.

Why it doesn't appear when I save it to the desktop and open it with text edit? I have no clue.

This entire thread started when I kept getting messages from Spamcop that the spam I was forwarding as attachment had no data. My assumption was that Thunderbird was not sending the data. But that doesn't seem like the case. It seems that Thunderbird just won't let me see the data?

¢¢

• 4 weeks later...
hmmm... I think the problem may be more with Thunderbird than anything else.

When I forward as attachment to my spamcop account, and use my browser to check the inbox, the attachment is there.

When the email is downloaded to Thunderbird, there is nothing in the attachment.

However... I just went to Thunderbird->View->Display Attachments online, and the attachment appears in my email.

Why it doesn't appear when I save it to the desktop and open it with text edit?  I have no clue.

This entire thread started when I kept getting messages from Spamcop that the spam I was forwarding as attachment had no data.  My assumption was that Thunderbird was not sending the data.  But that doesn't seem like the case.  It seems that Thunderbird just won't let me see the data?

¢¢

24070[/snapback]

Well, I'm using the Windows version of Thunderbird, and have started having the same problem. The weird thing is that I've been using Thunderbird for over two months, but the problem only started a couple of weeks ago. In other words, "Forward As Attachment" used to work, but now it doesn't. So what's changed? I am not aware of anything on my PC that changed (that's not to say nothing changed, just saying I'm not aware of any new changes). My ISP changed their email software right about the time this started happening, so I'm very suspicious of whatever they did. I can forward a piece of email as an attachment and send it to SpamCop with a cc: to my yahoo email, and the yahoo email gets everything just fine. But SpamCop says "No body provided, check format of submission". I'm just hypothesizing, but it appears that my ISP's new email server is doing something to the headers that SpamCop is unhappy with. Here is a link to one I just sent:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z739408739z92...54020901c8fddez

This was a single email, sent as an attachment. Note that SpamCop could process the headers, it just couldn't find the body of the email.

The weird thing is that about 5% of the time, SpamCop is able to process the email I forward as an attachment.

Looking quickly at your message, I have never seen boundries within boundries as your message contains. This is not saying that it is wrong or even that it is the problem, just that I do not remember ever seeing it before.

Content-Type: multipart/related;

boundary="------------051708050102040608080005"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

Content-Type: multipart/alternative;

boundary="------------090801040206090902040006"

Content-Type: text/plain;

charset="windows-1251"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Content-Type: text/html;

charset="windows-1251"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit

--------------090801040206090902040006--

Content-Type: image/gif;

name="Muwq.GIF"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

Content-ID: <part1.03040305.07040802[at]cnqvkyln[at]illuminet.net>

--------------051708050102040608080005--

OK, I just manually reported two new spams. I used Thunderbird's "View Message Source" and cut & pasted the header & body into the SpamCop report form. When I submitted the forms, SpamCop said it couldn't find the bodies of the spam!

So it appears at least one group of clever spammers has figured out a way to temporarily confuse SpamCop.

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z739559439z57...2c3464f6b0ec96z

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z739561926zdd...c63bc6c20627f6z

Those last two appear to be bug in the way that SpamCop's Parser interprets bodies when inserting "X-SpamCop-note: Converted to text/plain by SpamCop (outlook/eudora hack)".

Those last two appear to be bug in the way that SpamCop's Parser interprets bodies when inserting "X-SpamCop-note: Converted to text/plain by SpamCop (outlook/eudora hack)".

25106[/snapback]

What does that mean? Do I need to change something on my end, or is this a well-known bug in SpamCop that will eventually be fixed? I'm getting about 30/hr of these, they're slipping thru the normal SpamCop filters and ending up in my Inbox. I figure if I can report 'em, eventually SpamCop will be able to recognize 'em and put them in my held mail. But, as things stand right now, I can't even report 'em. Aargh!

This does not appear to be a well-known bug (I don't see anybody else complaining about it), but I understand your frustration. Please direct your "Aargh!" with details to the Deputies via deputies <at> spamcop.net. Thanks!

I just had another thought on this - if you pasted only into the top part of the two-part form, you might get those results. Did you try separating header from body using the two-part form, or using the one-part form?

I just had another thought on this - if you pasted only into the top part of the two-part form, you might get those results.  Did you try separating header from body using the two-part form, or using the one-part form?

25116[/snapback]

Jeff,

I used the two-part form. I definitely put the body in the second part of the form.

Here's an email that SpamCop caught and (correctly) moved to my held mail folder. From there, I released it. When it got to my Inbox, I forwarded it as an attachment. SpamCop was unhappy with it, got the same old message that the body was missing. I thought you might find this interesting, because when SpamCop sees it forwarded from my email server, it CAN decipher the header & body, yet when I forward it from my email client, SpamCop CANNOT parse the email correctly.

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z739664991z50...e91db5c3ee20ecz

What if you were to take a similar spam message sitting in your Held Mail, go to VER, select that spam message and one of the "Queue for reporting" Actions, and click "Release / Delete selected messages"?

Also, what if you were to take a similar spam message sitting in your Held Mail, and forward it to your submit address?

What if you were to take a similar spam message sitting in your Held Mail, go to VER, select that spam message and one of the "Queue for reporting" Actions, and click "Release / Delete selected messages"?

25120[/snapback]

Same thing happens. See:

[/url'>

Also, what if you were to take a similar spam message sitting in your Held Mail, and forward it to your submit address?

25120[/snapback]

No difference in behavior. See:

[url=http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z739672900zd246037dc49dd685e76eec316f8d7ef3z

Guess it's safe to say it's not a problem with Thunderbird.

It is now. :)

25122[/snapback]

Huh? If a piece of spam hits my Pop server and is forwarded to my SpamCop acct, where SpamCop puts it in my Held Email folder, then I redirect that spam to my SpamCop submit address, then I am truly mystified at how this could possibly have anything to do with Thunderbird. In fact, the email never got delivered to my PC.

I'm having problems sorting all this stuff out. On the other hand, I've delved enough to kick a note upstairs on some of the examples offered in this discussion.

I don't quite follow the use of the 2-part form for a cut/paste operation using something other than Outlook/Eudora .. that 2-part form is basically a hack to work around issues with those 2 specific e-mail clients. Using this bit of hack on what would normally be an TFC-compliant e-mail probably confuses the heck out of the parsing ... not lucid enough to play with that right now ...

On the other hand, here's the content of my e-mail up the chain;

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3622

includes several Tracking URLs from several users ...

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z739559439z57...2c3464f6b0ec96z

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z739408739z92...54020901c8fddez

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z739540802z43...5c97322d154795z

Here's my take - JT has a 'standard' set of X-Lines inserted ...

Julian wrote some code to ignore this block of data in the parser

Problem is that the first "X" is left in the remaining parsed item,

leading to the error of "no blank line" between header and body"

Result is the infamous "spammers have found a way to confuse

SpamCop" bit of rant.

Suggestion: Julian needs to revisit that part of recent codebase.

What this has to do with Thunderbird, I haven't a clue at this point.

Another, possibly redundant data point. I went into my Held Email, selected the top item, and selected "Queue for reporting - move to trash" and released that message. As before, when I went to "Report spam", the headers were decoded, and SpamCop said "No body provided". This is another email that stayed in the SpamCop domain since being forwarded from my Pop server.

Ref: http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z739785243z31...5b81bd8d905fa0z

Yes, I'd say redundant. If you look at your own Tracking URL provided, notice the lone "X" after the Content-Type description lines. But once again, I'm still having problems with connecting this issue with the Topic Title of Thunderbird Forwarding problems ...

Archived